Extremely Delayed Delivery of a 110 from Vendor(Need Advice) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
JehovahNissi77
Ceyon Woods
1991 200Tdi D110 CSW, Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I would also agree that if your 110 was only $7500 then that's a project fixer upper for sure. A reliable ROW daily driver budget should be around $20-$25k minimum, and fully restored is north of $80k.

I agree. I wouldn't mind taking possession "as is" but don't feel comfortable since I am not sure if it is registered in the US yet.
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What do you mean registered in the US yet? At the federal level?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
No. You need to handle this situation more clearly. Hire/obtain legal counsel, get your deposit back in full and walk away. I had a small dealing with said company and they were certainly aggressive in demanding full payment despite goods not being delivered. Push back and don't allow a vendor to carry on with an abstract understanding of basic contract law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Normally I would suggest insisting on your money back, but in the case of this vendor, you are probably best to take the truck and run with the import paperwork. I'm guessing the solvency of that business is not going to be long lived. No blood from a stone.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JehovahNissi77 View Post
I agree. I wouldn't mind taking possession "as is" but don't feel comfortable since I am not sure if it is registered in the US yet.
once it comes through customs, the next step would be you taking it to local DMV to have it titled and registered. Since it's made it through customs, I think you are clear. Take it home, or somewhere else and get it running enough to pass safety inspections. In NC, diesels are exempt from emissions.

I think you are closer than you think. You can do a bulkhead swap yourself with common tools, which would be advisable for just about any 80's row truck anyway. buy a galvanized one for $2k, have it painted and be done for life. You might even buy a later model TDI bulkhead with everything on it and throw that in.

------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2015 04:29 PM ------

Dave has complete take off bulkheads just sitting on the shelf. I've seen them. maybe you can work a deal and just leave with your truck as is and one of those, and call it a day.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
If it's in the US and you've purchased it, then per the advertisements, it will come with GA title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
Upon purchase, Truck can ship within a week and be in the US within 3-4 weeks. Truck is provided in Atlanta with GA tag and title for $7,500. All customs and import issues taken care of. We can help with transport to your location.

Quote:

You're fast.
I try. I think these were the pics that originally accompanied the below description.

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/pho...=Ceyon1105Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
Hi All,
I have been on a bit of a rampage last week buying 110s! I sold the first 4 already and had planned on keeping this one but I found a hi cap I am lusting after

Right now located in Stoke on Trent with my partner. I own this truck and have the V5 etc...to provide as needed.

1986 110. Overall in good shape but not great shape. The chassis has the normal to slightly less than normal rust. The rear x-member has been replaced and is perfect. Both outriggers are a bit rough and will need to be replaced eventually.

It is right on the line of new chassis. It is fine as is to drive until you get around to a new chassis or could be repaired and more years gotten out of it.

Doors are OK. The ft and 2nd row and all good and not rotted out but need minor to medium repair on bottoms. The rear door is about shot. We can include a repairable rear door at no charge or a discount on a new rear door.

Everything works fine. Truck runs and drives. Nothing really wrong with any system but be aware this is an older 110, not restored and it WILL need work.

The motor is 2.5n and matches the V5 as does the chassis.

No motor issues or tranny issues. It has the Lt77 clunk but not horribly bad.

This is a good price on a very decent truck. If you expect a daily driver please move on. If you want a great base to build up a truck this is much better and much cheaper than many we see here in the shop. It is fully drivable right now.

Upon purchase, Truck can ship within a week and be in the US within 3-4 weeks. Truck is provided in Atlanta with GA tag and title for $7,500. All customs and import issues taken care of. We can help with transport to your location.

Truck is currently in the UK but not scheduled to ship unless it is purchased. At some point we will ship it over there but once it arrives here it will cost a bit more or may not be for sale at all.

We require a 50% deposit to sell the truck to you and set up shipping. 25% of remainder upon shipping and final 25% upon delivery and acceptance here in the US.

More than happy to answer any questions and get specific pictures as needed.

Please e mail us direct.

Go here for PICs:
http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/pho...105DoorForSale
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Those are pretty transparent shots of the chassis condition, but definitely missing the bulkhead rot pics.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
And yes don't let me forget transientmechanic
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Getting legal advice is crucial. The quality of documentation is vital. Starting at vin numbers etc. I am sure that CBP could tell you if your vin was ever imported and whether it was allowed in.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
This really has gone on way too long. Dave, I hope you're reading this. This is shameful.

I know we have one side of the story, but it sounds like you need to pick up the phone and talk to your customer.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:05 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

From my research after my incident this month, it appears this has been going on in the Land Cruiser community for years. Search IH8MUD for "david dearborn" or "urban land cruisers"...

The Land Rover community is just the next victim.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Another sheister.

I wonder if he has a drug problem or something.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
If it's in the US and you've purchased it, then per the advertisements, it will come with GA title. I try. I think these were the pics that originally accompanied the below description. http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/pho...=Ceyon1105Door
Apart from fact that those shots should be uploaded here before they are taken down, and that I don't know how much you have lost so far, what I see there is a worn out money pit.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I had a very brief yet stern conversation with this vendor over a small ticket item. David is not someone I would trust with anything.

Are we talking about 50% deposit on a $7500 truck? I can't imagine he was going to get that thing "road worthy" for free, so did you pay any additional money?

I agree with what was said before: Contact customs let them know you would like to send someone an email, or whatever correspondence they need to verify the legality of the import. Let David know you are contacting them. If he coughs up the appropriate forms, or authorizes you to pull them from the shipper at his expense great, grab the truck and run.

Offer him 10% and the remaining balance to be paid after the vehicle is deemed road worthy by what ever inspection criteria you agree on. Involve the local law enforcement if they are available to assist. Send the better business bureau or local equivalent a complaint. An attorney would be nice but thankfully this isn't a $40k 110 and an attorney will likely cost you about what you have in it already if you try to get this to court.

Are they still a "vendor"? seems like at some point that privilege should be removed, fees refunded whatever don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:55 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Those of you who have had bad personal experiences with ULC, please write a review on Google or similar. Word is getting around in our community, but there are a lot of Defender and Cruiser owners who aren't on any forums and may also be taken advantage of.

I'm not asking anyone to write fraudulent reviews though
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A couple of things.

The fact the truck is @ his shop means it cleared customs. Whether it cleared as a truck or as parts given the pictures would be my concern. If it entered as parts then it will never be titled here. You can contact DVLA in the UK with the plate number and explain your plight and apply for a certificate of perm export-this will be the closest thing to a foreign registration you can get and will be what most states are looking for in addition to the import docs in order to title it. If you can find out who his customs broker is they should have kept copies of the import docs. Taking the import documents to DMV and getting a title while part of your deal may not have happened. Do you have someone who can do a car fax or similar and see if the vin pulls up a Ga title no? (Do you have the VIn-if so post it) If not then it did not happen and my concern would be that the import docs are lost. The truck isn't even worth 7500 if it has no US identity. Given the issues so many others are having I'd get what you can while you can as John said above.
I wish you the best of luck but I would agree with others that your best play is to get your property out of that building asap.

did you ask them to pull the transmission or is the truck being cannibalized ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'd say to give them one last try. That is to say, make it clear that you will turn to legal means in two weeks if the issue is not resolved. Then turn to the base reps you have access to. Often at single letter from an attorney will do the trick.

At that point you will need to decide if it worth your time and money to follow through on legal threats.

Maybe you cut your losses.

It doesn't sound like a "scam". It sounds like maybe the vendor is in as much over his head as you are and can't deliver on the promised goods without taking a loss. But that's the risk he took, and has no right to pass that on to you unless done so at full disclosure. Which it sounds as if, even though the price (if the linked add was the right one) was good, the description is what you are purchasing.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I'd say to give them one last try. That is to say, make it clear that you will turn to legal means in two weeks if the issue is not resolved. Then turn to the base reps you have access to. Often at single letter from an attorney will do the trick.

At that point you will need to decide if it worth your time and money to follow through on legal threats.

Maybe you cut your losses.

It doesn't sound like a "scam". It sounds like maybe the vendor is in as much over his head as you are and can't deliver on the promised goods without taking a loss. But that's the risk he took, and has no right to pass that on to you unless done so at full disclosure. Which it sounds as if, even though the price (if the linked add was the right one) was good, the description is what you are purchasing.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Several members of this board have already filed suit. Pick up whats left of your truck asap.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I agree with Uncle Douglas. Focus your energies on getting the truck. A bird in the hand...

I don't know the vendor but if everything in this thread is true, you won't get any $ back from this guy.... Or any reliable help to get the truck completed.

Just get the truck and figure out your next move after that. Solve the problem one step at a time.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Several members of this board have already filed suit. Pick up whats left of your truck asap.
Sinking ship.

Blood from stone.

And so on.

Go there with some friends. Get your truck and whatever parts you can. Do what you can to get him to hand over the import documents.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, advice