Fat Bikes, who has one? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Fat Bikes, who has one?

I went a couple of weeks ago to the Sea Otter Classic bike event in Monterey. The full suspension fat bikes have captured my imagination. I test rode a King Khan by Turner($5.5k) and some others all around the same price range. The one I really liked besides the King was the Rocky Mountain Sherpa, while not a true fat bike with 27.5+ tires it looked nice in a cool(to me) paint job and a go anywhere...true Land Rover style...attitude.

So if you have one(fat bike) how do you like it?

Sherpa | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:09 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
They're amazing. Been riding them for about 5 years now.

If you ride them in snow I would say suspension is overkill and can be unreliable in the cold. As spring/summer/fall bike a fork or full sus might be nice.

I'm currently riding a 9zero7 one of the best handling fatbikes I've ridden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430600855.408381.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	119824  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
I have a surly moonlander - lots of fun. Honestly, I am not in love with it yet. Wasn't as foolproof in the snow as I thought, and is tougher to wrangle on technical trails.

I am going to give it another month or so then may consider selling and will just go back to my old hardtail carbon racer boy bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4094691941.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	119845

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:44 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Get some smaller low profile tread tires for the dirt. Those huge knobs will pull you all over the place on technical dirt trails. You might like it better.
I use mine primarily in winter. Also the Surly's while capable are not fast handing bikes (I rode one for two years). The 9zero7 was a completely different riding machine.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:20 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Surly has created true trail bike geometries in the Krampus (29+) and Ice Cream Trucker compared to the moonlander and the pugs.

I have an ICT with 4.8s for snow and sand and a Moots now with the bluto fork for 29+ summer fun.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
The krampus is a blast to ride on the trails! I've yet to try the ICT but it certainly sounds like an interesting option.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
I want one but can't justify it. It would forever be too much bike for me.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think they are ridiculous.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
A friend is trying to get me a bro deal on a Kona Wo.

KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | FREERANGE | WO

Has a decent build and I wanted 190mm rear spacing. Hopefully it comes through as that will keep me from eyeballing ti frames and building it myself. Do not want too much money in a fat bike.

As much as I dislike the company due to past experience with frame warranty, the Specialized FatBoy/Fatboy Experts are pretty damn good bikes.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:57 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorno View Post
A friend is trying to get me a bro deal on a Kona Wo. KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | FREERANGE | WO Has a decent build and I wanted 190mm rear spacing. Hopefully it comes through as that will keep me from eyeballing ti frames and building it myself. Do not want too much money in a fat bike. As much as I dislike the company due to past experience with frame warranty, the Specialized FatBoy/Fatboy Experts are pretty damn good bikes.
I have an old Kona Lava Dome mountain bike and I love it. So I would think just about anything they turn out would be quality.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2015 08:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
When I first saw one in Walmart, my first thought was some sort of Latino fad. They seem to like extreme things. First tiny wire spoke wheels on Chevy pickups. Then 22s. And elbow swangers.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:07 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I agree - feel like they are a novelty. I know guys say they are great for the beach or for snow but I am not looking to ride if I am on the beach and rather go play hockey or snowboard when there is snow.

I really don't get the guys that ride them on good old trails. With modern geometry, suspension and tires/wheels sizes why ride something so heavy feeling?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:28 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I have to add - I looked at the Sherpa and like the theory of the 650b+ tires (2.8-3.0). Have to say it's a cool looking bike.

Wish there was a 26+ tire option. I'd love a 26x2.8 that didn't weigh a ton.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:41 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

I think they are here to stay. I was riding my singlespeed 29er (the fad bike of five years ago) on some local trails the other day and came across a guy riding a full custom fat, carbon wheels etc, that weighs in the region of 24lbs. We stopped and bs'd for a while; he races it cross country, does bike packing trips and can keep up with many of his full sus' riding friends on all but the gnarliest of descents.

I don't see one in my near future as my SS puts a smile on my face just sitting still but I would happily own a Jeff Jones or Specialized Fat Boy.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:19 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I would agree they do appear as a fad. However I think that is largely driven by the bike industry who is desperately trying to grasp at whatever they can. I can't remember the stats exactly, but the number of bikes sold yearly really doesn't increase, so to grow your business you need to take sales from your competitors, and you certainly don't want to be left behind. I would imagine that things will quiet down in a few years once the market is supersaturated with product.
From a riders perspective you either like it or don't. I think location has a lot to do with it, areas with huge snowfall probably won't like them unless they have groomed trails as they're useless in super deep snow.
In Ottawa we have big shoulder seasons where skinny tires damage out trails and we would otherwise be sitting out riding. Also our winters are variable and when skiing conditions suck, fat bikes are usually awesome. It's nice to be able to take a quick rip down the road to your closest park to ride dog walkers paths, instead of loading up for a big outing to the hills, although that's fun too with a bit more time in your hands. I still prefer to ride my 29 full sus in the summer but if you wanted one bike to do a lot of things a fatty could be the ticket.

Old May 4th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I don't think they will be a fad but time will tell. The ones I rode from Turner, Salsa, Rocky Mtn, Specialized, ALL weighed in around 27 pounds even with full suspension. As for the nimbleness of the ride, if you closed your eyes while on it you wouldn't know it was a fat bike. I did find it harder to bunny hop with the softer tyres.
I even rode one full suspension fatbike with electric pedal assist, that was amazing to cruise along at 12mph while putting out the effort of 8mph. Prime conditions were 40 mile range, and a governer of 20mph. Can't remember the MFG though. Lots of electric pedal assist bikes on display at the Sea Otter.
Blog;
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:42 AM
supercharged67gt
Andy
64 series IIa x3

Registry
ive had fat bikes since the first gen pugsley .. I have even raced a few... they are super slow and way to main stream now.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:10 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
I don't think they will be a fad but time will tell. The ones I rode from Turner, Salsa, Rocky Mtn, Specialized, ALL weighed in around 27 pounds even with full suspension. As for the nimbleness of the ride, if you closed your eyes while on it you wouldn't know it was a fat bike. I did find it harder to bunny hop with the softer tyres. I even rode one full suspension fatbike with electric pedal assist, that was amazing to cruise along at 12mph while putting out the effort of 8mph. Prime conditions were 40 mile range, and a governer of 20mph. Can't remember the MFG though. Lots of electric pedal assist bikes on display at the Sea Otter.
If you close your eyes and it rides like a regular bike ... Then clearly it's just about looks?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:34 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

I have had a Salsa Beargrease now for 3 years. The bike is my go to bike, very comfortable and fun to ride.
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
If you close your eyes and it rides like a regular bike ... Then clearly it's just about looks?
Ah contraire mon fraire! or however it's spelled, I suggest you do a search for fat bike videos. You will see what they can do vs other bikes.

Where I live on California central coast there are many good trails to ride and the surface can vary from rock garden to roots to sand any time any where. IMHO having a fat bike would allow me to ride all of it. At the present time the sand is too deep, too long to ride thru and the rock gardens too big for my 26" shod Titus. Not to mention the gravel they dumped on the steep climbs at Ft Ord, Scary!

When I go mountainbiking I want to ride, not do hike-a-bike.
Blog;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat