Financing a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM
danbaileytribe
Dan Bailey
1988 Defender 110

Financing a Defender

So far it seems only classic car lending companies like Woodside or JJ Best that will finance a Defender. Are there any normal (not "classic car") lenders who will cover a 1988 Defender? It seems like most don't have old Land Rovers in their computer systems and thus can't approve a loan for them. How did you finance yours? My credit is not the best, is it possible to have a co-signer?

(If this is the wrong place to post this question please refer me to the proper place)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
i will be brutally honest dude...take it for what you want. If you have to finance one of these it is not for you. UNLESS - you are purchasing a $50-70K version that is warrantied. Simply put, buying a $20K truck and expecting to finance it, and not spend anymore money - you are kidding yourself. You will spend another $10-20K "sorting it out"...they are simply money pits...glorious, lovely, cool and unique ones - but money pits all the same.

Figure out how you can save money and pay cash for one - and then resolve yourself to never get back out of it what you put into it...and you will be a happy man, with one of the most iconic vehicles int he world in your stable.

Sorry if that comes across to blunt...just some ol man real world experience.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I hate to point out the obvious, but if you have bad credit you probably shouldn't be financing a 25+ year old vehicle.
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:49 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Firstly yes this is in the wrong section however… This is like the guy that posts a question about how to install a/c in his truck… everyone tells him why they never use theirs and why he doesnt need it. Its his money and his credit... he wants to finance his defender its his business. he is asking for lending sources…not financial advice.

personally I happen to agree with you both and have only paid cash for my defenders but thats not the point of the question.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:58 PM
l*factor
Daniel
Range Rover Sport Supercharged

If it's not an NAS model then it gets tricky. PenFed is willing to accept an appraisal by a third party if you can get it lined up. They typically have really nice rates as well.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:54 PM
danbaileytribe
Dan Bailey
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Firstly yes this is in the wrong section however… This is like the guy that posts a question about how to install a/c in his truck… everyone tells him why they never use theirs and why he doesnt need it. Its his money and his credit... he wants to finance his defender its his business. he is asking for lending sources…not financial advice.

personally I happen to agree with you both and have only paid cash for my defenders but thats not the point of the question.
Sorry should have explained further but it's complicated...long story short, I'm actually refinancing one I have already purchased...Already took the plunge last year and yes, had to pay a ton of repairs so here I am, moving forward. For various reasons, original loan was in NC but car is in NY and I don't want to take it down to NC for inspection, according to the NC loan company, my only option is to refinance in NY but it has to be through a different company. Credit is only an issue if it's a "classic" car lending company as they have more strict credit requirements and not sure if these companies will accept a cosign. Easily approved for an auto loan through my normal bank but they won't cover this specific vehicle.

Where is the right section to post?
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:04 PM
fireball
Ben
Shopping!

Sounds like chit-chat to me!

Can you get a local smaller credit union to give you a signature loan using the truck as collateral? I understand it then isn't exactly a signature loan, but smaller banks have a bit more flexibility.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:55 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Actually, financing a Defender may not be a bad decision even if you could afford to pay cash. it's generally not a rapidly depreciating asset, and if the rate is good enough your money will do more for you generating a return even if it's just market average.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

It would suck but you can borrow against a 401(k) with your current employer IF the plan allows it subject to plan rules if course. This may be a way to get out of a pickle.
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:23 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I would look at some local Credit Union offices. I financed my 97 and had a very low rate.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You have bad credit yet want to borrow more???? For a second Rover??
Please take a step back and stop digging your own credit grave.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:48 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
USAA member? If so, they'll be happy to finance absolutely everything. I've done a '66 Corvette, a '60 Porsche, our '93 110 and many other easier vehicles...they're impossible to beat!
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
USAA member? If so, they'll be happy to finance absolutely everything. I've done a '66 Corvette, a '60 Porsche, our '93 110 and many other easier vehicles...they're impossible to beat!
X2 for USAA. They financed my '56 Series 1 107 when I needed the cash faster than my other options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Why do you need to bring it to NC for inspection? Emissions/Registration inspection? Wouldn't it be exempt?
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pretty sure you can have it inspected out of state. I remember looking into it years ago when I was thinking about registering one of my cars down at my parents' NC house but keeping it up here.
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Pretty sure you can have it inspected out of state. I remember looking into it years ago when I was thinking about registering one of my cars down at my parents' NC house but keeping it up here.
You can... thats is what I am getting at.

If you get a passing NYS inspection done, fax the form down to NC License & Theft Bureau they will release the inspection hold and you can renew online. Very simple.

Note: this is if you have a legitimate reason to have the vehicle out of state and can't make it back to NC to register... military, temporarily working out of state etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender