Extremely Delayed Delivery of a 110 from Vendor(Need Advice) - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #221  
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:45 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Wouldn't it be a good idea to specifically state that in the vendor section sticky
Indeed. Janet updated the the sticky in the vendor section. Thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #222  
Old March 21st, 2015, 05:35 PM
ArmyRover's Avatar
ArmyRover
Status: Offline
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,617
Any update on how this has worked out?
__________________
"If you can't stand behind our Soldiers, than by all means feel free to stand in front of them"

Unknown Author


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:47 PM
Ncrover725's Avatar
Ncrover725
Status: Offline
Bobby
1985 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Spings, CO
Posts: 636
Registry
Do Jewish people not eat yams?
__________________
Bobby
1985 110 5 Door
1991 90
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #224  
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:14 PM
kilr4d
Status: Offline
John
1999 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 40
Registry
Omfg.

This thread is depressing for newbie Defender owner.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:28 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
Do Jewish people not eat yams?
They throw them...at political rallies...uncooked so their point is made, it's a very aggressive tactic.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
JehovahNissi77
Status: Offline
Ceyon Woods
1991 200Tdi D110 CSW, Arles Blue
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Swansboro, NC, USA
Posts: 59
Registry
48hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Any update on how this has worked out?
Still working on it. The short version is the owner and I now have a gentlemen's agreement for the recoupment of the refund. I will also be taking required steps on my end in the eventuality that things still do not work out.

The long version: After many phone calls and emails with no result I hit the road Wednesday Morning at 0400. After 470 miles (according to Google maps) of straight driving, no snacks or bathroom breaks I arrived at the shop around 1140. I said to myself I should have left at 0200 like I planned or drove faster but either way I was determined not to make any stops. The range on the vehicle would allow me to drive straight to the shop with an estimated 120 miles in reserve if I didn't drive it like a mad man. I just missed him, he had just left within a few minutes of my arrival for an appointment. The office called and told him I was there and then he emailed to let me know he'd be back after the appointment.

I looked around the shop for a bit hoping that the truck was in one piece it wasn't. There were two trucks being worked on mine wasn't one of them. There was a white classic with a TDI conversion and an Arles blue D90. Both looked pretty good. I wouldn't have known it was a conversion unless I was told. The engine looked like it belonged in there and sounded really strong as well. The D90 looked almost new and was getting final finishing touches. I wondered around a bit more then went to the local police station. I figured anything that would help put this to an end would we worth it. I was advised this was a civil matter and I could go to the local courthouse to file a claim. They said they would provide an escort if I called 911 when I got back to the shop.

I did just that not knowing what to expect. When the officer arrived he also advised me it was a civil matter but would be there incase anything escalated. We went to the owners office and the officer stayed just outside the door. The owner was very cordial and after a few minutes of discussing the matter I didn't feel in any danger so I asked the officer to leave as I didn't want to keep him from any actual emergencies. The owner as always was good to talk to but it became clear the issue would not be resolved that day due to circumstances that are best left for him to divulge. I left Friday at 1147 immediately got stuck in Atlanta Traffic, then I- 95 traffic 4 hrs later and then stuck behind slow moving traffic on NC-11 before arriving at home at 2030. At least it was an adventure. (I know not quite 48hrs but close enough for me.)

It does appear that he is making a sincere effort to make things right overall and has hit a bit of a rough patch. I hope that things do turn around for him personally and professionally not just so I can get my money but also so that he can also be fulfilled. He appears to enjoy working on Rovers. I sincerely hope he succeeds in his efforts to run a better business or finds a better path. (Make no mistake though, I still want my Money).


My wife and I discussed it and decided that we would wait for the eventual return of the Defender to the US market. If its not too hideous and has a diesel engine we'll take steps to acquire one. In the mean time there will be lots of saving and diapers.
__________________
1991 200Tdi D110 CSW, Arles Blue.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JehovahNissi77 View Post
Still working on it. The short version is the owner and I now have a gentlemen's agreement for the recoupment of the refund. I will also be taking required steps on my end in the eventuality that things still do not work out.

The long version: After many phone calls and emails with no result I hit the road Wednesday Morning at 0400. After 470 miles (according to Google maps) of straight driving, no snacks or bathroom breaks I arrived at the shop around 1140. I said to myself I should have left at 0200 like I planned or drove faster but either way I was determined not to make any stops. The range on the vehicle would allow me to drive straight to the shop with an estimated 120 miles in reserve if I didn't drive it like a mad man. I just missed him, he had just left within a few minutes of my arrival for an appointment. The office called and told him I was there and then he emailed to let me know he'd be back after the appointment.

I looked around the shop for a bit hoping that the truck was in one piece it wasn't. There were two trucks being worked on mine wasn't one of them. There was a white classic with a TDI conversion and an Arles blue D90. Both looked pretty good. I wouldn't have known it was a conversion unless I was told. The engine looked like it belonged in there and sounded really strong as well. The D90 looked almost new and was getting final finishing touches. I wondered around a bit more then went to the local police station. I figured anything that would help put this to an end would we worth it. I was advised this was a civil matter and I could go to the local courthouse to file a claim. They said they would provide an escort if I called 911 when I got back to the shop.

I did just that not knowing what to expect. When the officer arrived he also advised me it was a civil matter but would be there incase anything escalated. We went to the owners office and the officer stayed just outside the door. The owner was very cordial and after a few minutes of discussing the matter I didn't feel in any danger so I asked the officer to leave as I didn't want to keep him from any actual emergencies. The owner as always was good to talk to but it became clear the issue would not be resolved that day due to circumstances that are best left for him to divulge. I left Friday at 1147 immediately got stuck in Atlanta Traffic, then I- 95 traffic 4 hrs later and then stuck behind slow moving traffic on NC-11 before arriving at home at 2030. At least it was an adventure. (I know not quite 48hrs but close enough for me.)

It does appear that he is making a sincere effort to make things right overall and has hit a bit of a rough patch. I hope that things do turn around for him personally and professionally not just so I can get my money but also so that he can also be fulfilled. He appears to enjoy working on Rovers. I sincerely hope he succeeds in his efforts to run a better business or finds a better path. (Make no mistake though, I still want my Money).


My wife and I discussed it and decided that we would wait for the eventual return of the Defender to the US market. If its not too hideous and has a diesel engine we'll take steps to acquire one. In the mean time there will be lots of saving and diapers.

That sucks beyond words. The fact that she is even still open to the word Defender speaks volumes about her. You really drew the short straw.
__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Ceyon,
Assuming your out of pocket is below $15,000, PLEASE read and take strong consideration to the following.
GA Magistrate Court Information for Consumers | Governor's Office of Consumer Protection
Note the 8th bullet.
To kick start the process, have you sent via certified mail a formal Complaint Letter to Urban?
http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...-to-a-business
We all hope this gets resolved in your favor, but it is time to formalize your discussions with Urban. It does not take an attorney to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
Glenn_Guinto's Avatar
Glenn_Guinto
Status: Offline
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Valley, NY
Posts: 1,037
Registry
Ceyon, I don't know you but you are a very good natured person for still thinking that about David. Good for you and I hope you stumble upon a really great deal and the rover gods bless you and your family with the perfect Defender of your dreams. You got good karma circling back on you my friend!
__________________
Glenn


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:12 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,502
Registry
If you want my 2 cents, you better take him to court NOW and get your adjudication, before he skips and leaves you holding the bag. His word is not worth the air it takes to speak them. Leaving with even more lip service? I would not have been able to contain myself...
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,787
Registry
Im surprised you didnt show up with a Uhaul and fill it with parts worth at least what your owed..
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:19 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Im surprised you didnt show up with a Uhaul and fill it with parts worth at least what your owed..
Sorry, that is crap advice. Ceyon would be foolish to bring home a single bolt of that D110 from Urban.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:35 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,787
Registry
who said anything about parts from his 110? Im not relaying any advice.. I just wouldn't of left without something of equal value… hmm ill take 3 of those puma bulkheads, maybe a few sets of lock and folds etc..and when you pay you can have them back and if don't at least i have collateral.. but thats just me.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,796
Russel, John was suggesting that Ceyon, show up at Urban and start loading up parts until he had enough to square away his investment which to me suggested that may be the only way he could get his investment back.
Since Ceyon's 110 was in such bad condition, I read into John's post that there would not be anything from the 110, just other parts.
5 or 6 sets of 300TDI engine conversion parts and a few piles of body parts and Ceyon may be good-to-go!
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Sorry, I missed John's point. But something tells me Ceyon would not be in a position to determine equal value and get equally hosed on a deal that he does not have the time or space to commiserate. Besides, how could you assure the ownership of said 300TDI or Puma bulkhead 'collateral' was not disputed? Think of the mess that would start (e.g., - Hilton Head vs. Wilmington). The steps for resolution are clean. I included the links to the process in Georgia in my prior post. It does not require an attorney to obtain Urban's undivided attention. Let Urban sell that 'collateral' to obtain the $$ to payback Ceyon if it is so easy.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,787
Registry
All fair points… I just hate to see the poor guy leave empty handed again!
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:52 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,237
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
We are not going out of business, the opposite as we keep growing and growing and it wont seem to stop. That is the bottom line issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JehovahNissi77 View Post
I hope that things do turn around for him personally and professionally not just so I can get my money but also so that he can also be fulfilled.
Bottom line to anyone getting work done there, make sure you get what you paid for ASAP before there is nothing left.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:02 PM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
Do Jewish people not eat yams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
They throw them...at political rallies...uncooked so their point is made, it's a very aggressive tactic.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Yes Jews eat yams but THIS Jew hates yams like Bryan Williams hates the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:05 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Online
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,532
Registry
I really feel like there should be a sticky warning individuals to never purchase trucks from US sellers advertising a truck that is overseas. You know the type: "This truck will be in the US in 4 weeks, pay us now."

There's scamming by intent and scamming by default. The practice of US companies "pre-selling" trucks that are overseas before they come to the US is incredibly risky, and is actually a huge headache for the community when the deal goes bad. This turns otherwise honest businesses into criminals.

This whole thread is just one big warning against the practice. I really feel that Defendersource should just prohibit this type of selling practice altogether.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:29 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,778
Agreed. There is a great place for that kind of sale. Its called Ebay.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, advice

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extremely rare Defender PTO winch setup roverdover For Sale - Parts 0 October 8th, 2012 04:04 PM
Rover Garage Sale - A Collection of Extremely Rare Parts Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 16 September 7th, 2011 09:26 AM
Extremely Vague '83 110 Brake Question Wolf Fabrication Defender Technical Discussions 6 June 24th, 2010 10:54 AM
Extremely Vague Disco Axle Question Wolf Fabrication Defender Technical Discussions 3 February 15th, 2010 09:40 AM
EXTREMELY RARE Defender 90 / 110 Hood Scoop Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 24 November 30th, 2009 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Copyright