feedback glock vs springfield xd - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
1000kva
paul girard

feedback glock vs springfield xd

I know that there are some gun guys on here and I am thinking about getting myself a present for Christmas.I am debating between the Glock and the Springfield XD. I keeping seeing raves about one and then someone will say how bad it is and that you have to get the other. I have seen this which is pretty amazing I don't know how many things you can say you threw out of an air plane and it worked fine afterwardsGlock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Anyone have any feedback either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000kva
I know that there are some gun guys on here and I am thinking about getting myself a present for Christmas.I am debating between the Glock and the Springfield XD. I keeping seeing raves about one and then someone will say how bad it is and that you have to get the other. I have seen this which is pretty amazing I don't know how many things you can say you threw out of an air plane and it worked fine afterwardsGlock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Anyone have any feedback either way?
wow the glock 21 will certainly be my weapon of choice for doomsday.
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

XD GLock What is you application?

I have been doing the same study. I want to upgrade my 45 as well. I'd like to be able to add a tactical light. I think rather than modify my 45 that I'll just buy something. The XD has several feed back elements. I like the smallest XD, 40 cal. comes with the tactical holster. I grew up with 1911. Depends on what you use it for. We run a cattle operation and we have some grazing land that has hunter access. If you want a carry weapon I like the Colt 1911 officers. No rail though. Ultra small carry, I like the smith airlight with the built in crimson trace grip. My wife also carries that. What application are you trying to match? Concealed or not? I really like the reliability of revolvers, the power of the 38 +P and the laser sight. I think the laser site has a serious deterrent factor. However, I believe that once I have drawn the weapon, it has only been to fire it. One of my good friends is a Game and Fish enforcement ranger. He really likes the SIG an is not at all happy with the GLock. Another weapon to look at is the HK. A lot more money but a superb weapon. Too much for me to spend though. There are a few good reads on personal defense. Jeff Coopers Personal Defense. I was actually trained to shoot from one of his graduates, however I have not read this or any of his books. Check out EE for these books.

Lang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Glocks are great guns; accept for the issue with the safety and the longer but lighter trigger pull. The times that I have shot with a glock, I was impressed with how light and accurate they are. I'm not crazy about the trigger pull, although, it is possible to have that tweaked.

Have you looked at the S&W Sigma? The Glocks and Sigmas seemed to be very similar.

With that said, after reading that torture test, I was very surprised that the HK didn't hold up well. When I was doing research, I read tons of articles regarding torture tests that it passed. Until that article, I've never found a negative issue with it or from any HK owners. I've shoot my buddies HK USP40 with much admiration. Another great thing, each caliber HK comes in every variant imaginable.

One of my favorite guns is the Sig Sauer P229. I love how it feels in my hand, it's accurate and I'm sure it would have passed that abuse test with flying colors. I have it in both a 9mm and a .40. The cool thing about that gun is that it can change over to a 9mm, .357 or a .40 by just swapping out the barrels and the proper caliber magazine.

I think that you should find a place that has the ones you are zeroing in on for rent and test them out before purchasing. The feel of the gun is important. As great as that torture test is, I really don't see a time where anyone will put their gun through that much rigor. Maybe soaked in a pond, but buried need deep in mud is doubtful.

Besides, once you end up with one...they start multiplying...
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Weapon Application The Lancaster 7.62 "Pistol"

I mean seriously, taking one of those out of the cubby box with a double clip of 30 x 2 7.62... That's just wrong. http://www.lancasterarms.com/AK%20PISTOLS.html

The only thing worse than that would be taking two of those "pistols" out of the cubby box. You'd have to have them tethered so you could flip the mags. And then what - ok 120 rounds. And try to explain that was self defense. Maybe if you only used the first 70-80 rounds. Makes me think of the phrase, you and what army.....

Answer, "The Romanian Army.... well two of them."

This is the DUB site right?
Oops my bad.

Lang
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
This is My Carry Gun

This is My Carry Gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP89.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	11391  
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Glock all the way. Just picked up a 19 to go with my 23. I have owned a couple and they are very accurate and amazingly durable. Not even anything comes close in my opinion. Ask someone who's life depends on a reliable weapon everyday and they will tell you.

97 D90 SW
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
What was done to that HK is a damn shame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
This is My Carry Gun.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I am not a big fan of S&W autos - but their revolvers on the other hand are great.
I've read/heard good things about the XD.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Glock.
I've never owned a 21 - but do have a 17, 22, 34 +35 (9mms + 40S&Ws) and they all function great and are accurate.
Fo more Glock info check out http://www.glocktalk.com/
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Depending on what you're looking at the gun for, I have a strong leaning toward the Glock. I've had several and really respect the simple utilitarian nature of the weapon. The 21 I had was a superb pistol. When it comes to double-stack .45s I'd go for a Glock again and again.

Landspeed; have you looked at the Kimber series of 1911's with the rail integrated into them? If you're looking for an upgrade to have tactical light capability but want to stick with the single stack magazine and classic 1911 frame you can't get much better than something like a TLE II (in my opinion)
r-
Ray
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Glock 23 Pizza Robbery

There was a case in Tucson where a Pizza store owner tried to use his Glock to protect himself from an armed robbery. ( I don't know if they ordered any pizza.) He was shot once, then he fired but was not holding the gun firmly enough of "correctly" and it jammed after the first shot. The robbers then shot him 5 FIVE more times. He tried to litigate Glock and lost. Very sad story no matter who was at fault. I also suspect Glock may have improved the design if possible so there may be a different design in the current hardware today. Get a revolver and a better lawyer?

Here is an excerpt from the event.

Link http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu...tt_v_glock.txt

Para. 3 Daniel Bennett purchased his Glock Model 23 pistol
on October 7, 1991. On August 26, 1992, just before Daniel closed
his pizza parlor for the evening, two masked and armed men entered
the restaurant. As Daniel turned to see who had come in, one man
shot Daniel in the chest. Daniel reached for his Glock pistol,
which was holstered and inside a bag located on a desk next to him,
pulled it out, and fired one shot at the intruders before his
pistol jammed. While Daniel attempted to clear the jam, the second
man shot him five more times. Daniel sustained multiple injuries to
his jaw, neck, back, and chest, resulting in severe headaches,
pain, loss of motor coordination and strength. He still has bullets
lodged in his neck, jaw and back.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

In autos I have a Glock 40 and a Colt Gold Cup 45. If your not looking for a hobby
buy the Glock. Or try a Colt Python. Revolvers are neat.
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

My preference between those choices is the glock. It is very proven worldwide.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac