Expedition Exchange - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yeah that issue was covered in another thread by the man himself, Chris Laws.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland90
Could you folks give me a rating for Expedition Exchange?

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/

Are they customer friendly?

Do they "down speak" to you...have run into that a few times especially the "ever so cool" expiditioners in California.

They're located near me and I was making a special trip to view their fancy gadgets...but don't wan't the attitude...if you know what I mean.

I'll give EE a 10/10. Here's a short/recent story (out of a few) as to why:

Moab - Nat Rally 2008
2/3rds across the country in my truck from MA.

First day I arrive, a stainless flex line inexplicably bursts while pulling my truck off the trailer (okay, maybe I was fooling around on the trailer). This puts me in a bit of a bind. I don't have a spare. I have a 3 inch lift and a stock unit won't fit with a lift and 3 link front end. I begin calling everyone I know at the rally. Nobody has one (Keith of Rovertraks tells me he'll ask around thankfully - see postlude). I go to all of the various parts stores downtown and cobble together a solution that I really don't want to put into service on any road, let alone a trail.

The rally starts the next day. I'm pissed really for being so stupid but glad it happened in the parking lot rather than on the trail of course. i resign myself to ride along the next day.

While at the Napa, I call EE. In the back of my mind, I "believe" I bought the flex lines from them 4-5 years ago. I call and get John (Ho and crew are already in Moab). We chat about the flex line, why it may have burst (no apparent chafing on the front arm, may have just been a surge and weak point in the bend of the line,etc). I asked John to overnight a line to me after we talked about why this may have happened, etc. It is late in the day in CA. John recognized the urgency, says I'll send you a new line and we'll work it out after so I can make it to Fedex in time.

John overnights a new line, no question, no CC, to a Moab campground. It was right around 6pm in CA if I recall. No easy task to fedex something that late in the day.

He calls me the next afternoon to check in. After he did some homework, he found that I did buy the lines from them (old style lines). And, while I offered and was happy to pay for replacement lines, he was going to replace the lines under warranty. Not just the single flex line that failed. But all three as he states they may be "suspect". And he would send the remaining two lines to my house. I sent EE the failed line for examination just to be sure it wasn't an error of mine (i.e. chafing on the suspension). Brake lines fail, and I never had any expectation John would comp me for the lines. I was happy to pony up the $$ just to get back on the trail.

Anyway, this basically saved the first couple days of a two week wheeling trip and my first time in Utah.

Postlude - I also have to thank Keith from Rovertracks who tracked down a used spare EE stainless line from one of his buddies, which allowed me to wheel the next day while I waited for the updated line to come in from EE.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

John and Ho are first-class guys. The reason some people have decided to hate them is because, if you bring your vehicle in to their shop to show it off, and they see a modification they think is stupid, they won't say, "Gee, that's an interesting modification." They'll say, "Wow, that's stupid."

Same thing goes if you call and talk about doing something stupid to your truck. You're perfectly welcome to hit back with all the logic or venom at your disposal, but you'd better have your arguments in perfect order, because most of the time they're right. And even if they aren't, they're lawyers and can probably out-argue you.

They do have a fairly draconian policy for getting on their bulletin board - I think you have to buy something first. But, hey - it's their board.

The EE website has the best descriptions of its products of any site I've ever seen. Everything is top-quality, and they ship really quickly. It's a good place to shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Earth
The EE website has the best descriptions of its products of any site
That is a fact.
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I ordered about $2k worth of parts from them a few months ago and their prices were competitive and I had zero issues. So FWIW I'd give them a 10/10 and would go back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

10/10. Good guys and very helpful.

Try them. If you don't like the experience, you don't have to buy from them.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Nadir_E
Nadir Elfarra
94 NAS D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Ive bought some stuff from them, they've always been nice and have been a part of this community for a long while. I can generally find everything they have on their site for less. I am also trying to reduce my carbon foot-print, shipping springs or chopsticks across the USA doesn't make sense. They eat gourmet food on the trail, Im drinking cheap beer eating PB&J and Vienna. If I need lights there's Susquehanna in PA, if I need Rockware I call Rockware, if I need steering I call RT if I need parts I call RN or George. If I need camping stuff I call Mgear or see my local outfitter. I really like their website, one of the best in the business. There are a plenty of other places to get all the stuff they sell.
So you're into a small carbon footprint but are telling this guy to drive 85 miles round trip (he said he was near EE which is in Torrance) to go to Eddie's shop in Lake Forest instead? Sorry, that's not very low-carbon-footprint advice, is it?

Chris - the whole concern of - "will they be nice to me" question seems strange. Are you going there to buy something you've researched and deemed you need and are willing to buy at their price, or are you going in hopes of striking up a friendship? If you're going there for advice and are worried it's not going to match your hopes/expectations you always have the option to say, "Thanks but no thanks" and go on your merry way. Seems like you've already figured this out though.

I know both vendors and would rate them each at 10/10 on customer service based on personal experience and many years of patronage. I've had thousands of dollars worth of work done on my stock D2 (when I had it) and my D90 at Eddie's shop - starting when he first left Land Rover Pasadena MANY years ago - and I've referred business to him since. Similarly, I've bought tons of stuff from John and Ho, refered new business to them, and will continue to do so. As noted above, they make a point of educating themselves (saving you the time) about the products they choose to sell and they very generously share that knowledge on their website, via e-mail, and over the phone when you call. They have never steered me wrong and have stood behind everything they've sold me - excellent customer service, every time.

Regarding the allegations of racism or anything remotely like that - total BS. Stinks of character assassination to me.

fwiw,
-N

edited for spelling
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just an FYI guys, if your commentary is inflammatory and baiting, I will edit it. I think this thread has a variety of civilly proffered opinions about EE, and it wouldn't be reasonable to simply lock or delete it, but this isn't Pirate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Just an FYI guys, if your commentary is inflammatory and baiting, I will edit it. I think this thread has a variety of civilly proffered opinions about EE, and it wouldn't be reasonable to simply lock or delete it, but this isn't Pirate.
I think your editing sucks.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks for your input.

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
So you're into a small carbon footprint but are telling this guy to drive 85 miles round trip (he said he was near EE which is in Torrance) to go to Eddie's shop in Lake Forest instead? Sorry, that's not very low-carbon-footprint advice, is it?

Chris - the whole concern of - "will they be nice to me" question seems strange. Are you going there to buy something you've researched and deemed you need and are willing to buy at their price, or are you going in hopes of striking up a friendship? If you're going there for advice and are worried it's not going to match your hopes/expectations you always have the option to say, "Thanks but no thanks" and go on your merry way. Seems like you've already figured this out though.

I know both vendors and would rate them each at 10/10 on customer service based on personal experience and many years of patronage. I've had thousands of dollars worth of work done on my stock D2 (when I had it) and my D90 at Eddie's shop - starting when he first left Land Rover Pasadena MANY years ago - and I've referred business to him since. Similarly, I've bought tons of stuff from John and Ho, refered new business to them, and will continue to do so. As noted above, they make a point of educating themselves (saving you the time) about the products they choose to sell and they very generously share that knowledge on their website, via e-mail, and over the phone when you call. They have never steered me wrong and have stood behind everything they've sold me - excellent customer service, every time.

Regarding the allegations of racism or anything remotely like that - total BS. Stinks of character assassination to me.

fwiw,
-N

edited for spelling
N,

Not all the following is directed to you, however I felt it necesarry that this forums fanatics don't think I'm a pussy who needs his hand held while I shop for bolt ons and fancy Elephant wheel covers (hideous by the way...I'de rather have Yosemite Sam saying "Back Off!")

My intention was not one of "will they be nice to me"...I am ***king tired of ego's! Simply said.

To achieve my objective, I will have to spend upwards of $10K on upgrades for my rig...but I want someone who will appreciate my dollar in this economy. Not some ****ing *rick/s that thinks he/they know it all and expect you to spend $10K on their super *itc**n s*it! or your a knob bobber!

I don't need to be candi-assed...(I pay my attorneys for that)...I simply want to be appreciated for doing business somewhere...does that make sense in this economy? It certainly does to me.

I am not precluded from doing business with EE. Their products are what I am interested in. And EE is local. 2 Very Large Thumbs Up!!!

After I continue to read the 3 pages of forum feedback...it's still mixed.

Most of the posts think EE is solid...WITH AN ATTITUDE! I don't have a problem with attitudes...I just stay away from the bad ones.

Rovers North, I have learned from this forum post, sends products to some overseas whore house for knockin off good, solid made American or Limey products...I have supported RN for most of my buys. I now have a change of heart...

• EE's owners a Former Attorney (1 HUGE strike against them...they're worse than Realtors) who tells you that your "stupid". He/they either have have a great sense of humor or thier pricks at heart. Now, are they pricks I can do business with...that's up to me!
All this post has done for me is helped me...on a multitude of levels...understand who I will or will not be doing business with in the near future.

I ask questions on this forum...some stupid, some really stupid...but what the *uc*...I always learn something.

I have advanced degrees in Aerospace Engineering but I'm a Realtor (and my Mother is turning over in her grave) who writes books on dealing with todays economy...(talk about someone with an ego)...I just want to spend my money supporting the "right" group of "good" individuals. This economy will allow the proverbial "cream to rise" and the better businesses will survive...I just want to support the "cream."

If my question/s spur/s on people thoughts...then it was successful...at least I think.

Best,

Chris
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Back by popular demand.

Old March 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I went into EE today. John held my arms, while Ho punched me in the gut. Both told me my truck was super gay and then they told me to not only leave the shop but the state. Actually I did go today and picked up a few things. I usually deal with Ho but John helped me today. He even complimented my watch. What is the world coming to.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

LOL. This thread only gets better.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thickening of skin

Do I stand accused of character assasination? When I only use my wit and sarcasm to help thicken a little skin around here?

Hear Ye! Consider the shortness of life with every breath you take. And try to enjoy it. The reality is everyone here exsists at the other end of my keyboard. Why bother to summon Thor's hammer only to be smashed?

John and Ho at EE may bring an attitude to their business atmosphere. But a combination of agressive keystrokes on my part may stop the flow of blood in your veins. Show kindness to your loved ones and strangers alike with each passing day.

Character JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Sensei has spoken!

I'm not worthy...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
But a combination of agressive keystrokes on my part may stop the flow of blood in your veins.

Character JP
One of the best sentences ever on D-90.
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
classic

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
expedition