Old May 16th, 2015, 02:43 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiford View Post
My wife and I had dinner with some old friends this week. One topic of conversation was that my friends husband was recently let go of his position for, what he claims was, a trumped up charge.

Travis (friends husband) was the service manager of a dealership.
He claims he went to visit a customer who was upset with the service his team had provided. The matter was ultimately resolved but the customer called and complained.

Ultimately he was terminated which he feels was unjust... No prior instances of this type of thing, no investigation, etc.

Do any of you have experience dealing with an unemployment situation like this? One where there were no witnesses, no proof of either sides claim?

The conversation was shocking to me because I thought the burden of proof was higher than what he described for termination.

What say you...
Was she hot?
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If dealer required the home visit it automatically places that employee at risk of allegation of wrongdoing. Visits like that should always be done in pairs.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 16th, 2015, 09:25 AM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
most U.S. positions regardless of industry are employment at will. As someone stated here it is as simple as you can be let go at any time for no reason (not any reason) and you also have the right to leave at any time. Although some employers claim a notice period I think you could successfully argue in court that since you are at will employment you do not legally have to provide that notice (just like they could fire you on the spot).

I should note I am not an attorney and definitely not employed in employment law but have been a manager for large groups of employees for many years and that is my experience.

In contrast much of Canada and a lot of EU countries have an entirely different standard where it is quite difficult to let people go and even if it is for cause (such as poor performance) you end up paying them a severance or some type of separation package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2015, 09:57 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Always work under a contract.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:01 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Always work under a contract.
Or don't harass or assault someone. No proof that the claim(which nobody knows what it is) is false and the firing is unfounded except for opinions presented by the OP.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:03 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Or don't harass or assault someone. No proof that the claim(which nobody knows what it is) is false and the firing is unfounded except for opinions presented by the OP.

Relax chief. This ain't a court of law. We all realize that he only told one side of the story.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Just to clarify, there is a limit on the number of associates you can let go at any given time without notice or compensation
The WARN ACT
However, something is in the back of my dirty mind, what was the sex of said customer your friend visited?
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:18 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Relax chief. This ain't a court of law. We all realize that he only told one side of the story.
I know. I'm just saying doing nothing bad generally doesn't get you fired. Contract will always be better like you said.
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:34 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Just to clarify, there is a limit on the number of associates you can let go at any given time without notice or compensation
The WARN ACT
However, something is in the back of my dirty mind, what was the sex of said customer your friend visited?
That's why I asked... was she hot?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, fire