That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
A Series Rover is on the front of the Orvis catalog I got a few weeks ago. You can draw your own conclusions
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
I've become a bit disenchanted with Filson recently - as someone from the PNW I always lusted after their products, but now so much of what they sell is made in China that I no longer have the desire for it... not to mention they price the clothes made in China as if they were made in the US. Very disappointed in the direction they are headed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
A jeep? Wtf. I spit on you.

That is all.
Since their stuff is all Chinese, how about one of these 4x4s:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4136131500_b897ddcec0_o.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	84758  

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D110 View Post
I've become a bit disenchanted with Filson recently - as someone from the PNW I always lusted after their products, but now so much of what they sell is made in China that I no longer have the desire for it... not to mention they price the clothes made in China as if they were made in the US. Very disappointed in the direction they are headed.
Do you remember when Abercrombie and Fitch was a high end clothing store that was only located in about 3 cities? Somewhere in the 90's they decided to turn into the douchebag retailer they are now. The desire to raise profits has ruined many good businesses.
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
All true statements.
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:11 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
It is the free market afterall. But it is kinda BS when a company starts to make crap overseas and charge the same or more for it. I like how their catalog advertises what is made in USA and what is made at Filson.

Companies can now "offer" US made and charge a crap ton for it. Does it really cost that much more to make in a factory here?

Wasn't Maker's Mark going to waterdown the product, yet keep the price the same so they could meet production?

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Wasn't Maker's Mark going to waterdown the product, yet keep the price the same so they could meet production?
Yes. Wisely, they listened to their (outraged) customers and axed that plan
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Does it really cost that much more to make in a factory here?
There are some large clothing and shoe companies that still make their products in the US, but many have found the transition from a labor-based workforce just isn't competitive when compared to the Nikes of the world that use the cheapest labor available on Earth for all of facets of their production processes. Companies like New Balance and others use a mix of complex machinery and highly-skilled laborers (albeit far fewer laborers than in the past) in the US to maintain the machinery and production line, but even some of those companies still have a percentage of either their materials or final product ultimately assembled in another country.
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
It is the free market afterall. But it is kinda BS when a company starts to make crap overseas and charge the same or more for it. I like how their catalog advertises what is made in USA and what is made at Filson. Companies can now "offer" US made and charge a crap ton for it. Does it really cost that much more to make in a factory here? Wasn't Maker's Mark going to waterdown the product, yet keep the price the same so they could meet production?
Yes it does cost more to produce domestically. Liberals always want to decry the loss of jobs to Mexico and SE Asia and how eating imported food will give you herpes, yet there they are leading the way on wage regulations, unions, affordable health care, environmental restrictions, free trade agreements, and all that other stuff that drives out companies. You cant tell SMac's family to stop using pesticides to increase crop yield, then get pissed when bread goes to $4 a loaf and folks lose jobs hauling that now low yield grain from our fields.

Yes, there is some give and take on both sides.

I know companies, like Kuiu, a specialty hunting clothes company, who sews most of their garments in Vancouver, BC so that they can still say it is "made in North America."

Ill get off my public school educated soap box.
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Yes it does cost more to produce domestically. Liberals always want to decry the loss of jobs to Mexico and SE Asia and how eating imported food will give you herpes, yet there they are leading the way on wage regulations, unions, affordable health care, environmental restrictions, free trade agreements, and all that other stuff that drives out companies. You cant tell SMac's family to stop using pesticides to increase crop yield, then get pissed when bread goes to $4 a loaf and folks lose jobs hauling that now low yield grain from our fields.

Yes, there is some give and take on both sides.

I know companies, like Kuiu, a specialty hunting clothes company, who sews most of their garments in Vancouver, BC so that they can still say it is "made in North America."

Ill get off my public school educated soap box.
Made in Canada ... still an off-shore product and import for the US economy ... just a premium priced one.

Wait? What? people pay premiums for made in North America?

So the model works in Canada but not here despite all their liberal policies ... I intrigued to understand why that is.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Do you remember when Abercrombie and Fitch was a high end clothing store that was only located in about 3 cities? Somewhere in the 90's they decided to turn into the douchebag retailer they are now. The desire to raise profits has ruined many good businesses.
Abercrombie and Fitch were expedition outfitters and went belly up. The re-incarnation is puke compared to the original.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:23 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Made in Canada ... still an off-shore product and import for the US economy ... just a premium priced one. Wait? What? people pay premiums for made in North America? So the model works in Canada but not here despite all their liberal policies ... I intrigued to understand why that is.
Because there was an already established sewing operation there which reduced costs and there are no tariffs for importing into the US with little to no extra shipping costs. And Kuius market also covers Canada. The owner of Kuiu actually explained this on launch. Yes, but there are exceptions everywhere, I got that.

I still pay extra coin for Kuiu compared to your average Cabelas/BPS gear.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
LL Bean is one of the most egregious examples of these types of companies. Their products are still decent, not nearly as good. The vast majority of their line is made overseas now. They still charge the same premium. I understand that some things are not going to manufactured cost effectively in the US. That's fine, but when the cost to produce a $60 shirt goes from $25 to $.50 I expect to see a lesser price.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
In essence the Canadians hadn't screwed up their manufacturing capability and had a free trade agreement with the US.

I think that buy 'US made' will be an increasing trend that expands beyond the premium goods market.

Companies will have accept lower margins and lower growth in return for customer loyalty and market share.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Had never heard of Filson before it was mentioned in this forum.
I for one see it as ludicrously overpriced.
$195 for a shirt???? That's nuts.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:41 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
In essence the Canadians hadn't screwed up their manufacturing capability and had a free trade agreement with the US. I think that buy 'US made' will be an increasing trend that expands beyond the premium goods market. Companies will have accept lower margins and lower growth in return for customer loyalty and market share.
Agree.

As some of these foreign economies mature, we are already seeing a small return to NA manufacturing. The added complexities and shipping costs are diminishing the value of overseas manufacturing. Unless our economy tanks or the world finally divests itself of the almighty dollar (which is happening) this trend will probably continue.

Im not a buy american thumper, but i am driving the "lets get americans employed and off my teet" bus.

That said, Filson is a premo brand and should be shunned for taking this road to potential profits. I understand if LLBean does it, but Filson?
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

One of the things I do appreciate about LL Bean is that if any thing goes wrong with the product...ever, they replace it. I would buy more from Filson but in Texas I would never wear it, most of their line is for you northern chaps...

REI is another that I shop regularly, if something goes bad they replace it. Recently I took back a jacket I purchased 6 years ago for a broken zipper, the jacket was discontinued long ago and they refunded the original purchase price! That earns loyalty.
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
a couple years ago before christmas, my mother declared that no one could give anyone in the family a gift made in China. Quite challenging when you start looking @ labels on clothing or boxed goods, especially when shopping for children.

Hell even most iphone components and accoutrements are made in china.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I think their stuff is overpriced, but I do like that they have a category for "Made in the USA". But there is no friggen way this guy is paying $150 for a shirt. Hell, I have Brooks Brothers shirts that were made here and they were only $40.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat