Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 25th, 2003, 01:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Finally have a roof

Got the fiberglass hardtop on

It is so nice to have heat but it is so weird driving with a roof. Its quiet, crap does not fly out of the back.

Man if it had room in it for my left arm it would just be like the disco.

Anyway I was just posting to say that it is way better than a soft top for noise and weatherproofness. It is a complete crap design but it does its job.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:40 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Did you order a number of these a while back that came in damaged? Do you have any that might take some work to get back together (even a lot of fiberglass work)? I'm not concerned with keeping the original finish, but rather filling in the texture and painting the whole thing black. So I'm looking for a damaged but fixable top to work with.

BTW - are the windows in the HT glass or plexi?
Old October 26th, 2003, 11:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have one busted side if it will help (not likely). Other than that everything I have is on the truck, chris cox has a busted roof.

windows are glass.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2003, 10:59 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

How are your window seals...siliconed my top in all the right places, and it is leak proof....the only spot I seem to get water in is where the windows meet the seals.

I just put in a new set of door seals, and still get a puddle inside. I have not determined if it is coming through the seal area or actually running under the window and through the bolt holes the hold the windows in place.

Mark
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

FWIW-

The first year that I put my fiberglass top on my self I went around and put silicone sealer on all the bolts and square washers along the top to stop leaks. The good news is that it worked really well but the bad news is that it was a PITA to get the bolts off in the spring. I had to go around with a razor and cut away the silicon. Now I use what's called "cord weather-stripping" (you can find it on most hardware web-sites).

http://builders-hardware.aubuchonhar...rip-271225.asp

I just put a little ribbon under the washers and tighten away. Not only does it stop the leaks it has an added benefit of letting you know how much to tighten the bolt, i.e. once it starts to squeeze out that's usually tight enough. I also use it seal the gaps around the roll bars.

Hope this helps out

Eric

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
roof