Ex-MOD 110 Virginia Titling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 18th, 2016, 08:30 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Ex-MOD 110 Virginia Titling

So I bought another Tithonus... I know I know.. But something didn't feel right after I parted with my old one..

I went to the DMV with all the paperwork that i need but they told me that the MOD654 form doesn't count as a title for the truck... Which I don't understand since I used it last time.. All they would give me is a non negotiable title..

Does anyone in Virginia have any experience with this and would be willing to give me some advice?

Thanks!

Pablo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2881259581.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	142724  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Don't know about Virginia. But you can register it in Vermont and then use the VT title to transfer to VA. A bit of a drive though.
Old February 19th, 2016, 07:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
Don't know about Virginia. But you can register it in Vermont and then use the VT title to transfer to VA. A bit of a drive though.
Wouldn't you be paying sales tax on it twice then? Once when you register in VT, and then I know VA will want their money when you show up there.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Good question. In our case we didn't because we have an address in VT, do the second registration was just us "moving" as opposed to selling the truck. I have no idea how it would work if you actually transferred ownership twice.
Old February 19th, 2016, 07:21 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wouldn't you be paying sales tax on it twice then? Once when you register in VT, and then I know VA will want their money when you show up there.
You should only have to pay the differential in rate if VA is higher. I say should because you know how things tend to go at DMV's.

The doc you had wasn't a title. There are no UK docs that meet the definition of title. They are registrations in the eyes of the state. You should be able to prove proof of purchase with the registration and bill of sale and VA will issue a title on that basis. The process is done in Richmond via mail. Takes a few weeks iirc.

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You should have gone to a different location. The requirement isn"t a
title as many countries don't do titles. the requirement is a foreign registration.
DMV clerks in any state are lemmings.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Matt_110
Matt

Had a similar issue in Fredericksburg VA where they didn't want to recognize the V5. Try a different DMV or do the soccer mom thing and demand to speak to someone that knows what they're talking about.
Old February 19th, 2016, 07:52 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
There is an express location in Sterling which never has a line and you sit down with the attendant. A little unusual but the folks there are more intelligent.

Old February 19th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Keep going back, being extremely nice, polite and complementary on their efforts and asking to see the next level of supervisor. I had a similar problem and it took me half a dozen visits but got it done. And I was always polite and smiling in the face of their incompetence.
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:28 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
You should only have to pay the differential in rate if VA is higher. I say should because you know how things tend to go at DMV's.

The doc you had wasn't a title. There are no UK docs that meet the definition of title. They are registrations in the eyes of the state. You should be able to prove proof of purchase with the registration and bill of sale and VA will issue a title on that basis. The process is done in Richmond via mail. Takes a few weeks iirc.
Some States they will just let you transfer the title/reg if you have owned it for a certain period of time without paying the differential of sales tax, VA may not do that at all, but it is worth it to research. CT does this, but you are dealing with DMV here, it doesn't matter what the rules say, anything could happen.
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:50 AM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Should I do the non negotiable while not giving them my MOD form or the least amount of papers and then just send all the paperwork to the Richmond office?
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
You just have to be a polite dog with a bone. It can be done, lots of people have had it done, you have done it before (and politely tell them) you will keep coming back till it gets done. So let's do it today!
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:27 AM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

At the DMV now, the one in fair oaks is pretty empty.. Let's see if they're in a good mood
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I've used the full service in Arlington on 4 mile run drive successfully twice. The express location in Arlington doesn't have "The Book" they use to identify the necessary documents and what they look like.

Good luck!

Old February 19th, 2016, 01:21 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Keep going back, being extremely nice, polite and complementary on their efforts and asking to see the next level of supervisor. I had a similar problem and it took me half a dozen visits but got it done. And I was always polite and smiling in the face of their incompetence.
Ding ding ding ding.

This is exactly how it was for me. I didn't have any problems with the titling of my truck but I did have a lot of problems with the taxes. The Withams receipt was in pounds sterling and the Texas DMV had no idea what to do with that. Their response was that I would need to hire a translator to "translate" the dollar amounts. I balked and escalated to the facility manager but she wouldn't budge. Finally, I called the translator guy and he said it was ridiculous and offered to do the work for free. I was about to do that when I got a call back from the DMV manager. She talked to Austin and they said that I could bring in a printed page from Yahoo Finance quoting the GBP-USD rate and that would be sufficient.

/
/
/
/
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:24 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Ding ding ding ding.

This is exactly how it was for me. I didn't have any problems with the titling of my truck but I did have a lot of problems with the taxes. The Withams receipt was in pounds sterling and the Texas DMV had no idea what to do with that. Their response was that I would need to hire a translator to "translate" the dollar amounts. I balked and escalated to the facility manager but she wouldn't budge. Finally, I called the translator guy and he said it was ridiculous and offered to do the work for free. I was about to do that when I got a call back from the DMV manager. She talked to Austin and they said that I could bring in a printed page from Yahoo Finance quoting the GBP-USD rate and that would be sufficient.
On one of the customs entry forms, it does exactly this, it converts the sale price to USD on a specific date, which I believe is the day the ship sets sail, not 100% sure on the day though. With Connecticut I showed them the bill of sale then show them that customs form and that this was the "value in USD" and they had 0 qualms with that.
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
On one of the customs entry forms, it does exactly this, it converts the sale price to USD on a specific date, which I believe is the day the ship sets sail, not 100% sure on the day though. With Connecticut I showed them the bill of sale then show them that customs form and that this was the "value in USD" and they had 0 qualms with that.
I guess that's what you get when you do your own import. It was a pain in the ass and I'll never do it again. It's well worth a few grand to not spend the hours on the phone and two days at the DMV that I ended up spending.

/
/
/
/
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I guess that's what you get when you do your own import. It was a pain in the ass and I'll never do it again. It's well worth a few grand to not spend the hours on the phone and two days at the DMV that I ended up spending.
CBP 7501 is the form, I had the exact opposite feeling after importing, just a bit of coordinating and being willing to make a calculated risk.
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:32 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Got it registered and they sent the papers to HQ to verify them, should have a title soon, the woman asked me what the squiggly money sign was and I just converted it from squiggly to USD, but these people were MUCH more competent than the Tysons DMV.
Old February 19th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Excellent!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat