Finally - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Finally

Well after all this time I am headed to OR to pick up the newest member to my my family - an orginal owner Beluga Black 97 ST w/60K miles, and although a little more than expected, a slight misunderstanding on my part, I think $23,500 is a good deal. Although I need to add the A/C kit which adds $2,000.

I am flying up on Thursday and have an inspection scheduled at Portland LR and barring any unforeseen damages/repairs will be driving it back to Sunny California after the check changes hands. It sounds a little crazy but I can't put into words my excitement. It is hard to imangine feeling this way about a car.

I want to thank everyone on this board for all the advice they have given me even though I didn't even own a D-90. I am looking forward to many years posting and reading this message board.

I 'll forward pis, etc ASAP to add to the BIOS.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

$23K for a '97 with 60K is a good deal. Once you get pictures ready just email them over to me.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:51 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thumbs up CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Good luck with your new rig... I know exactly how that feels and reading your post made me reminisce 6 months ago when I picked ours up. Actually, mine was more of a mixed emotions as the wife didn't know about it. It was going to be a "present" for her and I didn't know how she would react....

Anyway, congratulations again and looking forward to see it. That's also a nice price for a 97!

-Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I just saw 97 AC on Ebay for 1,500. Can't go look for you now but it looked legit.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:02 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Joe, well done and Congradulations
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:11 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Good luck

Joe,

Just wanted to let u know you're not that crazy. I know EXACTLY what you're going through and how you're feeling, cuz I flew from Chicago to LA to buy my D90, after having seen the car on AutoTrader.com and not knowing anything about Defenders at that point.

This was only about 3-4 weeks ago. I absolutely love mine and I know you will love yours too. Good luck with everything.

I bought mine from a guy up in San Luis Obispo, CA. He drove down to LAX to meet me there (we had agreed beforehand on price, not withstanding any surprises). I test drove it, gave him the check, and drove it to my friend's house in Santa Ana that night. It was awesome driving in So Cal, having the door tops off and soft top windows out. I flew back a week later and drove it all the home to Chicago, from Santa Ana! Now that's crazy. It was fun though.

In case you're interested, I bought mine for $27800. 97 D90 ST, 46500 miles, AC, wraparound front bar, side steps, hella lights, surrey top, great condition except for a ding on the driver side door. I would recommend looking it over in the daylight though when you're buying it. I bought mine at night and didn't notice some minor things until the next morning, but no biggies.

I think that's a really good price on your D90, even w/o the AC.
I would definitely recommend running a CarFax on it if you haven't already.

Here's a pic at the time of sale:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top off.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	156  
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:26 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Wow and I thought I was going a bit far when I flew to Salt Lake City from L.A. to buy my car.

9am arrival in SLC and I was on the road back home by 12pm.

Congrats, and I'll see you at the SCLR annual meeting in January... right?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:17 PM
exmodlad

heheehehehe.......i went to Doncaster in the UK from Langley BC, Canada to buy my Land Rover......now thats a long flight....... :o))))))

but really worth it.....

Gord
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:37 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Hey Joe, that is dirt cheap for a 97, nice grab, if you want to know the history on the truck, drop me a email and I can get the info off land rover online.
mpodgorski@landroverfortlaud.com
I am surprised that the 97 doesnt have A/C, I thought that they came standard then.
Paul Huynh:
I noticed the pic you posted, that the front fender flare is glossy, and the rear is flat black, did you have the truck , is that part of the ding?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:56 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Martin:
Good eye, mate! yeah, that glossy fender flare was one of the "minor things" i didn't notice until after i bought the car. obviously, it's not stock. even though there's nothing in the carfax report of any accidents or claims, i think they replaced the whole front left fender, which includes the glossy fender flare. they don't make the matte flares anymore. I say they replaced the whole fender, because, if u have a really good eye, you'll notice that the side light is in the wrong position too for a *1997* D90. the light is actually in the spot that is for a 1994 D90. so, i think they used a 94 fender for replacement). oh well, just one of those things i gotta live with. but no, the ding was on the driver door itself. If you don't mind, I sent u an private email to see if you can run a history for my car. I'd like to really know what's up with that front left fender and flare.

Gord: you got me beat there! but how'd u get your Defender back to Canada from the UK?! ship, literally?

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:11 PM
exmodlad

yup "franky" spent 3 weeks at sea and 1 week on the rails and 1 week in Customs ...to get to me in BC

Gord
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Upon getting my first D-90, I proceded to driver from Albequerque, NM to back to North Carolina. During the trip I drove from Amarillo, TX to Winston-Salem, NC in 24 hrs..... straight through!! Had to stop for gas at least twice in each state!! Right now I'm on D-90 number 3.

Will H.

'97 D-90 #1008
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:31 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
run while you can
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by exmodlad
heheehehehe.......i went to Doncaster in the UK from Langley BC, Canada to buy my Land Rover......now thats a long flight....... :o))))))

but really worth it.....

Gord
Luxury...(with apologies to Monty Python)....I flew from Zimbabwe to London then got a lift to Norfolk to pick up my 90 and then shipped it to Halifax from Southampton then by rail to Edmonton then by truck to Calgary.
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Geez...I bought mine off of AutoTrader.com, sight unseen, had it shipped from Washington state to Florida and waited almost 4 weeks for it to arrive (after I had sent the money weeks earlier). And I now feel like a lightwight.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM
exmodlad

ahhhhhhh..the things we do for our Land Rovers......

:o))))))))))

Gord
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine was delivered on a truck from Mass. it was bought without my knowing, a suprise of sorts..
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:51 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithD
Luxury...(with apologies to Monty Python)....I flew from Zimbabwe to London then got a lift to Norfolk to pick up my 90 and then shipped it to Halifax from Southampton then by rail to Edmonton then by truck to Calgary.
I thought Canadians were supposed to be the more reasonable ones!

No wonder we're all so attached to our Defenders.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:57 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Wow. Another autotrader buyer here. Flew from LA to Boulder, CO, drove back through the night in the BLIZZARDING ROCKIES, and even found an opporunity to break out the winch kit and haul out a car of college kids lodged down a hill in a snow bank, near Veil.

Made it back to LA by 5 the next day.
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Philadelphia PA to nashville TN and back again Dom and I.

Empty trailer down, D90 on the trailer behind the disco on the way back.

30 HOURS strait. Thank god for good friends who will do crazy things on no notice.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat