Old November 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
a couple years ago my mother declared that no one could give anyone in the family a gift made in China. Quite challenging when you start looking @ labels on clothing or boxed goods, especially when shopping for children. Hell even most iphone components and accoutrements are made in china.
I'm not for rejecting products made in a particular country but I am for promoting products made in the country I live and earn my living.

How about posting a wish list of gifts for whatever holiday or birthday you celebrate ... With the caveat that they are made in America ( or Canada ) reflecting the NAS vehicle distribution.?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
Hell, I have Brooks Brothers shirts that were made here and they were only $40.
Please share were you get BB shirts for $40
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Is a hatred for foreign made products on a Land Rover enthusiast site with the majority of its members in the US considered ironic or tragic?

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 09:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Is a hatred for foreign made products on a Land Rover enthusiast site with the majority of its members in the US considered ironic or tragic?
I know right...because I was reading another thread and I thought how ironic. Everyone here is an import enthusiast! The only way it could be worse is if we all lived in Detroit! It's so bad, that all of us would break a dozen laws if we could get away with it to have a euro spec D90/110. Of course we shouldn't have to...ah...the human condition.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
As i'm sure you are well aware it's irony ... hence it will never be detected by most people here.

Oh and my comment is sarcastic for those who are wondering.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 21st, 2013, 10:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I could care less where a product is made, I just want a good quality product. I can't think of many products that I would go out of my way to buy American. Music equipment is the only one that comes to mind. I mostly buy Snap On tools, but I imagine there is a European equivalent.
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I could care less where a product is made, I just want a good quality product. I can't think of many products that I would go out of my way to buy American. Music equipment is the only one that comes to mind. I mostly buy Snap On tools, but I imagine there is a European equivalent.
X2...I will go out of my way to source USA parts (bits and bobs) but primarily go with stuff that's just made better, where ever it is made.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
I think their stuff is overpriced, but I do like that they have a category for "Made in the USA". But there is no friggen way this guy is paying $150 for a shirt. Hell, I have Brooks Brothers shirts that were made here and they were only $40.
I have probably 70 plus garments from Filson. I can tell you they are worth every penny. For the past ten years I have worn two of those 150 dollar shirts on my hunting expeditions sometimes 5-10 days straight for no less than 40 days a year and they have held up. They have faded probably from being washed in streams and being dried over wood burning stoves.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

We could drop our production costs for the seat covers by well over 50% if we had them made off shore (and this has been suggested by several other companies providing similar products. We're keeping our margins thin and are going to continue employing labor right here in Virginia, though. It's only right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I have probably 70 plus garments from Filson. I can tell you they are worth every penny. For the past ten years I have worn two of those 150 dollar shirts on my hunting expeditions sometimes 5-10 days straight for no less than 40 days a year and they have held up. They have faded probably from being washed in streams and being dried over wood burning stoves.
How romantic
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
We could drop our production costs for the seat covers by well over 50% if we had them made off shore (and this has been suggested by several other companies providing similar products. We're keeping our margins thin and are going to continue employing labor right here in Virginia, though. It's only right.
Anything in the pipeline for the LR3?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
For the past ten years I have worn two of those 150 dollar shirts on my hunting expeditions sometimes 5-10 days straight for no less than 40 days a year and they have held up. They have faded probably from being washed in streams and being dried over wood burning stoves.
What Tom means is that for the past 10 years he's only owned/worn two shirts. It certainly keeps the flies away!
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What Tom means is that for the past 10 years he's only owned/worn two shirts. It certainly keeps the flies away!
Haha, but they are apparently two very awesome shirts that have the air of man about them.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:

I know it is tough for you guys in this day and age. Props to having the integrity.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

I don't think so.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
Please share were you get BB shirts for $40
The Navy Exchange Uniform Center. I bought BB Dress Blues, so jacket, pants, shirt, and tie. Hell the BB silk tie was around $30-40 if I remember correctly.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
You also don't have shareholders interested in their "investment" in your company I assume. Second assumption is that Kexby isn't your only source of income. If those were different I'm sure the motivation to move to a better margin or at least drop the overall price so you can open your market up to cheapfucks to increase sales numbers would exist.

This is not a knock on your product or you at all, just posting about why others might entertain foreign production versus domestic.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
You also don't have shareholders interested in their "investment" in your company I assume. Second assumption is that Kexby isn't your only source of income. If those were different I'm sure the motivation to move to a better margin or at least drop the overall price so you can open your market up to cheapfucks to increase sales numbers would exist.

This is not a knock on your product or you at all, just posting about why others might entertain foreign production versus domestic.
You're right on all counts, the investors are myself and my family, and I'm lucky enough to have a "real" job as well. For the most part this is a fun exercise in standing up a small business and being able do more in my hobby. And while we'd certainly love it if we had a lot more business, we never intended to retire off of this which allows us to make hard decisions that, in turn, allow us to sleep well at night.

But you hit the nail on the head; if any of those things weren't the case then we would likely have to manufacture overseas, work with distributors more than we currently do, actually market the products, etc.

And to answer the previous question: no plans for LR3 products yet. Frankly I need to sell more standing products to warrant the investment in building a template for a new product.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
You're right on all counts, the investors are myself and my family, and I'm lucky enough to have a "real" job as well. For the most part this is a fun exercise in standing up a small business and being able do more in my hobby. And while we'd certainly love it if we had a lot more business, we never intended to retire off of this which allows us to make hard decisions that, in turn, allow us to sleep well at night.

But you hit the nail on the head; if any of those things weren't the case then we would likely have to manufacture overseas, work with distributors more than we currently do, actually market the products, etc.

And to answer the previous question: no plans for LR3 products yet. Frankly I need to sell more standing products to warrant the investment in building a template for a new product.
Word up to that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat