Fedex sucks! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb
My 2 cents...

It's always good to talk to the other party involved.

IMO it's the sellers responsabilty to insure the merchandise. That should be part of his price. You as a buyer are paying for something and should get such product or get compensated.

I'm someone who buys and sells stuff A LOT here and luckily I've never had an issue that couldn't get resolved.
You should standardize the terms and conditions for the RURR
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM
grnrvrs's Avatar
grnrvrs
Status: Offline
Paul
88
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: west
Posts: 1,393
I love this thread. While I've never had a beef with FedEx, the espoused perspectives on the shippers responsibility is hugely beneficial for anyone buying/selling from members on the board.
__________________
1970 SIIA 88, Sold
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Crash303's Avatar
Crash303
Status: Offline
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jamul, CA, USA
Posts: 180
Unfortunately I had no control on the shippers decision on how to ship the items. I paid one price for the items which included shipping. And if I would of had a choice on insurance, I would have paid more for it.
__________________
When the F*%# did we get Ice cream!!!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:10 PM
MonLand
Status: Offline
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Herndon, VA - USA
Posts: 1,642
Registry
In the eBay world, if the buyer does not receive the item, the seller needs to reimburse all costs.
__________________
Quote:
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Quote:
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
ipgregory's Avatar
ipgregory
Status: Offline
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 1,083
Registry
I have bought a lot of stuff online and only ever had 1 problem. It was for an item bought on this forum as well.

Seller put a heavy metal item I was buying in a ‘if it fits it ships’ type fixed price box with I presume no packing. I ‘eventually’ received an empty box with a hole at one end and a note from the Post Office saying sorry, no idea where the contents went. The seller supposedly had insurance or some way of claiming so I gave them some time to sort it out. Eventually they stopped responding to my emails and I am still out the cost of the item I bought. I was surprised as the seller was a very high profile member of this board.

To me it was the sellers responsibility to cover this as they packed it and they selected the shipping method and coverage. I paid for something I never received. Its BS to suggest that a buyer with no control over packing or shipping (Price = $x ‘shipped’) should be in any way responsible for any of the costs for rectifying a non-received item.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
I have bought a lot of stuff online and only ever had 1 problem. It was for an item bought on this forum as well.

Seller put a heavy metal item I was buying in a ‘if it fits it ships’ type fixed price box with I presume no packing. I ‘eventually’ received an empty box with a hole at one end and a note from the Post Office saying sorry, no idea where the contents went. The seller supposedly had insurance or some way of claiming so I gave them some time to sort it out. Eventually they stopped responding to my emails and I am still out the cost of the item I bought. I was surprised as the seller was a very high profile member of this board.

To me it was the sellers responsibility to cover this as they packed it and they selected the shipping method and coverage. I paid for something I never received. Its BS to suggest that a buyer with no control over packing or shipping (Price = $x ‘shipped’) should be in any way responsible for any of the costs for rectifying a non-received item.
Thats all bad...the choices are few
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,682
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter

you should standardize the terms and conditions for the rurr
lmao
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
You should standardize the terms and conditions for the RURR
I was going to say...what the Hell does Pedro know about having anything shipped via UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. RURR insurance rider...now that'd be something.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Note to self, never buy anything from this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The seller has no obligation to insure an item unless insurance was part of the negotiated contract of sale.
You often see the letters FOB and CIF on shipping terms. FOB means free on board ie once the unit is leaves the seller premises, seller has NO FURTHER obligation. If shipped CIF then that sale includes cost insurance and freight.
Federal law covers the obligations of common carriers . Which as OP discovered is minimal.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Note to self, never buy anything from this guy
Sorry you don't like what I say but it was learned as an insurance claims geek at a major insurance broker.
It's the truth and a harsh reality.
While visiting ECR a year ago, the suffered the loss of an uninsured shipment. What I recommended to them is to buy inland marine insurance from their insurance agent rather than rely on insuring every individual shipment.
You just know the one they forget to insure would be the one that gets lost.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
you aren't helping your case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Sorry you don't like what I say but it was learned as an insurance claims geek at a major insurance broker.
It's the truth and a harsh reality.
While visiting ECR a year ago, the suffered the loss of an uninsured shipment. What I recommended to them is to buy inland marine insurance from their insurance agent rather than rely on insuring every individual shipment.
You just know the one they forget to insure would be the one that gets lost.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
you aren't helping your case
Explain
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Ok, Rocky, I will explain for you.


This isnt commercial trucking or maritime shipping. This is a community of individuals that share a common bond of interest. In a community like this a sale is not complete until both parties have satisfied their obligation per the original agreement. It is a system that relies somewhat on the honor of individuals. Yet, you seem to think that your responsibility to others in the community ends the second a shipment leaves your premises. That makes you come off as purely self-interested. From those statements it is clear that you do not consider yourself a member of the community, rather just a user of a service, with no obligation to uphold and honor your end of an agreement. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

For what its worth, every shipment that leaves THESE premises is insured for the full value of the item, sometimes more if it is an irreplaceable or difficult to find part. The insurance charges are pretty minimal and they get included in the total provided to the buyer. I don't want someone to get screwed during a transaction with me because as a nearly 20 year member of the NA Land Rover community I am well known and I am only as good as my name.

In all these years of buying and selling bits from and to businesses and individuals I have had only a handful of parcels go missing. In EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE the seller has replaced the item. For all you folks doing "shipped" pricing, don't cheap out on the insurance and then leave the buyer swinging in the breeze when they don't get the item or it arrives damaged. The buyer does not have the opportunity to purchase insurance for a shipment that you arranged. And Rocky, the concept that as private individuals we should buy private, blanket-coverage insurance per your ECR example is unrealistic. I can pretty much guarantee that the number of individuals that own such a policy outside of the operation of a business is exactly zero. It just isn't practical when all the major shippers offer a reasonably priced alternative.

Again, you seem to see yourself as not having any responsibility to others that are involved in a transaction with you. That makes me want to use profanity but I was taught a long time ago that profanity gives people an excuse not to listen to you. And in this case, I really want you to understand what I am saying because I think it is fundamental to what makes the D90 community work so well. So I am not going to use profanity.

I hope that helps, thanks for giving me the opportunity to explain further.

On another note I am surprised that you were able to visit ECR and obtain knowledge of any part of their business dealings. Most people don't get past the receptionist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Explain
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Ok, Rocky, I will explain for you.


This isnt commercial trucking or maritime shipping. This is a community of individuals that share a common bond of interest. In a community like this a sale is not complete until both parties have satisfied their obligation per the original agreement. It is a system that relies somewhat on the honor of individuals. Yet, you seem to think that your responsibility to others in the community ends the second a shipment leaves your premises. That makes you come off as purely self-interested. From those statements it is clear that you do not consider yourself a member of the community, rather just a user of a service, with no obligation to uphold and honor your end of an agreement. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

For what its worth, every shipment that leaves THESE premises is insured for the full value of the item, sometimes more if it is an irreplaceable or difficult to find part. The insurance charges are pretty minimal and they get included in the total provided to the buyer. I don't want someone to get screwed during a transaction with me because as a nearly 20 year member of the NA Land Rover community I am well known and I am only as good as my name.

In all these years of buying and selling bits from and to businesses and individuals I have had only a handful of parcels go missing. In EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE the seller has replaced the item. For all you folks doing "shipped" pricing, don't cheap out on the insurance and then leave the buyer swinging in the breeze when they don't get the item or it arrives damaged. The buyer does not have the opportunity to purchase insurance for a shipment that you arranged. And Rocky, the concept that as private individuals we should buy private, blanket-coverage insurance per your ECR example is unrealistic. I can pretty much guarantee that the number of individuals that own such a policy outside of the operation of a business is exactly zero. It just isn't practical when all the major shippers offer a reasonably priced alternative.

Again, you seem to see yourself as not having any responsibility to others that are involved in a transaction with you. That makes me want to use profanity but I was taught a long time ago that profanity gives people an excuse not to listen to you. And in this case, I really want you to understand what I am saying because I think it is fundamental to what makes the D90 community work so well. So I am not going to use profanity.

I hope that helps, thanks for giving me the opportunity to explain further.

On another note I am surprised that you were able to visit ECR and obtain knowledge of any part of their business dealings. Most people don't get past the receptionist.
Extremely well said.
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
I thought that ECR doesn't do mail order? And when they do, nothing ever goes wrong?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32217
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I thought that ECR doesn't do mail order? And when they do, nothing ever goes wrong?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32217
It was probably for a shipment of parts from England...
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:58 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
It was probably for a shipment of parts from England...
Oh right Rocky was talking about ECR as a buyer...I thought as a shipper. Too early for me. I need coffee.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Extremely well said.
(x2)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Crash303's Avatar
Crash303
Status: Offline
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jamul, CA, USA
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Ok, Rocky, I will explain for you.


This isnt commercial trucking or maritime shipping. This is a community of individuals that share a common bond of interest. In a community like this a sale is not complete until both parties have satisfied their obligation per the original agreement. It is a system that relies somewhat on the honor of individuals. Yet, you seem to think that your responsibility to others in the community ends the second a shipment leaves your premises. That makes you come off as purely self-interested. From those statements it is clear that you do not consider yourself a member of the community, rather just a user of a service, with no obligation to uphold and honor your end of an agreement. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

For what its worth, every shipment that leaves THESE premises is insured for the full value of the item, sometimes more if it is an irreplaceable or difficult to find part. The insurance charges are pretty minimal and they get included in the total provided to the buyer. I don't want someone to get screwed during a transaction with me because as a nearly 20 year member of the NA Land Rover community I am well known and I am only as good as my name.

In all these years of buying and selling bits from and to businesses and individuals I have had only a handful of parcels go missing. In EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE the seller has replaced the item. For all you folks doing "shipped" pricing, don't cheap out on the insurance and then leave the buyer swinging in the breeze when they don't get the item or it arrives damaged. The buyer does not have the opportunity to purchase insurance for a shipment that you arranged. And Rocky, the concept that as private individuals we should buy private, blanket-coverage insurance per your ECR example is unrealistic. I can pretty much guarantee that the number of individuals that own such a policy outside of the operation of a business is exactly zero. It just isn't practical when all the major shippers offer a reasonably priced alternative.

Again, you seem to see yourself as not having any responsibility to others that are involved in a transaction with you. That makes me want to use profanity but I was taught a long time ago that profanity gives people an excuse not to listen to you. And in this case, I really want you to understand what I am saying because I think it is fundamental to what makes the D90 community work so well. So I am not going to use profanity.

I hope that helps, thanks for giving me the opportunity to explain further.

On another note I am surprised that you were able to visit ECR and obtain knowledge of any part of their business dealings. Most people don't get past the receptionist.
I totally agree with everything you say!

Now I'm not here to throw anyone under the bus. I am just trying to figure out if I am in the right to ask the seller for the remaining balance of the claim? It sucks I really hate when good people get screwed over and up until this point the seller has been a stand-up guy. But now that things went south with the claim I haven't heard a work back from him. Looking back on all this I should have asked for my money back and had him deal with the claim. Lesson learned... FML

Thank you guys for all your input.... Even you Rocky. (although I don't think I will be buying anything from you as I don't like getting screwed over and I have had a lot of bad luck with shipping.)

Josh
__________________
When the F*%# did we get Ice cream!!!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,762
My comments only referred to the commercial nature of shipping stuff. The typical deals that we all do whether with RN/ABP/Paddocks/Craddocks etc.
Not the personal nature of deals via this Forum.
Its the personal nature of business through this forum that gives a moral duty on the seller to do everything possible to ensure proper delivery in the condition described, time frame promised etc.
Failing that test is not desireable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NAPA Sucks evilfij Misc. Chit-Chat 7 April 3rd, 2011 05:12 PM
My airconditioning sucks balls, need help Neil McCauley Defender Technical Discussions 0 September 25th, 2009 07:39 PM
Capitol One Sucks javelinadave Misc. Chit-Chat 4 December 12th, 2004 07:08 PM
Wow... this sucks mattwhite Defender Technical Discussions 13 October 22nd, 2004 11:39 PM
Insurance sucks Buckon37s Misc. Chit-Chat 8 June 2nd, 2004 08:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Copyright