Expedition Exchange - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Cones are a convenience. With my long Koni shocks, the rear springs will unseat during extreme articulation, and have to be reseated by jacking up the truck and pushing them back in place. If you want huge articulation and don't want to manually reseat your springs, cones will automatically guide the springs back into position. Simply a convenience. The matter of degree of articulation however is a matter of designing the truck to expected conditions...

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Damn it. Why would you listen to somebody that sells bolt on? Anyway, I had cones in the back and loved it not b/c it looked good, it was function trust me. I'll tell you why. In the 03 rally in Moab I was the only one that was able to go through the golden crack unlocked, why? b/c I had cones in the rear. Also, I used to wheel with locked D90's and was able to go everywhere they did and sometimes I made it look easier b/c I had cones in the rear (Buck please keep your nasty comments to yourself) and they were retained. Then I locked my D90 and want with retainers thinking just like you but guess what it sucked. The 90 was lifting tires left and right and just wasn't stable. I've seen people with cones front and rear that made fun of locked retained 90's on the trails. Granted on side slopes a retained 90 feels more stable but as far as roll over not really much difference. I ran coil overs in the back, and talk about lose rear end (again keep it to yourself Buck) and yes my 90 would lean like no body's business (ask Hippert) but it would never go over. Use common sense and you won't go over and the comment about cones causing roll over I call bs.

Keep your cones, and don't listen to anybody. Learn how to drive your rig and that's it. This is what people fail to see, it's not the equipment that sucks it's the driver, so if the EE gang hates it then they need to know how to drive. Simple

P.S. When the cones came out there were use to create traction not looks. The idea was a soiled front end for stability and flexy rear end for traction.
Nasty comments! Me? Never! BTW: I thought you loved your loose rear-end!

edit: And I agree that cones do not make your vehicle any less stable. The vehicle falls on the spring the same as it would if the tire was off the ground and fell back to earth. The problem is, they just don't accomplish anything, thats all. But hey, to each his own rear-end.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:02 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Not all cones make noise...
Yes they do.. some just not as much as others but they all make noise. If you dont hear it, you're just used to the racket.

Follow-up Post:

I have yet to see a coned truck get through something an equally equiped non-coned truck go through so to me there is no benifit to running cones in the rear. Sure, Mike you may have 4 on the ground, but did it really matter when someone just went through the same spot on 3?

Dump the noise makers. Although I admit, I do like Mikes front cones. :P

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Yes they do.. some just not as much as others but they all make noise. If you dont hear it, you're just used to the racket.

Follow-up Post:

I have yet to see a coned truck get through something an equally equiped non-coned truck go through so to me there is no benifit to running cones in the rear. Sure, Mike you may have 4 on the ground, but did it really matter when someone just went through the same spot on 3?

Dump the noise makers. Although I admit, I do like Mikes front cones. :P
Really, mine don't.
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM
johnlee
John Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
I called EE today to ask a question about changing from Heavy Duty Old Man Emu in the rear of my 90 to medium duty. I explained to the guy that I had cones in the rear and he proceeded to tell me to get rid of my cones, that they were rediculous. Although honest, I didn't really appreciate his input on my modifications.
Shawn, I'm sorry if you were offended. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend you when I opined that cones are "rediculous" as you put. I was merely answering your question. You called me and asked for my opinion. I gave you my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, that is fine. Just don't call me ask for my opinion then. Did I call you and suddenly go on a tirade about cones? No. Did I spam email you and tell you my opinion about cones? No. Once again, you called me.

You also called me and asked for my opinion about the equipment on your "nine year project", even though you've never bought anything from EE and you're not now nor ever were an EE customer. You also called me and asked about the Old Man Emu springs you purchased from another vendor and he sent you the incorrect springs that cause the rear of your Defender to sit up like a hot rod. If my opinion is so worthless, then why did you call me and ask?

I am opinionated, that is certainly true. But if you ask me for my opinion I'm going to give you my opinion. I'm going to tell what you I honestly think, not what I think you want to hear. Don't get upset if my opinion doesn't jive with yours. Not every sees eye-to-eye on all subjects. People disagree. It's called reality. Just accept it.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Whoa, checking my address bar -- whew no, this is NOT DiscoWeb. Slap, slap! There, that's better.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Dear John,
Thank you for setting it all straight for me. I hope you learn something from all of the responses on this thread.

First of all, I called you to help me with a leveling problem I had with my Defender. I didn't ask you if you liked cones. You told me to get rid of them before even asking how I use my truck. "They are redicuous"- remember? There are a few people here who disagree, but some have your mindset. I think it is fair to say that they are "user applicable." Your opinion is "rediculous." Think before you speak.

Secondly, expert, cones don't have anything to do with the levelness of a truck. It was the springs I was asking about.

Third, I am a former customer of yours, I have bought from you before and just about everyone out there that sells Rover accessories. You were by far the rudest and most opinionated I have come across (yet). EVERYONE else has been more than helpful with my "nine year project." I am sure that there are a few other young companies out there that still have some things to learn about customer service as well, so don't feel bad. Maybe you could use this as a learning experience.

Do you need a list of businesses that have good cutomer service?
If so, send me a private message and I will send it to you.

I was going to be a repeat customer, until you gave me your "opinion." That's reality.
Actually, I found them locally cheaper. To quote your write up in Land Rover World, "...regardless of make, regardless of price." I guess all items purchased come with your opinionated seal of approval, which is at least worth an extra 10% markup. What a deal!

I will enjoy scraping off the expedition exchange sticker from my Land Rover. It is not fit for such a legacy.

Do everyone on this site a favor, don't attempt a reply to one up me, you have your opinions, I have mine.

I have been a Defender owner since 94 and I knew the answer to my own question, I just wanted to see if you are like everyone says. Do you wanna know something?-- You are!

Next time I am at the Robinson Helicopter factory in Torrance, I will stop by your shop and say hello, as long as you don't insult my outfitting again.

Shawn

97 D90 SW
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:12 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Shawn, I'm sorry if you were offended. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend you when I opined that cones are "rediculous" as you put. I was merely answering your question. You called me and asked for my opinion. I gave you my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, that is fine. Just don't call me ask for my opinion then. Did I call you and suddenly go on a tirade about cones? No. Did I spam email you and tell you my opinion about cones? No. Once again, you called me.

You also called me and asked for my opinion about the equipment on your "nine year project", even though you've never bought anything from EE and you're not now nor ever were an EE customer. You also called me and asked about the Old Man Emu springs you purchased from another vendor and he sent you the incorrect springs that cause the rear of your Defender to sit up like a hot rod. If my opinion is so worthless, then why did you call me and ask?

I am opinionated, that is certainly true. But if you ask me for my opinion I'm going to give you my opinion. I'm going to tell what you I honestly think, not what I think you want to hear. Don't get upset if my opinion doesn't jive with yours. Not every sees eye-to-eye on all subjects. People disagree. It's called reality. Just accept it.
Umm I disagree but I am my own reality. And I will accept nothing less.

John the trick is to disagree and convince them it was their own idea all along.

For instance " I have never run cones, what benfits have your seen? Do they seem unreasonably noisy? I have heard springs often come unseated, is that your experience? Does the extra articulation sometimes make you feel unstable at incline? So would you like to purchase my retainers with visa or mastercard?"

And in the tenth year his project came into its own and was the envy of all.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:19 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

this is better than a daytime soap and Jerry Springer put together.
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I think Pendy was teaching the last "How to be a salesman" course I had to listen to.
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Really, mine don't.
My front cones make zero noise! And the cones John sells are quiet also, they are tapered so the cone slides in nicly, not like the big clunkers I have in back. Oh and why would you want quiet cones anyway? I love them banging in and out it's great when everyone goes OH S*&% Mike you just broke something! Then I tell them it's the cones
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
I think Pendy was teaching the last "How to be a salesman" course I had to listen to.
Was that the one on basic cable at like, 4 am? I think I saw that one too.
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
My front cones make zero noise! And the cones John sells are quiet also, they are tapered so the cone slides in nicly, not like the big clunkers I have in back. Oh and why would you want quiet cones anyway? I love them banging in and out it's great when everyone goes OH S*&% Mike you just broke something! Then I tell them it's the cones
You are mistaken. That noise usually IS from breaking something...

But you are good at ignoring.

Or maybe that's Jimmy...

I'm so confused.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Dear John,
Thank you for setting it all straight for me. I hope you learn something from all of the responses on this thread.

First of all, I called you to help me with a leveling problem I had with my Defender. I didn't ask you if you liked cones. You told me to get rid of them before even asking how I use my truck. "They are redicuous"- remember? There are a few people here who disagree, but some have your mindset. I think it is fair to say that they are "user applicable." Your opinion is "rediculous." Think before you speak.

Secondly, expert, cones don't have anything to do with the levelness of a truck. It was the springs I was asking about.

Third, I am a former customer of yours, I have bought from you before and just about everyone out there that sells Rover accessories. You were by far the rudest and most opinionated I have come across (yet). EVERYONE else has been more than helpful with my "nine year project." I am sure that there are a few other young companies out there that still have some things to learn about customer service as well, so don't feel bad. Maybe you could use this as a learning experience.

Do you need a list of businesses that have good cutomer service?
If so, send me a private message and I will send it to you.

I was going to be a repeat customer, until you gave me your "opinion." That's reality.
Actually, I found them locally cheaper. To quote your write up in Land Rover World, "...regardless of make, regardless of price." I guess all items purchased come with your opinionated seal of approval, which is at least worth an extra 10% markup. What a deal!

I will enjoy scraping off the expedition exchange sticker from my Land Rover. It is not fit for such a legacy.

Do everyone on this site a favor, don't attempt a reply to one up me, you have your opinions, I have mine.

I have been a Defender owner since 94 and I knew the answer to my own question, I just wanted to see if you are like everyone says. Do you wanna know something?-- You are!

Next time I am at the Robinson Helicopter factory in Torrance, I will stop by your shop and say hello, as long as you don't insult my outfitting again.

Shawn
WTF? Your an idiot. You call another vendor to find out why the springs you didn't purchase from them to begin with aren't working for you? Then you have the audacity to post about how offended you are because someone gave you an honest unsolicitged opinion? Priceless.

The customer service comment is hilarious. How is it customer service? You didn't buy the springs from them so how are you a customer? Your not. Your lucky they entertained your query instead of politely telling you to speak with the vendor who sold you the parts. If your going to discuss custumer service, why not bitch about how the original vendor sent you the wrong springs to begin with? But no, your more pissed about an honest unsolicited opinion rather than presenting the whole side of the story to begin with. Sounds like you need to actually learn what customer service is to begin with prior to accusing EE of having poor service.

Oh and your paltry 10% discount sounds really worth it. A vendor who sent the wrong springs, the time invested in putting them on and now taking them off, and returning them to the vendor.

So have someone change your diaper and wipe your ass and bitch about it somewhere else.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Guys, let's please not let this thread degenerate into a shouting match. One of the nice things about this forum is that it contains opinions from many experienced people, which I, for one, enjoy reading; including those with which I do not readily agree. When someone's opinion doesn't match with yours, merely voice an alternative thought and what experiences led you to come up with your opinoin and let it go at that - without the personal sniping. There is just no need for it. Some of us don't like to watch Jerry Springer...

As I heard once about someone, "Yes, he's frequently wrong, but he's seldom in doubt."
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Can't we all just get along! LOL

If you have a beef with someone take care of it off the forum. So far EE didn't do anything wrong but give some of there own advice. If you don't like what he had to say too bad, you called him and asked. If you don't like their prices or anything they do then don't do business with them, plane and simple.

Let me ask this, if you asked a question on the forum and I told you something you don't agree with are you going to call everyone and say that I'm an idiot? I doubt it, I think you'll just disagree with me and move on.

You said it yourself everyone does what they want with their rover and has their opinions, so if John runs a business does that take his right to have an opinion away? Sure he could be a better sales person and say things differently but thats not his style.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhitaker
Guys, let's please not let this thread degenerate into a shouting match. One of the nice things about this forum is that it contains opinions from many experienced people, which I, for one, enjoy reading; including those with which I do not readily agree. When someone's opinion doesn't match with yours, merely voice an alternative thought and what experiences led you to come up with your opinoin and let it go at that - without the personal sniping. There is just no need for it. Some of us don't like to watch Jerry Springer...

As I heard once about someone, "Yes, he's frequently wrong, but he's seldom in doubt."
So we all stand idly by when someone engages in character assassination? That is what this post is about. Plain and simple. It got off on a tangent when folks opined about cones vs. no cones.

You can always not just read it and hope that the precedent does not continue.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Can't we all just get along! LOL

Let me ask this, if you asked a question on the forum and I told you something you don't agree with are you going to call everyone and say that I'm an idiot?
That's a tuff question
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I searched for idiot and found 52 threads with it in there...
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Your comments don't even collaborate with what really happened.
I think you may need to re-read the post before giving a "paltry" little opinion. For now, I will just let the issue die quietly, just like my interest in doing business with EE.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
expedition