Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Everybody should check this out

Sorry for the attention getter....but,

Okay, I have been thinking alot about this and I think that it might be time to test the waters. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a 1.4 to 1 high range rover t-case. This is identical to the NAS ones but was developed for the 300 TDi. I have 4.56 in the diffs and at freeway speeds the RPM's are a little high and I have been considering going to the 1.2 t-case. This would reduce my RPM's at any given speed by about 429 RPM's. Sounds good to me. Of course, going the other way would increase your RPM's by the same amount. What I am proposing is finding someone to trade t-cases straight across. This would be perfect for anyone running 33in tires with stock gearing or someone that just wants to improve acceleration and 5 gear. The big difference is you are not making things weaker (like 4.10) and you are not shelling out $1000. Actually, it would be...FREE. Since I have a feeling this would be a really good option for a lot of people, I have a few things that would make it better for me. I want a t-case with around 40,000 miles on it or less. Mine has 40,000 and has been running royal purple gear oil for the last 2,000 or so. It is in perfect shape. I would also like it to be someone in southern Cali to make the swap really easy on both of us. If anyone is interested at all. Please e-mail me or just reply. Thanks to all!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:11 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

That's a great deal If I was living close to you I would've been all over this deal.

Good luck
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That is a great deal. That t case is aso great to run with 4.11 gears and 33"s or 35's. A perfect setup. THat is what I whave in my truck.
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Randy,

You taken that thing out yet?? What RPM are you at in fifth at 70? Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It is a good deal, I have the 1.4 case and it helps allot with 35s". Now 5th is very usable on the highway. Hey Dave what RPMs are you dunning in 5th now?
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question that is somewhat related.

What is a good RPM range?

I am assuming that higher RPM's = increase in wear and tear on the engine. My truck is stock, but I want to move up to 33" with a lift w/i the year. The real question then is whether 33's with stock gearing = more wear and tear on the engine.

Living in So Cal I feel like I won't be able to get by with the bigger tires w/o doing something. Reasoning: Automatic Trans, mountains, toll roads, and the 5 freeeway.

The truck is my DD, and I drive it about 24,000 miles/year, so I have been curious about this for some time. Maybe this is a good option instead of regearing.

Thanks,

Joe
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have a 300 TDi and right now at 70 MPH I am almost exactly at 3000 which is just about the max RPM I am comfortable keeping the engine at for long periods. I think that 2571 would be really good for 70. I still need to see if I am accurate at the speed my speedometer says but this seems like a good solution, plus I could go lower in gears also in the future some time like 4.77 or 4.88 maybe, just thinking out loud and trying to see if this is a good idea.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave, 3k is a bit on the high side, but I have a friend with a tdi Jetta that runs 3k at 75mph and he drives 80 - 90mph all the time. Aat 3k does it feel like it has more then enough power? Even on the uphills?

Joe, with an Auto you will most likely need to regear. If Dave M is around he can chime in as he runs 33s on his auto 90, I know he regeared but I don't know what it was like before he regeared. I know on a manual 3k and 75 is pretty good on a light 90 and average hills.
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It has plenty of power on the flats for sure at 3k but up hills I have to back off because of EGTs. If I don't it gets hot pretty quickly but can motor up most hills no problem.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

In fifth gear going about 60 my tach sits at 3000. I have 35's and 4.75 gears. I am going to get a new transfer case when I swap out my 5 speed. The speedo says I am going 95 and usually kicks in the crappy governor.
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

dave as you know i just got that other Tcase, so i might be interested. gimme a call after 7 tonight. (650) 7765730
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:54 PM
mudrover
Peter Miller
1990 RR
D-90 Source Vendor

Buckon37s, I have a 1.2 T-Case on the East Coast if you can't find anyone in your area who wants to do the swap. It came from a 97 Disco that had around 40,000 on it. I have put another 10,000 miles on it in my 90 Rangie, when I converted over to an LT230. Shipping would probably be around $50 through forward air. Let me know if you can't find anyone who wants to do it.

Rigless for now
1999.5 CC PSD - Tow Bus

If it looks like it works and it feels like it works...Then it works
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Rovertracks
Keith Kreutzer
Toooooo Many

I've got a good case in 1.2 If you are still looking Dave..

Lemme know

Keith
www.rovertracks.com
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks Kieth! I think I have a donor lined up but if it falls through I will call you, thanks to everybody too!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body