Feedback needed on new product - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

Feedback needed on new product

A good friend of mine is starting new business of offroad products and he asked me to dig up some feedback (and who better than a group of Land Rover owners for true heartfelt criticism)...this is a rear step he has designed and is building. It is designed for any kind of purpose but the idea was dreamed up for a duckhunter. It is all aluminum and has 2 color options powdercoat silver (natural) and Powdercoat black. Nonskid dimples on top and the sides have boot scrapers. It comes with a quick release pin and is adjustable on how far out it comes from the truck (multple holes)... the price here at Land Rover Nashville is $219...but else where may be under $200....We have sold a few. I want to know change ideas??price???Etc???

He is also in the process of designing a line of all aluminum roof racks for the Land Rover line...Maybe even a ST D90 ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00115-20100201-1456.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	25130 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00111-20100201-1455.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	25131
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

I may be dense but how does it attach to the truck?
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

It goes into any stanard class 3 receiver 2"x2"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If we are talking just Rover feedback...

It sticks WAY far out there, looks like just about anything larger than a speed bump at the mall will catch on that. Knock a foot off that extender to bring it closer to the bumper for starters. From the looks of the 3rd pic, its still under the spare a bit so not like its going to be used for much with the door closed so might as well take off all that extra extension and flush it against the rear bumper.

Used as a step its not beneficial at all. Mounted, its the same height as the rear bumper step so there is not much step functionality for people that would need an additional step that would be mounted lower. It would be helpful for people whos trucks have a lower hitch mount but I dont think that crowd is flocking to LR dealerships to begin with.

The boot scraper functionality is nice but the design doesnt flow with the rear of a Rover. Since the step feature is not worth much in this vehicle application, make it smaller so it not such a drastic difference from the flow of the rear design.

Price seems real steep for a boot scraper.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you want criticism, post this on Dickheadweb.org... Those pin head would criticize Mother Tereasa.

I like it, it sticks out enough to stand on it with out interfering with the spare tire. I would not drive around with it, as it is too long, but it would help with loading a roof rack or kayaks and bikes.

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry I didnt see that it was adjustable distance in the hitch

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

It is designed to fit several models...Including the newer Range Rovers..with the hitch that is hidden farther back under the truck....
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmm, length is adjustable is a good thing. To be honest, it may be the same height as the bumper, but I always find the tire gets in the way of using the bumper step unless I open the door up.

My concern is the sides being angled down. Looks like a great way to slide off the steps and crack open your shins. Particularly if you are moving around and going by feel. I'd say make the whole thing the same height, and maybe put a couple lips that go UP on the side, to keep your foot from sliding off.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

All good input thus far....It is hard to tell in the picture but on the angled sides the aluminum has fins that stick up to catch you from sliding/ and scrape boot soles. I just got a phone call and he is debating the price....How about 159.00$
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
All good input thus far....It is hard to tell in the picture but on the angled sides the aluminum has fins that stick up to catch you from sliding/ and scrape boot soles. I just got a phone call and he is debating the price....How about 159.00$
The fins I saw, but honestly I'd get the thing (and your boots) really good and muddy, then test it out to make sure. If you step on it properly, I'm sure it would hold. What I'm worried about is if you are off by a bit, and put your instep on the edges, stuff like that.

But, then again, I'm one of those "assume the worst when testing" kinda guys.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't knoow about anybody else here, but I really don't give a hoot if I get mud in my Rover. I always hose it all out afterward anyway. 200 clams for a bootscrape? Not too likely.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Scott- don't hold back, how do you realy feel about Dweb? LOL!!! Sorry Kelly, died laughing, had to post. I like the step for a street 110 and kids kinda thing; 90 wise, not so much...

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I think it is great if it is lightweight and can be removed quickly. Helping to load a rack or for folks getting into the back of a truck. I find that the rear bumper being only 3 or 4 inches wide is not enough of a step for folks getting in or out of the rear of a truck.

Dendy
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

i see lot sense in it, as the collapsible step is not enough for me, but imo even when it is adjusted to be just as close to the car as possible, it would still stick too far over rear bumper and be illegal here in Europe.
I would love to have something wider than collapsible step because when i want to go around the car without stepping on ground or load something inside (girl with heels driving often in muddy terrain) i cannot do it comfortably (have to step on the trailer attachment).
so just make it smaller, flip up and available in Germany :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac