Extremely Delayed Delivery of a 110 from Vendor(Need Advice) - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
I spoke with the shop on Tue and told them to make one payment to you immediately and another set for next week. From what I see on line that was accomplished and was done so immediately
Dave,

I just spoke with my credit card company and have disputed the charge. I did this to cover myself just in case I never receive the checks from you, today was the last day I could dispute. If I receive the checks and they clear, I'll call my cc company back and let them know we took care of it on our own. You can trust me. I hope everything works out for you Dave. I'm not mad, things happen and all we can do is try to make them right. Good luck Dave and to everyone involved.

Regards,
Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Is there as point on your pitchfork?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=58943

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Dave,

I just spoke with my credit card company and have disputed the charge. I did this to cover myself just in case I never receive the checks from you, today was the last day I could dispute. If I receive the checks and they clear, I'll call my cc company back and let them know we took care of it on our own. You can trust me. I hope everything works out for you Dave. I'm not mad, things happen and all we can do is try to make them right. Good luck Dave and to everyone involved.

Regards,
Carmen
Personally, I would have kept that card closer to my chest. Never underestimate your opponent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I've never thought of people as opponents. I'm not going think of Dave in that way just yet. Sucks to have to change the way I feel about people, especially the ones I thought I could trust. How he chooses to handle this will show what kind of man he is.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:02 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Well I guess it's time someone who has a dog in the fight chimes in. Everyone else who offered there opinions on the situation and those who are out marginal amounts (and I realize that is a relative term) can continue being irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

My interest in this is more in line with the OP so I have something to add here I think.

First let me start by saying I have met David, several times, spoken with him no the phone more times than I can count and I will vouch that he is a genuinely nice guy. Running a business is hard, running a business for 18 years without pissing someone off is impossible and working with the land rover community can be difficult in ways I cannot fathom (hell writing a post here can have 15 people jumping down your throat, imagine when there is a corporal product involved).

I imported my 90 in May of 2011, found a truck overseas, bought it sight unseen and arranged all freight and customs. It was a lot of 4AM phone calls and a lot of luck and I will be the first to admit I bucked the trend and got my rig for a song. I brought it over, drove it form the port without mechanical inspection for 4 hours home (hadn't driven RHD in like 3 years so it was an adventure) and got the vehicle registered and titled in little RI.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	111831

Truck ran well for almost a year then one day my lt77 blew up and I went down the rabbit hole. First I tried to sell it off, then I realized it had some frame rot and the 2.5NA was under powered, so I contacted David and purchased an engine and transmission kit and a galvanized frame, along the same time I started buying parts to do a 24 spline swap front and rear.

I drove to Atlanta, in a weekend (that's 48 hours of wheel time in 2.5 days), when gas was $4/gallon (still cheaper than shipping) and hauled 2 frames (one for me) 3 engines/R380 combos (again one for me) and moved the stuff up the coast. Hell David even bought my friend and I lunch and we loaded up and drove it all home.

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	111832

That was my first time meeting David and the crew at ULC; it was a small shop, they had mostly Yodas on the floor and a few Defenders, this was before the cowboys got into the business and defenders were hitting ports at an alarming rate (some questionable). So I shook David's hand and moved some freight up the coast for guys at cost, he arranged it so I could save some coin and these guys could avoid shipping heavy/large items.

Fast forward 8 months and I was unemployed, lost my apartment, tried to sell the truck as a project but ultimately failed. I was stuck with a non rolling truck, an engine and transmission and no where to work on it. Out of options I called David and we worked out a deal on a rebuild. I scraped every last penny I had together, gave David his 50% deposit and loaded up the truck, axles and engine into the truck and made another drive to Atlanta on a borrowed trailed with a borrowed truck. David arranged for another Customer to take my frame and transmission and pick it up in RI rather then ATL, didn't have to do that and it saved me having to move freight back south.

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	111833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	111834

That was April of 2013, April 1st because that is the day I had to be out of my apartment. Now my agreement with David was to work on the truck when they had the chance since I couldn't afford to pay him all that much. So for 6 month's the truck sat and I was completely OK with that. Around November 2013 they pulled it in and started work on the truck, made fast progress for 3 months, then it sat again, and it kept sitting for 6 months. During this time the shop expanded, David became a vendor for a lot of UK companies and launched a website and hired several employees. I was patient because I know how labor intensive all of that is. I got antsy in the summer of 2014 as I had expected my truck to be completed and that's when David started digging in again.

The truck got a full respray (Personally I think the color was off) by November of 2014 the truck was looking like a scaffold of a defender. David started delivering and meeting deadlines and I was looking to set a date. December of 2014 David informed me of personnel changes, the week of thanksgiving someone broke into the shop and he was handling insurance claims and some other internal theft. Not his fault but I would be lying if I said I wasn't livid. I mean we are talking about a project that has run almost 20 months at this point, 12 of them in some state of active rebuild.

My story ends on a happy note (I hope) currently I believe the last thing that needs to be completed on my truck is a set of seats and a steering stabilizer per my last conversation with the new shop manager. I can honestly say the last 3 months have put the previous 12 to shame in terms of progress.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1028307...onTDefender90#

Did a 15 Month rebuild on my truck suck? You bet it did, I would be lying if I didn't alternatively hate and love ULC in a given week. Some heartbreak, some frustration, but overall I know David, remember I have shaken his hand, and I know he isn't trying to fuck up, in the end he's just an enthusiastic business owner who's over zealous personality led him to take on more work then his shop could handle.

I will follow up this post with my own thread and own inspection of the finished product. I am by no means a Land Rover certified mechanic but I have owned more cars then you can count and haven't brought any of them in for service in the last 10 years. I hope to have my truck within the week, and yes I have said that before.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Great post NPT90! Well said
It takes a considerable amount of time to summarize things into a post that is fair and balanced like that.
Everyone should put away the torches and pitchforks for a bit and give David the opportunity to get his shit together.....or not, but I think there is a lot of folks on here who feel the same way as me in that they want to see ULC succeed, just that there's a lot that need to be corrected.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:38 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Wow...thanks.

It is not a matter of survival or doing good or not. I want to be 100% with folks; obviously there are serious issues; some deeper than others.

I am due to be pitchforked.... I earned the privilege. I appreciate the positive as well as the negative . I don't want to reply to the specifics some folks have said. Suffice it to say there are two sides to each interaction and while I will not never claim to be spotless I am also not a evil POS screwing people!

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
It is not a matter of survival or doing good or not. I want to be 100% with folks; obviously there are serious issues; some deeper than others.
Excellent statement that I honestly believe.
If you are willing to be 100%, then you can reconcile with Bobby on his missing parts and Adam on his non-running engine and then win back the lost faith that those two have otherwise grown to accept.
Is this the case?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

David and I had some issues with my order and it took some time to get it all straight, but in the end David did come through. And he has helped me out a few times after that as well with other things.
In my experience he did make it right in the end.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:17 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

I have already reached out to Adam today and exchanged multiple emails with him before I went out of town.

I do not feel it is correct for me to share our private concerns. I do agree he has an issue and I have offered over 4 different solutions. The motor was sold and shipped almost 18 months ago, it was running and tested prior to that and we video this stuff.

I am open to another solution and that is why I reached out today. My last email to him before going out of town was that I wanted to help him with this but I needed him to meet me in the middle. At NO time did I say I would not warrantee the motor. Obviously this thread has been a good kick in the ass; I await to hear back form Adam. Ball is in his court.

I am not clear a the moment with Bobby but I will determine it today.

I appreciate the comment

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
....it was running and tested prior to that and we video this stuff
My seven cents....

Seriously go and carefully look at the other thread and photos. That was not a running motor. Whoever was handling your testing in the UK at the time has mislead you and you really need to step back and consider the evidence. This is why people are bringing out the pitchforks. It does not seem that you are willing to believe things did not happen in the way you believed them to have happened.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
I imported my 90 in May of 2011, found a truck overseas, bought it sight unseen and arranged all freight and customs. It was a lot of 4AM phone calls and a lot of luck and I will be the first to admit I bucked the trend and got my rig for a song.
The rest of your post contradicts the statement above. Do you now own it for a song?
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Quote:
I imported my 90 in May of 2011, found a truck overseas, bought it sight unseen and arranged all freight and customs. It was a lot of 4AM phone calls and a lot of luck and I will be the first to admit I bucked the trend and got my rig for a song.
The rest of your post contradicts the statement above. Do you now own it for a song?
Clearly he doesn't but the bottom line is that he probably started off alot better than many folks who buy an overpriced landed US rig and then have to pay someone even more to sort out all the typical issues.

Lets face it, an average, decent condition unrestored running truck doesn't cost 12000 USD in the UK But it does in North America.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
To be honest...I don't think it matters if you spend $500 on a Rover, or $50K....they all end up top-heavy in the long run!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:58 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Respectfully it's a figure of speech and it mean I got a deal on the truck originally. Not sure you know what contradict means
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Respectfully it's a figure of speech and it mean I got a deal on the truck originally. Not sure you know what contradict means
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
My seven cents....

Seriously go and carefully look at the other thread and photos. That was not a running motor. Whoever was handling your testing in the UK at the time has mislead you and you really need to step back and consider the evidence. This is why people are bringing out the pitchforks. It does not seem that you are willing to believe things did not happen in the way you believed them to have happened.
I have. The ONLY issue I had with all of it was the 18 months...no other issue with warrantee at all. I have had to warrantee motors before and will again. And yes, crap out of the UK can be a nightmare.

Of course we can all see different sides to this issue. I am more than willing to default in Adams favor and tried to do so from the start. I will admit I got my hackles up and dug in my heels. I apologized for that.

I already reached out to Adam and we are coming up with a solution he will be happy with but to be very clear we have already tried different options. I understand his valid concerns and I believe he understands mine. As such I am back to his preferred option.

I have a giant list of things we have refunder or replaced simply because someone changed their mind. We default in the customers favor as much as possible. I have a set of Exmoor Elite Seats custom built for a customer that decided he did not like them once he got them. I am sitting on $3800 worth of seats now....we defaulted in his favor.

I will take my lumps....when deserved I will admit to them and try to solve the issue.

I believe Adam will be solved today.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Thank you Bill lol, may your deep knowledge of the internet never fail to produce spot on comedic relief
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
JehovahNissi77
Ceyon Woods
1991 200Tdi D110 CSW, Arles Blue

Registry
David. I'm lurking. We have a call.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
I spoke with the shop on Tue and told them to make one payment to you immediately and another set for next week. From what I see on line that was accomplished and was done so immediately
Dave,

I received a call from one of the ladies at your shop and was told a full payment would be put in the mail today. I was also instructed to call her when it arrived and I will do so. If I receive that partial check as well, I will send it back to you right away. Thank you Dave. If I jumped the gun I'm sorry, but when I've called, pm'd and e-mailed and gotten no response...? Anyway thank you again and I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Carmen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, advice