Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 25th, 2014, 04:28 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Everybody's so happy to see me.

Every time I'm out in my rover, I feel like a nuisance. Not because I'm doing 55 in a 55 zone everyone else is doing 70 in (I just find a slow truck to follow), but because people are waving, taking pictures, slowing down to try and ask me questions... etc.

Today I nearly got wiped out as a guy in his old f150 was so enamored with the rover that he forgot he was pulling a 20 foot trailer and entered my lane while his passenger was twisted around backwards to take pictures.
Wasn't till I swerved to the shoulder he realized what he was doing.

Guys stopping at lights to say "what year is that?.... What is that?..." Does everyone get the same?

Mine's an EX-MOD... tire on the hood and all... so it does stand out. But east maryland is full of interesting cars. Its a rare day I don't see a Lamborghini on the way to work..or a kaiser... or a datsun 1600 roadster... Mission bbq trucks running up and down the road. A neighbor of mine has a 5 ton army wrecker he flies up and down the road with...
But man... I think I need to get off the road for safety's sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2014, 05:57 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yes have owned the marque for 30 years and it's always the same, although since building engine conversions, I'm passing most of the other people, not the other way around.

I did drive a Rover 4 cylinder diesel for a short while and after I pulled out on the interstate a car 5 miles back nearly ran into me from behind.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yup. Everyone is the same. Get used to it. ....ummmmm belay that. The wife is never "happy" to see me in a new Land Rover, nor looking at them online. Haha
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Most of the time when people ask me "what year is it?" I answer truthfully and tell them it is 2014.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Most of the time when people ask me "what year is it?" I answer truthfully and tell them it is 2014.

Gold
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

By the title I figured this was another Shayne thread.
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
By the title I figured this was another Shayne thread.
Hahahaa. Bet you were not alone!!
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
Every time I'm out in my rover, I feel like a nuisance. Not because I'm doing 55 in a 55 zone everyone else is doing 70 in (I just find a slow truck to follow), but because people are waving, taking pictures, slowing down to try and ask me questions... etc.

Today I nearly got wiped out as a guy in his old f150 was so enamored with the rover that he forgot he was pulling a 20 foot trailer and entered my lane while his passenger was twisted around backwards to take pictures.
Wasn't till I swerved to the shoulder he realized what he was doing.

Guys stopping at lights to say "what year is that?.... What is that?..." Does everyone get the same?

Mine's an EX-MOD... tire on the hood and all... so it does stand out. But east maryland is full of interesting cars. Its a rare day I don't see a Lamborghini on the way to work..or a kaiser... or a datsun 1600 roadster... Mission bbq trucks running up and down the road. A neighbor of mine has a 5 ton army wrecker he flies up and down the road with...
But man... I think I need to get off the road for safety's sake.
When I lived in Anne Arundel and drove my tdi 130 around I actually got pulled over twice by AA county police officers who just wanted to check out a defender 130. I went to Jaguar/Land Rover Annapolis a couple times to special order dealer only items and the entire upstairs staff came out and surrounded the truck while I was downstairs in the parts dept.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
When i lived in hawaii really... No one gave it a second look.

Here ive had my picture taken at least a dozen times since registering it last month or september w/e
Old November 25th, 2014, 09:27 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

You guys are freaking hilarious.... Why is everybody always picking on me..???..if I had feelings they'd be hurt..!!
And you guys think you get these sorts of reaction in your defenders... You should try driving a camel trophy defender with all the kit on it... And being as good looking as I am, as well as having an Aussie accent.. Sometimes I can't even be bothered going out for the commotion it causes...it all gets a bit tiring after a while...but it's the price I have to pay..
Old November 25th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
You guys are freaking hilarious.... Why is everybody always picking on me..???..if I had feelings they'd be hurt..!!
And you guys think you get these sorts of reaction in your defenders... You should try driving a camel trophy defender with all the kit on it... And being as good looking as I am, as well as having an Aussie accent.. Sometimes I can't even be bothered going out for the commotion it causes...it all gets a bit tiring after a while...but it's the price I have to pay..
I know when I even think about your magnificence...I am awestruck with silence...
Old November 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
This ^ funny.

They do get attention. I have noticed kids seem to like the Series. Lady's like the 90. I think they like the 110 as well but for the sexy 80's era stripes. And young teenagers like the Classic...yup, have received many a thumbs up from an afro wearing teenager when I am out driving it.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:22 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
No one ever notices mine , they just blend in so well .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old November 25th, 2014, 10:22 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Now we know why Shayne is selling his shop and moving.
You can't run a shop if you are the new star of your own upcoming TV show...
perhaps I should not have let the cat out...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
They are probably afraid to make eye contact with you. -Jeff
haha now That's funny !
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old December 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Yup. Everyone is the same. Get used to it. ....ummmmm belay that. The wife is never "happy" to see me in a new Land Rover, nor looking at them online. Haha
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:34 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

This past summer, I had a mini van drive past me (in the '53) with the sliding door open and the teenager taking video with their cell phone.

Criminy, it's just a little old red truck.

At the same time, it is kind of fun when I see the fancy pants guy in the SLR (no, he's not drivin' a flippin' camera) waving and getting all excited

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body