Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Fedex sucks!

Okay guys,
I need some advice. I bought something from a member and he promptly shipped with FedEx. Unfortunately I was overseas and could not track the package as much as I would have liked. But my wife did tell me that I did receive a couple of packages. So I didn't think to check the status of the package. After getting home I realized that I never got the item and contacted FedEx about the package. They said that the shipper would need to put in a claim. I contacted the member and told him about the situation and he acted very fast about everything and submitted the claim. Now fast forward a few weeks. I get a check in the mail from FedEx for the claim. The only problem was because there was no declared value or insurance they give the default amount, which is a hundred dollars per item. Which leaves me about hundred dollars short from where I started. I have contacted the member about what I got from FedEx, but haven't heard back from him. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks for your input

Josh

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I think you should be happy you recovered the $100 and consider it a good lesson for the future.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Go slash some FedEx truck tires until you're even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Go slash some FedEx truck tires until you're even.
Swell advice, so that would be slash 2/3 of a tire to make up the $100 loss. If you want something insured in case of loss, insure it.
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

yeah you're out because of the insurance thing...count your blessings!
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Hmm makes you wonder if the package was returned to the seller.. he took your money, fradulent claim got you $100 and he still has the part... never to be heard from again

Dont mean to stir the pot but it's a possibility I suppose.
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

It seems like paying PayPal as a gift and not properly insuring packages is the norm around here.

The seller should have properly insured it unless the buyer created the label. Did he list the item FOB origin....
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
It seems like paying PayPal as a gift and not properly insuring packages is the norm around here.

The seller should have properly insured it unless the buyer created the label. Did he list the item FOB origin....
I know I'm guilty...but I havent been burned, and dont expect to be...
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not FedEx's fault, it's your shippers fault. I ship religiously through FedEx. Anything over $200 I usually insure, knowing full well their max is $100 per item unless declared. The shipper should cover the loss, not you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I agree, it is the shippers problem. He/she made the decision not to insure the package. I insure packages over $100, or realize that I will be making up the difference if somethings happens. It's like Vegas, sometimes you win...

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
And the two times out of several hundred shipments that FedEx actually lost the package or damaged it they promptly paid the claim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:02 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I think something should be added as a sticky to the forum saying:

WARNING: Do not send payment through Paypal as a gift. Always demand that the payment be for a good or item for sale.

The reason that sellers do the "gift" thing is so that the buyer eats the paypal service fee. That's a bad policy, because when something bad does happen, the ordinary buyer protections that Paypal provides are not in effect.

If the seller wants to be reimbursed for the Paypal service fee, then they should do some simple math and add the cost up front.
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
If the seller wants to be reimbursed for the Paypal service fee, then they should do some simple math and add the cost up front.
I think the same goes for shipping. I know that when I put stuff up for sale it's usually including what I estimate the shipping will be, or I'm fine eating it. Don't expect me to ship it to you in the most expensive manner possible or have every bell and whistle the post office provides in protection though...unless you ask for it, or if there is a degree of sense on my side and I'm shipping something over $150 or so and I feel like extra protection is warranted.

Shipping insurance is such BS anyway. FedEx and other companies have HUGE contracts with 3rd party re-insurance companies, so they should be covering the cost of items if/when they get lost in their system. It's like "oh you're paying us for a service? We f'd up on that. Here's $100 to cover what we lost - oh it's worth more than that? Too bad. Come again." Also, are they refunding the amount of money spent/wasted on actually shipping your product when they lose it? I doubt it.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The seller is responsible for delivery said product for the agreed upon price. If the product does not arrive as advertized it is the seller that should take the hit unless the buyer asked them to send it without insurance to save money.

When I sell something it is on me to assure the product arrives to the buyer and if not I need to take it up with the shipper and if I decided to go cheap on shipping I eat the cost.

If someone is selling an item and says it is x amount shipped and I pay that amount and it does not arrive or is damaged that is on the seller as they should have taken the necessary steps to protect themselves. As the buyer I paid for an item and expect it to arrive it is does not arrive why would I pay for it or even part of it?

Seem straight forward and simple to me
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Seller has no obligation once shipment is delivered to the Common Carrier, in this instance Fedex.

Normal terms and condition of shipment is pennys on the pound. Set into Federal Law from the 1930s I think.....Thats why you have to get insurance.

Lesson learned by every one of us.
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

How can the seller being the free / clear when the buyer cannot buy insurance on the item? Hell even the shipping companies refuse to talk to anyone otherthan the person that shipped the item.

Note to self never insure anything I sell because that makes me a chump since I can just tell the buyer sucks to be you...
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Rocky, I think that is BS... The seller has the responsibility to make sure the buyer gets what they bought, intact, in advertised shape, packed correctly and insured.

This same issue happened on Expo, where a guy bought a Mac, that the buyer never received. Supposedly it was delivered or delivered to the wrong house, but the buyer never received it. The seller did not insure it, and the buyer is out the $. The seller washed his hands of it.

Old September 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Paypal Gift has no fees on either end. Its perfectly acceptable if you know or trust the person.
Unfortunately, not free if you use a credit / debit card. Only free if using a paypal balance or bank account.

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=GGGQPVpCVhMkSyJ2ZzQG26QSLCNfRl syT1ztpXbL8X17pS05zJcY!70320203?t=solutionTab&ft=h omeTab&ps=&solutionId=1209531&locale=en_GB&_dyncha rset=UTF-8&countrycode=GB&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9002
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Rocky, I think that is BS... The seller has the responsibility to make sure the buyer gets what they bought, intact, in advertised shape, packed correctly and insured.

This same issue happened on Expo, where a guy bought a Mac, that the buyer never received. Supposedly it was delivered or delivered to the wrong house, but the buyer never received it. The seller did not insure it, and the buyer is out the $. The seller washed his hands of it.
The seller has no obligation to insure an item unless insurance was part of the negotiated contract of sale.
You often see the letters FOB and CIF on shipping terms. FOB means free on board ie once the unit is leaves the seller premises, seller has NO FURTHER obligation. If shipped CIF then that sale includes cost insurance and freight.
Federal law covers the obligations of common carriers . Which as OP discovered is minimal.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
My 2 cents...

It's always good to talk to the other party involved.

IMO it's the sellers responsabilty to insure the merchandise. That should be part of his price. You as a buyer are paying for something and should get such product or get compensated.

I'm someone who buys and sells stuff A LOT here and luckily I've never had an issue that couldn't get resolved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat