Finding a shipper for the west coast - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Finding a shipper for the west coast

So I pulled the trigger on a diesel 110. Next step is getting it here. Does any one know of or have used a shipper that comes to the west side? The guy building my truck gave me a reference but they only go east coast. I dont care what port it comes into, probably Tacoma, I have heard customs there is a bit easier. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Consider shipping a container. A 110 is 15' long, so with a 20' container that gives you 5' of space to fill with "stuff" that you can resell to offset the additional cost. Plus you can load up the interior of your vehicle.

Request a quote for door to door service, such that the container will be taken to your seller for loading, transported to the docks, loaded onto the vessel, and shipped by rail to a freight terminal, and then trucked to your unloading location. They can quote you a price for that, and that can be wherever you want it to be, which would save you the expense of transporting the vehicle from port to your location. Note that there will still be customs and brokerage fees on top of the shipping quote.

This is the company that PA Blanchard used when I imported my 110.

KINGSTON INTERNATIONAL FORWARDING LIMITED
WYKELAND HOUSE
47 QUEEN STREET
HULL. HU1 1UU.
EAST YORKSHIRE.
TEL: 01482 325061
FAX: 01482 225386
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

What is the best "stuff"to bring back for re sale ie. what does everyone need the most of that wont cause problems at customs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Other than tires, pretty much any part is is OK as long as you have it listed on a commercial invoice and the container manifest. Tires get DOT scrutiny, better to avoid.

I'd bring things that are pretty cheap in the UK and not readily available in the US, like 300TDi's and R380's, front Salisbury's, Sankey trailers, maybe 1.4 and 1.6 LT230's.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I had no trouble with customs, and I had a wide assortment of crap. Just think of stuff that is heavy/bulky and hard to get here. Such as Tdi engines, Defender seats, PTO winches, etc. For some strange reason there is no import duty on seats. My container came through Houston and cleared customs in Denver. I suspect I was fortunate, your experience could be dramatically different. Sometimes they'll do a thorough inspection of the contents of a container, and charge you for their time spent doing that. I paid for an x-ray in Houston but that was it in terms of inspection fees.

Shop eBay.uk and have the sellers ship to your loading point, and when you have it all together, load the container. If you shop the retail outlets, i.e., John Craddock etc., then they'll have to charge you VAT since they would be shipping within the UK, but that can be refunded once they see proof of export.

Keep in mind that doing this is a pain in the butt, takes cash, and it takes a long time. Only you can decide whether it's worthwhile or not. There will be unexpected charges along the way. I did it primarily because I also wanted a 200tdi to swap into the 110, and had I shipped ro-ro then I would have had to ship the engine separately. Had I just wanted the truck, then I probably would have shipped ro-ro just to spare me the brain damage.

Finally, the gurus say the GBP is eventually going to fall versus the USD, but in reality it seems to be trending upward.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

It's a crap shoot...the last 3 three shipments from the UK I've done had to have a HS-7 form for each, with additional duty applied

I thought you couldn't "fill the interior" of a truck...
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
From my understanding that is for things like RORO or shipping just your truck. In a container, "anything" goes.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post

Finally, the gurus say the GBP is eventually going to fall versus the USD, but in reality it seems to be trending upward.
Just so long as it doesn't happen until I get all my sterling moved to USD!

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2011 08:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
It's a crap shoot...the last 3 three shipments from the UK I've done had to have a HS-7 form for each, with additional duty applied

RoRo it must be empty, in a container it can be loaded. Mine is sitting in a USCBP bonded warehouse right now getting an intensive inspection because I have a bunch of personal items (clothes, papers, etc.) in my truck. I hope Doug doesn't charge too much for "importer hair loss"!
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat