Finally - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 5th, 2003, 08:34 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Funny thing with Ron's was, I was coming from the other way and was going to stop in an look at it while in the area.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2003, 11:56 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Wow. All I did was have my friend at a Chevy dealership 10 miles from my house bring it by for me to look at.
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:44 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Well since we are in the "one up ya" mode

Searched LRX, ebay, Autotrader, and 6 dealers in Utah and Colorado . Found one I liked on Autotrader, called the guy, he was 1200 FEET from my office. I walked over, checked it out, and bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Ours was being sold by a guy who just moved back from Colorado and was seeing if the local dealerships wanted to buy it. My buddy at our dealership told him we were looking for one, he drove it to our door for us to look at and we bought it. It didn't get much easier than that.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:04 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

I bought my first D-90 from an auto wholesaler....it had an incredible 73 thousand miles on it...at the time an unbelievable amount. It was a '94 with a hardtop and tickford. It ended up having a lot of problems (the tranny had never been done)....so in a fit of "i've had enough!" I traded it in on a brand new Toyota Tacoma. This after having driven a 300 thousand mile series III for years and years.

I got the Toyota stuck the first day. Six weeks later (and six thousand dollars poorer) I traded it for the '94 D-90 I have today. A Toyota is like a refrigerator, plug it in and forget it. I learned the hard way that a Defender that pokes at you once in while for attention beats a refrigerator any day.

So, since all of that, I have wondered where my first D-90 went. The day after I bought the Toyota I tried to get it back...but they wouldn't undo the deal.

Now I have found it! On the trail ride in Paragon that Chris just posted...there it is! Now bearing a Nevada license plate! Who ever you are contact me!! There are a couple of things you might want to know about that truck. I know it is my old rover because of your unique tickford...stickers and some bolt holes over your license plate light.....gotta talk.
Old December 6th, 2003, 06:23 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Scot, I'm the one (#723). I've been looking for you! 116k and going strong. It's got a 380 in it now.

My PO in NC bought it from Natick, MA. He only drove it a few thousand miles and said it ran well for him.

Lots of holes and extra wires that I've been trying to figure out. Email me or PM and we can talk.

So glad to find you.

Ken

Oh, BTW, you owe me for two cans of waxoyl to clean up after all your MA roadsalt. haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0139.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	167  
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Home at last. I was pleasently surprised when I got there. Comes to find out it only had 40K miles. 41K now after the drive back to So Cal. Took it to the Portland LR dealer to check it out. main seal has a slight leak. Front dif is leaking and needs some work. The front drivers fender has a ding. mechanic said it was the best one he has seen. Other than that it is pretty much perfect. I spent well over $125 on gas just to get it back. Thanks again for everyones help on making this decision.
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:35 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

I bought my truck from myself. ....and I left the keys in it. HA!!!

Ok, maybe not. But two of the Rovers I've got (one from Autotrader) both came from an area known as West Seattle only 3 miles from each other.

And then there's that one that I had driven out to Seattle from PA.

pwc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2003, 01:51 AM
scot
Scot Yount

Ken,
I know your truck has a 380 in it. I PAID FOR IT!! I'll send you an email on what that truck has been through but I wonder if you found any white hairs in it. I see your dog in most of the pictures...that truck was the rolling attack platform for my two 140 lb Alaska Malamutes (brothers who were born in Alaska where I am from, and who lived to be 12 and 14.) I drove them deep into the woods for a run twice a day....for years.

The four holes above your license plate lamp were for my Hella work Lamp. That's why your belt rail is cut short above it...the Hella was already there when I changed to the belt rail system. Your top was custom done at Badger Coachworks on Cape Cod. I came up with the idea (the Tickford is so much better than the Bestop) and he executed it.

The reason I put the spare on the hood is because I had been driving a series truck for 300 thousand miles and it just seemed right. The guy who makes the USA Southdown stuff made the CB antenna mount. I am so glad to see that truck went to someone else who uses it like I did...I had that thing airborne about once a week.

Part of the trouble I had with it was the rust underneath which had taken hold when I got it. A New Jersey doctor had bought it for his kid who drove it back and forth to Boston University...hence the big miles. I later found out...he had (get ready for this....) rolled it while off road....tumbled down a creek bank and landed upside down in the creek. It got left there...halfway submerged.....for a week.

Lots of hocus pocus happened to it at the dealer (my friend worked there...) to make the insurance company pay most of the bill. I knew none of this when I bought it. The kids dad then bought him a Hummer...not my idea of a nimble off road truck..as I have pulled four of them a.) out of a ditch, b.) off a hump where it was high centered, and c.) 2 of them off a Cape Cod beach...(one with a series truck no less.)

I once went to a Rover show and they said the parking would be 10 bucks...but if I put my truck on display I could park for free. So they give you a card to fill out and put on the truck to boast its features. Under Best Feature I put...."Only Rolled Once."

Your truck has nine lives.....

scot
Old December 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	169  
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:02 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Chris,
You should put Phillip's photo in the MISC PICTURES folder

Phillip Is that your D-90?......ouch!!!!!

Mike
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no way just something i found via the www. I think i stole it from Dave Marchand but i dont recall
Old December 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Paul - talk to me about your trip and the door tops. I have a 1994 D-90 and the door tops are fixed. Never really thought about it but some one once mentioned you can take the door top fixed glass off (that I can confirm) and there are clip on soft windows.
Is this true? Any one go photos?
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:05 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Wow Ken, that's some interesting news on your rig. It's definitely lead 9 lives. At least you can claimed it's been rolled.

Funny too about the spare mount. Ken's hood was the recent inspiration for me to add a hood mount.

Scot, saw you on TV this morning. You looked exhausted man. Get some rest! We got 24" and still counting here in Watertown. Storms like this must be hell for reporters and plow drivers. We caught you on the news last night by the water...you must have really been enjoying that!
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:42 PM
scot
Scot Yount

Yeah David...the wind was blowing more than 60 miles an hour. The only cool thing is..I bring my truck and use the lights on it to help light up the shot.

I have two Hella 4000s, two Hella 3000s, and two 1000s in addition to the upgraded headlights. I spent most of the day after I got off the news set at noon winching people out....It's funny to see a Mustang GT lodged so far into a snowbank that you can't find the roof.

Luv that Warn Winch...

I was thinking of using it to hang the Ford Escape I pulled out from a big tree branch
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:53 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Scot, That is some interesting history. And I'm glad that the pic Phillip's pic isn't one of my truck (is it??).

There's no evidence of damage to the top, just a few dents that I attributed to normal wear and tear. "Hocus pocus"?? I gotta hear about that... Looking forward to your email on "the rest of the story".
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Holy crap! This is COOL!
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have no idea who that is in the creek. just thought i would add it. Man that is horrbile to think about....
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:04 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Well, think of it this way... when upside-down, it makes for easy install of a new exhaust.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:10 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Scot, did you get my email?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat