Fedex sucks! - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 9th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

FedEx just charged me $645 to ship a headlight surround from Shenzen, China to Portland via International economy. The package is not much bigger than the surround itself and weights in at 2kg. Took a week to get here. I've been on the phone with them since Friday trying to figure out what the heck happened. I think a decimal may have dropped off the dimensions. The package dimension is supposed to be 45cm x 45 cm x 6.5cm but the sender wrote 65cm. FedEx claims that whatever the sender puts in the original form is what the cost is being calculated from regardless if it is inaccurate. Is this true?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4099737879.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	113318  
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
FedEx just charged me $645 to ship a headlight surround from Shenzen, China to Portland via International economy. The package is not much bigger than the surround itself and weights in at 2kg. Took a week to get here. I've been on the phone with them since Friday trying to figure out what the heck happened. I think a decimal may have dropped off the dimensions. The package dimension is supposed to be 45cm x 45 cm x 6.5cm but the sender wrote 65cm. FedEx claims that whatever the sender puts in the original form is what the cost is being calculated from regardless if it is inaccurate. Is this true?

Fight it. You will win. We had a FedEx Freight that was 200 lbs and the shipper accidently wrote 2000.. Took a while but they cleaned it up. They are real quick to upcharge you when you try to cheat them.
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

They calculate by box size, distance and weight. Take the box to an actual fedex office not kinkos and start there.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Actually I would schedule for you to pick it up at their facility. When you get there ask for a supervisor before you even touch the box. Let them sort it out right there with their scale and measuring tape.
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Thomas.

Any suggestions for how to fight it? I've filed a claim with Fedex and separate claim with Paypal who the charge went through. The Paypal reimbursement is currently in progress. The Fedex charge processed Friday and I was on the phone 20 min later. Fedex had charged me but nothing was available under my billing summary so they could not tell me what it was. Bizarre. They promised a call back the following morning but of course no one called. I've talked to two people at Fedex today (3 days later) and no one appears to have a clue or think that the charge is out of ordinary. There was no cheating involved. From what I can tell it just appears that a punctuation mark on the dimensions was the issue (6.5cm vs 65cm).

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2015 02:35 PM ------

Understood. You're saying I should take it back in? It was delivered in my absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
They calculate by box size, distance and weight. Take the box to an actual fedex office not kinkos and start there.....
------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2015 02:38 PM ------

For each future shipment you mean? The shipment I have an issue was already delivered in my absence. From now on I'm requiring every vendor to tell me the shipping cost prior to shipping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Actually I would schedule for you to pick it up at their facility. When you get there ask for a supervisor before you even touch the box. Let them sort it out right there with their scale and measuring tape.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I will call my fedex rep and get back to you
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:59 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I've had plenty of issues with domestic and international shipments (fedex, ups, usps, etc). This is their specialty/industry and thus should know how to fix damn near anything with a shipment. Be clear with your end goal and the issue that needs to be resolved. climb the chain of command till you reach your goal. Always be nice and take notes and log names of people you speak with. Ask for direct phone numbers not a general Service Center 800 number. Best of luck!
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well, after 5 days of talking to different people I found someone who was able to reverse the charge to a mere $180. Just crazy how many customer services representatives were lying straight to my face.
-
-
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm glad you got it straightened out. FedEx is a great company but like everything else they are only as strong as their weakest link.
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

And boy do they have some weak links.

Contrasting that to dealing with Paypal who has been treating me like royalty because I've been with them for 15 years now.

Is there a way to get alerts or authorization request from Fedex prior to a shipment going out? Say anything over $100? That would be a nice feature.
-
-
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

More USPS follies. I mailed something March 4th to Iowa and now 3 days later it is in some suburb of Los Angeles. No wonder they have hemorrhaged $47,000,000,000 in the last decade.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...illion-capital
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
And boy do they have some weak links.

Contrasting that to dealing with Paypal who has been treating me like royalty because I've been with them for 15 years now.

Is there a way to get alerts or authorization request from Fedex prior to a shipment going out? Say anything over $100? That would be a nice feature.
if you have a FedEx account you can set it up notify you when a package is tendered...
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:39 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Here we go again with USPS...

Name:	image-417949968.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	116459
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:57 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'm in the same boat for the second time in the last 3 months. The last one was a rotoflex that took 42 days to travel 491 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	usps sucks.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	116460  

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:01 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
I'm tired of shippers shit. No idea who to use anymore. I get that garbage mail daily in my box on time but not the important things.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I'm in the same boat for the second time in the last 3 months. The last one was a rotoflex that took 42 days to travel 491 miles.
Did they walk it to you?
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:37 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

crawled I believe

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:55 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I recently had a great experience with fedex. I bought an erg at the 2015 Crash-B's in Boston. A friend of mine picked it up for me and I had Fedex then pick it up from him and had it delivered to my place in Virginia. The box was around 50 x 24 x 12 and weighed 70 lbs. it ended up costing $68, and two days to my door. Really happy with Fedex now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3182724373.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	116500  
Old March 21st, 2015, 05:28 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Got lucky this one magically appeared yestereday...

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

For you frequent shippers FedEx has a new (to me) service called "FedEx - SmartPost" it utilizes USPS for some aspects of delivery so where FedEx couldn't ship before it now can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat