Fibreglass top weight? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Fibreglass top weight?

I just picked up my first Defender in October 2008, a 1994 AA Yellow D90 with the Factory Fibreglass hardtop. I did not get the soft top with it (owner claimed he removed it and stored it somewhere where the mice got into it.)

In any case, I am going to get a Badger, but need a solution to store this thing while the Badger is on it. (I live in Canada, and I was planning on using the Badger in the summer, and the Hardtop in the winter..)

I only have a single car garage, so storage is at a premium - My first thought was to install a ceiling-mounted hoist and store it up close to the ceiling... something like the Garage Gorilla motorized hoist..good for up to 220 lbs...

So anyways, they make a few different kinds of these things, some motorized (expensive), some not..

What I'm after is if anyone knows how much they weigh? (I haven't taken mine off yet)

Thanks!

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Not much. Maybe 150lbs for the whole thing. To take it off you have to take it apart so the only bit you need to lift is the top panel and that is maybe 60lbs.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not bad at all. I take mine off by myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

you have to take it apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Not much. Maybe 150lbs for the whole thing. To take it off you have to take it apart so the only bit you need to lift is the top panel and that is maybe 60lbs.
Do you actually have to take it completely apart?

I was hoping to unbolt it where it connects to the truck and lift the whole thing up in one piece!

I'm not normally one to complain or whatnot, but it seems a bit primitive compared to the Jeep top...?
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You do have to take it apart because the roll bar goes through the top.

Primative compared to the Jeep top? The Jeep top is heavy and takes two people to remove. I love the D90 top as I can install and remove it myself, and it disassembles for storage - I keep mine in my basement and even can carry it down there myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes Don, you have to take it apart. Also, it will survive only a few on/off sessions before the cracks get bad.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWhitby
Do you actually have to take it completely apart?

I was hoping to unbolt it where it connects to the truck and lift the whole thing up in one piece!

I'm not normally one to complain or whatnot, but it seems a bit primitive compared to the Jeep top...?
Comes in 4 sections. The top the 2 sides and the rear swing up/down window. I have never taken mine off once I put it on about 2 years ago.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually the sides are two pieces each, and ideally you want to have the seal that goes between the rear corner piece and the side.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I can do it myself and I'm a chick. I store mine in the rafters of the garage- large top piece upside down, sides and rear window in that. If you take the sides and rear corners off the entire thing stores fairly flat. I only struggle with getting it up there because I'm short. Easier to deal with by myself vs. my Jeep hardtop but a time consuming process to get it on and off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
glass, ht