Are you a politician?
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Rocky

The subject of this thread is a deal between two list members, not a purchase from a vendor. That said, when it comes to "RN/ABP/Paddocks/Craddocks etc." i.e. purchases from vendors with either brick and mortar or virtual storefronts, the obligation to get the parts to you still typical resides with the vendor. At least that has been my experience.

I guess freight shipping is another story and one that I don't know much about.

Props to Eric @ AB, Les @ RN, Will Tillery, and any others I can't think of who have helped me with lost or damaged shipments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
My comments only referred to the commercial nature of shipping stuff. The typical deals that we all do whether with RN/ABP/Paddocks/Craddocks etc.
Not the personal nature of deals via this Forum.
Its the personal nature of business through this forum that gives a moral duty on the seller to do everything possible to ensure proper delivery in the condition described, time frame promised etc.
Failing that test is not desireable.
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Seems that general advice gets frowned on. After all we are all here to help each other.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2014, 10:25 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
FedEx driver on Route 40 in CO leaves rear door open, loses a ton of packages. Haha

http://youtu.be/Y0EYi_a4vX4
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The seller has no obligation to insure an item unless insurance was part of the negotiated contract of sale.
You often see the letters FOB and CIF on shipping terms. FOB means free on board ie once the unit is leaves the seller premises, seller has NO FURTHER obligation. If shipped CIF then that sale includes cost insurance and freight.
Federal law covers the obligations of common carriers . Which as OP discovered is minimal.
FWIW when and individual posts an item for sale on a forum such as this uses FOB acronym I have always understood that to be/mean Freight on Buyer. Free on board is typically a international/ocean freight term.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Freight...yer-(FOB).html

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
FedEx driver on Route 40 in CO leaves rear door open, loses a ton of packages. Haha

http://youtu.be/Y0EYi_a4vX4
At least the driver appeared to care. Most USPS workers would have called the cops for being harassed, chased and videotaped.
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If I purchase an item from someone here, I feel it is fair to expect to either receive it or get my money back. As a seller, I feel I have to honor the buyer and if the shipping company fucks up, I need to be directly involved in helping take care of it. If it is lost, then I should have it insured. I always insure any item over the minimum--it is relatively cheap. If I didnt, my bad, and unfortunately it is on me, the seller/shipper.

Just from sheer common sense, when a buyer purchases an item, they expect to receive it or get a full refund. The transaction just isn't complete until they get the goods. Things get much more complicated dealing with damage or not properly stated condition, but this one is simple in my eyes.
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
At least the driver appeared to care. Most USPS workers would have called the cops for being harassed, chased and videotaped.
X2...
Old December 24th, 2014, 06:30 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Most USPS workers would have called the cops for being harassed, chased and videotaped.
No disrespect Dave but I have been with the USPS since 1996 (98? heck it's been so long I don't remember!) and I am curious what personal knowledge you have to back up what you post. It is interesting to me when people rant about something they have no knowledge of. This year postal inspectors were assigned to several different USPS stations a piece, very nearly for the reasons you describe. Due to the exponential growth of parcels to be delivered, mail carriers are being targeted by thieves. Carriers are being followed and once they make delivery on your front door step, a thief will come to gather it. Carriers are being instructed to watch for people 'tailing' them, to be watchful of anything or anybody that looks out of the ordinary and to 'hide' your delivery out of site from the road when possible.

We (the USPS) have had carriers pulled into homes while on route and assaulted. We have had carriers robbed at gun point. Shot and killed on the first and third of the month when social security checks are to be delivered. If I found out that a carrier felt threatened while on the job, I would be highly upset if they didn't call me or someone else to report it.

I feel sorry for the FedEx employee in that video. Funny har har. I hope he doesn't lose his job and the ability to support his family for making that stupid and probably once in a life time mistake. If it was not a one time thing then he should be reprimanded. I don't know if FedEx has union representation and if it doesn't he is probably out of luck. Poor guy.

I am also dumbfounded when people who claim to be patriotic and/or served in the military are not supportive of the USPS considering how many veterans we employ. 1/4 - 1/3 of your local post office's employees are ex-military and imo they are still serving their country... Go team USPS. And what about the military care packages!? We as citizens and businesses would be sol without it...not to mention what it would do to other carriers like FedEx and UPS! Jeeze...don't even get me started there...

btw: We just topped a USPS record. There were 400 million parcels delivered from Thanksgiving to today and 28 million of those were from this Monday alone. In all my years I have never seen so many people work that hard and for that many consecutive hours. Amazing!!
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Dang she told you bro.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

USPS has definitely been busy. That deal with Amazon is paying dividends.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
going postal originally coined from a series of real life shootings in the postal service, it now usually means that someone is about to go nuts or off the deep end. the reason for going postal is usually trivial.

after finding her computer's wallpaper had been changed again, Jane went postal on her fellow workers.

-Urban Dictionary
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Or gorilla suit ...
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
No disrespect Dave but I have been with the USPS since 1996 (98? heck it's been so long I don't remember!) and I am curious what personal knowledge you have to back up what you post. It is interesting to me when people rant about something they have no knowledge of. This year postal inspectors were assigned to several different USPS stations a piece, very nearly for the reasons you describe. Due to the exponential growth of parcels to be delivered, mail carriers are being targeted by thieves. Carriers are being followed and once they make delivery on your front door step, a thief will come to gather it. Carriers are being instructed to watch for people 'tailing' them, to be watchful of anything or anybody that looks out of the ordinary and to 'hide' your delivery out of site from the road when possible.
Well lets see.............. Your post for one (quite the rant) and my dealings with other carriers who over the years have failed miserably in their attempts to deliver the correct mail to the correct address. More than one told me they would call the cops for even talking to them about their failings. They said I was harassing them when I asked if they were putting the correct mail in the correct slot in our cluster mailbox and asked that I don't approach the box till after they leave. This was a result of my electricity being turned off due to lack of payment (lack of receiving the bill) mid summer in Phoenix. I have also received MY bills from neighbors weeks late due to them being placed in their mailbox while they were out on extended vacations. I wasn't being a dick, I was as nice to them as I am to anybody else I come in contact with. They were as defensive as you are being in your post above.
Their supervisor straightened things out but it was after a less than rational response from your fellow employees. My current letter carrier is an awesome guy. I give him a bottled water or Gatorade whenever he comes by and I'm working in the garage. Every employee group has good and bad employees. Bad postal workers unfortunately eclipse the hard workers.

Any questions? Comments? Excuses? Fabulous and guess what, I work with nuts too and so does everybody else here. Don't make excuses for people who fail at what they do. I would have commented earlier but your posts aren't visible to me. A friend told me about your response.
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:14 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
USPS has definitely been busy. That deal with Amazon is paying dividends.
No kidding we were busy...understatement of the year! We'll see if it pays off with Amazon. They aren't the only one. There is also Target, Macy's, Walmart and others who are coming. I don't know who got in more over their heads; us or Amazon. In larger cities we were having difficulties and Amazon was having trouble keeping up with their own orders. We were waiting for them to get the orders filled and out the door to us.

It was definitely not boring!
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Also I learned from the supervisor that due to your union it is next to impossible to fire a bad letter carrier which compounds the problem. UPS and FedEx drivers live and die by their delivery performance so it is no wonder the guy stopped and was concerned about loosing his packages.
As long as we are discussing the USPS I ordered a part from the UK that required a signature at delivery a few months ago. My awesome carrier was off work for surgery and his replacement didn't even bother to knock on my door. He sent the part back to the UK and marked it as undeliverable. I was tracking it and his supervisor recovered it for me once I notified her. Yup, He got written up and she said that he will grieve it and win.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:54 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Here is another example of the USPS at its finest. I ordered a radiator core from Trevor and paid for 2 day priority mail. I planned on installing it this morning but that isn't going to happen. Check out its path, a complete circle thru Arkansas and an airplane ride from Texas back to its starting point. They even sent it out for delivery in White Hall, AR. Trevor said that last week a parcel he mailed to Canada turned up in Florida. You can't make this stuff up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	110050  
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Here is another example of the USPS at its finest. I ordered a radiator core from Trevor and paid for 2 day priority mail. I planned on installing it this morning but that isn't going to happen. Check out its path, a complete circle thru Arkansas and an airplane ride from Texas back to its starting point. They even sent it out for delivery in White Hall, AR. Trevor said that last week a parcel he mailed to Canada turned up in Florida. You can't make this stuff up.
I just had trouble with an item that came from Trevor; that post office or the sorting facility in Little Rock has some serious shit issues.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:55 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yeah...but don't worry it's no ones fault. Why so serious son...?

Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
I just had trouble with an item that came from Trevor; that post office or the sorting facility in Little Rock has some serious shit issues.
Did he resend it via a more reliable method? I'm hoping to get my truck roadworthy again and Cliff Clavin's coworkers are standing in my way talking about the mating rituals of the native Floridian crocodile and the arming of Switzerland.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat