Expedition Exchange - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 31st, 2007, 03:32 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I just killed the last 45 minutes reading through this again. Classic. It is so tempting to stoke that fire, but i`ll refrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:17 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

haha i loved it...im glad i dug it up cause im a newb to the forum as far as number of posts is concerned
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just had to chime in, so I could be part of this legendary thread. I have a Benchmade automatic (probably the same one referred to earlier, that I received while deployed in Iraq. I tried to sell it on ebay as I didn't need it any more. Ebay spanked me and said that it is not sellable on ebay due to the restrictions John Lee referred to. I still have that knife, as it is unsellable. All my friends are military, and have the same knife....

John could have explained the rules on the knife and asked if the prospective buyer is police or military and can back it up, but it was clear on the website, even if it sucks.

Also, I absorb all the opinions i solicit constructively. The more heated the better, as they tend to be based on more experience than my own. And if I do something to my rig that is rediculous, please, please God, send me someone that will tell me, so I don't get my rig or family in trouble while on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Damn, can't believe I almost let this one slip by.

Personally I have lost my desire to shop at Rover "boutiques". Not sure if that's the correct spelling but it sure fits the Webster definition.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I bought a bunch of Equal and some valve caps a long time ago from them. Within 1 week I needed a pair of pliers to remove the valve caps beacaue roadsalt has made them corrode and bond to the valves, what junk. The Equal did not work very well at all on my 265/75-16 Goodyear MTRs. I called and asked them about it, the response, "MTRs suck." This from people who wheel Michelin street tires on a D2. Occasionally I still buy from them for some small items like a replacement mirror or deflator but their attitude is complete crap and totally Californicentric when it comes to wheeling and what works. There is a place for swampers, just not in Cali, it does not make them wrong or stupid unless you are John and Ho.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:05 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I bought a bunch of Equal and some valve caps a long time ago from them. Within 1 week I needed a pair of pliers to remove the valve caps beacaue roadsalt has made them corrode and bond to the valves, what junk. The Equal did not work very well at all on my 265/75-16 Goodyear MTRs. I called and asked them about it, the response, "MTRs suck." This from people who wheel Michelin street tires on a D2. Occasionally I still buy from them for some small items like a replacement mirror or deflator but their attitude is complete crap and totally Californicentric when it comes to wheeling and what works. There is a place for swampers, just not in Cali, it does not make them wrong or stupid unless you are John and Ho.
By their response being MTRs suck, I assume you were dealing with John. Ho has always been cool as shit. Whenever I have talked to him, he has always discussed his opinions on mods, as opposed to John, who just bluntly states his opinion (My BFG MTs are too jeepish, aftermarket shock mounths are going to break, my tire carrier is going to fall off the back of my truck, etc). Also, I don`t get the impression that Ho (the one with the D2 you are doggin on) does anything aggressive to the point where MTRs, or if you are subscribing to the EE way, XZLs, are necessary.

I didn`t want to get into this, I figured I`d let sleeping dongs lay, but it`s been started again. That, and I don`t like the idea of newer forum members reading through this post and only getting one side of the story. As I already said, Ho has always been awesome. There have been a couple times where I have been on road trips down in Southern California and ran into issues with my D90 and had to stop at EE to borrow tools. Ho has always been welcoming and accomidating, and I greatly appreciate that. Otherwise, i`ve been through the shop probably a half dozen times, and spent a decent amount of time talking to both John and Ho about mods.

Now, I`ve already said what I think of Ho. John though? Hear me out on this one. As stated numerous times throughout this thread, John is a pretentious dick. He really is. You just gotta take it with a grain of salt though. Whether or not you take offense I think is the main issue, and you can choose to buy into EE and their ways or not. Personally, I choose to. I have bought various accessories from them over the last 3 years. You know why I keep going back? They seem to be the only retailer that ALWAYS gets my order right, and always gets me my product when I expect it. They are a very smooth, professional operation. Johns ways may make you think he is a shitty salesman, and if you think so, great, whatever. Don`t talk to him. Do research elsewhere, or talk to Ho, and then order from EE. Or if you choose not to order from EE, just don`t take Johns shit personally. If you do end up ordering from EE, at least based on my experiences, at least you know you`ll get your correct order, and you`ll get it in a timely fashion.

I have run into issues with Rovers North (who have always been very accomidating, but still, I repeatedly get either wrong or crappily built parts from... or this time, they simply forgot to send me the one part I ordered, so here I am a week and a half later, it just now got sent... Rob was very appologetic about it, but it was still annoying), AB (who have given me attitude and pawned crappy aftermarket parts off onto me, except Dave F, who was extremely pleasant to deal with), Rover Accessories (horribly over priced), Safari Gard (all I can say is fuck you, Safari Gard), etc etc. EE has always been super easy to deal with when I know what I want and just order it.

As for the argument that EE is overpriced, well, look at any independent shop compared to larger, national distributor. It`s hard to keep a small shop going. I worked in a small, independent drum shop for a while, and compared to the national chain Guitar Center, we did have higher prices on some items. It`s just how it goes. Personally, I am willing to pay a little more, because a) I prefer supporting small business, b) they get my shit right, c) if I have issues (which I havn`t) I know who I am dealing with, and wont get passed around from salesman to salesman and have to deal with a phone tree, and d) a few bucks here and there is not going to kill me.

Just my thoughts.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM
nosivad_bor
Rob Davison
1999 Disco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I just had to chime in, so I could be part of this legendary thread. I have a Benchmade automatic (probably the same one referred to earlier, that I received while deployed in Iraq. I tried to sell it on ebay as I didn't need it any more. Ebay spanked me and said that it is not sellable on ebay due to the restrictions John Lee referred to. I still have that knife, as it is unsellable. All my friends are military, and have the same knife....

John could have explained the rules on the knife and asked if the prospective buyer is police or military and can back it up, but it was clear on the website, even if it sucks.

Also, I absorb all the opinions i solicit constructively. The more heated the better, as they tend to be based on more experience than my own. And if I do something to my rig that is rediculous, please, please God, send me someone that will tell me, so I don't get my rig or family in trouble while on the trail.
How much for the knife?

Rob
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have concluded that there is a very high correlation between defender ownership and limited distribution knife collection, based on the recent PM's I have received. The knife is currently on it's way to a new owner!
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

could this thread get any better? yes...benchmade automatic knife gets sold (without restrictions)..heh
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
could this thread get any better? yes...benchmade automatic knife gets sold (without restrictions)..heh

Pick one up at the largest gun show in the US. Twice a year in Tulsa. Wanamacher or Wanamaker, I forget how it's spelled.

You know....land of the free, home of the brave.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Damn, I carry a Benchmade automatic as well......
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
vpod
Vaun Podlogar
D110 NAS 4.6

benchmade

me to, auto and otf...
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

add me to that list
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

There is quite a number of ex/current military people in the off-road communities so its not surprising to have so many people who have these little toys here and there.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Chris,
One of my best friends is a Major in the Texas guard. He lives in Austin. He hasn't seen or ridden in my D yet. If you want, I can link you up for contacts like this. He's been to Moab with me in my Jeep days, and we've been to Costa Rica together. Like minded guy.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Chris,
One of my best friends is a Major in the Texas guard. He lives in Austin. He hasn't seen or ridden in my D yet. If you want, I can link you up for contacts like this. He's been to Moab with me in my Jeep days, and we've been to Costa Rica together. Like minded guy.
Cool Mark. If he's a Rover enthusiast, lets try to get him to come out to our monthly meeting.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
expedition