Feeling a bit out of place - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Feeling a bit out of place

I was in an Enviro-sandwinch this weekend....

Or maybe I was the chemically injected, rare, bleeding 10lb beef burger between two thin slices of organic whole wheat/rye/oat bread?

However you see it, I was burning gas and couldn't be happier with my choice of vehicle to drive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00045.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	15911  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thats a good pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Nice. I see those smart cars and just wonder what would happen if I ran into one with my Defende? We really dont need air bags.
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
I was in an Enviro-sandwinch this weekend....

Or maybe I was the chemically injected, rare, bleeding 10lb beef burger between two thin slices of organic whole wheat/rye/oat bread?

However you see it, I was burning gas and couldn't be happier with my choice of vehicle to drive

2 years from now the "greenies" will have moved on to something else and left their new Smart cars and hybrids behind.
You'll still be driving the same 90, so think carbon footprint over the long term and then use the Prius as an RTI ramp!

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Quote:
I see those smart cars and just wonder what would happen if I ran into one with my Defende? We really dont need air bags.
How can a smart car pass safety standards and a new Defender not? Do you mean to tell me that I'd be safer in a smart car with air bags vs. a Defender w/o airbags, if I got into an accident? I don't think so...
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I love my 110 but I don't think you can really make the arguement that it is safer than a vehicle with airbags. Call me the cynic but I wish I had a side curtain airbag because the thought of getting T-boned with nothing more than an inch and a half of aluminum between me and the Escalade is not comforting.

The Defender is a classic death trap. Full of hard surfaces that offer little or no give during the secondary collision that occurs inside the vehicle. Don't kid yourself, the seats are insufficient for proper protection from whiplash, the doors are hard, there is very little padding on the dash. There are minimal crumple zones built into the chassis and body and if you are in anything gray market then don't even think about a rollover. The aluminum roof and doors in non roll bar models is insufficient to protect the occupants from serious injury.

In low speed collisions, the aftermarket bumpers and sliders will offer protection to the vehicle occupants but if you are doing over 35mph or the combined speed of the collision is over 35mph, you are going to sustain injuries that would be greater than those of a smart car, prius or any other modern vehicle.

I deal with these facts by driving defensively, very defensively.

If there was an aftermarket 8 or 9 airbag setup for my NAS 110, I would buy it even if it cost over $5K, it would be worth it.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Actually from the crash videos I've watched on them, they are extremely tough.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Sturdiness has nothing to do with survivability, in fact it would only serve to translate greater forces to the occupants. That is the point of crumple zones, to make the collision more elastic through energy absorption.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Sturdiness has nothing to do with survivability, in fact it would only serve to translate greater forces to the occupants. That is the point of crumple zones, to make the collision more elastic through energy absorption.
Think Chris meant the Smart.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Actually from the crash videos I've watched on them, they are extremely tough.
Final Gear did a crash test on them and they really are tough as nails. the roofline beams act like a cage around you. Kind of like an egg (but much stronger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
2 years from now the "greenies" will have moved on to something else and left their new Smart cars and hybrids behind.
You'll still be driving the same 90, so think carbon footprint over the long term and then use the Prius as an RTI ramp!
I bought my truck knowing I would have it for the rest of my life. that means i bought it second hand and recycled it. These Prius and Smart cars will come and go and be trash themselves someday. which will cause more garbage than a truck that is stil running on the road.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac