Every 94-95 D90 should have a Mallory unilite distributor n 1.4 ohm coil w no ballast - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Talking Every 94-95 D90 should have a Mallory unilite distributor n 1.4 ohm coil w no ballast

Do you think this is a bold statement? The reason why I think this should be done to all D90's is because after I put mine in along with that 1.4ohm ballast - less coil, the 90 idles smoother, has more power, and because theres no ignition module on the side, its probably way more reliable. And since spares e-spark modules are only around 40 bucks and can easily be changed just by taking off the distributor cap without moving the dizzy (unlike with the lucas dizzy u must rotate the dizzy to remove the ignition module and mess up the timing) there should be no good reason to not use one.

Also with this new Mallory 1.4 ohm coil I'm using, its straight up plug and play, no ballast to install, so far the coil has not run hot at all, and it has a lot of spark it seems, and best of all its epoxy filled with an aluminum heat sink instead of the lucas oil filled coil. I mean, with all these considerations, would you guys agree that every distributor managed D90 should now upgrade to the same distributor/coil pairing that I'm using? Other than affecting the originality/value, what could be the cons?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

will that work in a TD5?
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Td5s don't have coils as far as I know... so no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

As a semen recruit in basic training the MK sent me looking for spark plugs on the generator....
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Cons... I might be able to come up with a few. How much did it cost?
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Have you passed smog since installing it? I was told sometimes you can have issue when trying to pass the visual inspection with a mallory.
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

It was like 238 on amazon and the coil was like 78 bucks. Why would I not pass smog, it would seem I'd pass smog better than last time. haha

Robert Deniro
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Was it plug and chug? Seems you had some issues with getting your truck running recently what did you determine the cause. I have been thinking about one of these for my Classic as its the only thing I havent replaced in the engine ignition system..
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Show us pictures of your x-girlfriend again. I thought her shnoz was sexy.
And I love you too
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Was it plug and chug? Seems you had some issues with getting your truck running recently what did you determine the cause. I have been thinking about one of these for my Classic as its the only thing I havent replaced in the engine ignition system..
Check this out, one of the 3 NEW parts I bought for my ignition system was bad, either it was the coil, ignition module or the pick up. I could not get any spark even after changing these 3 parts, I'm sure it was the coil but here was my reasoning, what else was waiting to go out? And even after I changed the bad part, its still a flawed system and after being towed home the 4th time last year, I said fuck it and went to mallory route and I'm glad I did it because now it runs like tits, so smooth now. So I was actually really happy to dump that lucas dizzy and coil.

Robert Deniro
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps worth a shot if you are having ignition problems, but that seems a bit steep (and drastic) to just jump to for the average truck. Didn't you spend a lot of time getting this setup working too?
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

No not at all, Christmas day had it all fired up. It's actually a lot easier to work on because the Mallory is fundamentally smaller than the lucas dizzy, once you get it to TDC boom, plug up the vacuum, set base idle, then timing and ur done. You don't even have to tough the vacuum advance, tech and Mallory told me the advance is already set up at the factory for the rover motor, he was right, didn't even have to touch it, and even the coil only had 2 wires, so easy its digusting. The coil does hum and little but its a nice hum, like you have a new system living inside your D90 that won't let you down haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	167478_482413621316_620836316_6037500_4344791_n.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	34410  

Robert Deniro
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
No not at all, Christmas day had it all fired up. It's actually a lot easier to work on because the Mallory is fundamentally smaller than the lucas dizzy, once you get it to TDC boom, plug up the vacuum, set base idle, then timing and ur done. You don't even have to tough the vacuum advance, tech and Mallory told me the advance is already set up at the factory for the rover motor, he was right, didn't even have to touch it, and even the coil only had 2 wires, so easy its digusting. The coil does hum and little but its a nice hum, like you have a new system living inside your D90 that won't let you down haha
How loud or noticeable is this "hum" you hear from the coil?
Are you going to add the same setup to your D110 as well?
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Not even noticeable to be an issue, its just a tiny hum when the coils working, matter of fact its so quiet you can't even hear it when your inside the cab because the engine actually runs smoother more accurately because of the unilite technology so your actually going to hear other noises that the motor makes before you'll ever hear the coil. The only way your going to hear the coil is to be actually standing next to it. I mounted vertically with the spark plug lead pointing down right next to the alternator (next to the original coil mount) and so far its running nice and cool, cruised through the Rose Parade route last night, parked it behind the club, checked the coil (touched the panels and hood over it) and it was cool. With that said, I don't think I'm going to put this in the 110 because of its obvious rarity, I want it all original, didn't even want to put alloy fender protectors on. I rebiult the dizzy about 5 or 6 years ago (pulled the rotor and out came the shaft along with the counter weights and springs heh) with new ignition module base pick up and coil. its been fine, no problems. Plus I never drive it, sits in my yard but I will never sell it hehe.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp resized1.bmp (573.8 KB, 146 views)

Robert Deniro
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Hey Neil - dizzy pic looks good. Did you get any of the coil? If it looks clean (and it already sounds like it operates nicely), I might toss the stocker coil and ballast resistor.

I swapped my dizzy to Mallory a couple years ago. I don't want to jinx anything but I think I have it running proper now. It was stupid little stuff - first the ballast resistor cracked in half and I think that had an effect on the Mallory coil which took me a little while to figure out was faulty. Next I replaced the Unilite module with an E-Spark and it seemed to be working tops until I figured out the way I installed it the vacuum was rubbing a wire and it was shorting out.

I am not sure if my original ballas resitor and/or coil from Mallory were junk or the Unilite module caused some issues but it sound like going the route you did might be the most dialed way to go. Please keep us updated with the performance.
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yah I just uploaded a resized pic of the coil install, hope that helps. The wires you see below the coil are not the coil wires, they belong to the PIAA driving lights I installed years ago, all the wires from the coil (yellow and grey) are covered in plastic wire protector and zip tied away from any heat sources. I will keep updating the progress of this coil combination, but so far its been a week with no problems and I've been driving it every day AND I have 2 Polk amps just recently installed with a 15" kicker L7 sub vibrating the entire truck, no problems yet. Heres a link to the part number and price on that coil, comes in black as well. http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-30451-...3907894&sr=1-3

Robert Deniro
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Did you put up a part list (links) for all this stuff? Sorry if I missed it in previous threads. It sounds like you did a fair bit of research getting your setup dialed in.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeah I have a bunch of links posted but there is one quick thing, I had a small ping when going up the hill, just stick a 3/32 sized allen key into the vacuum advance hole and turn it counter clockwise all the way down, voila ping is now gone. Must be long winded takes like 8-10 revolutions. This fine gentleman wrote it up here, http://www.noroads.com/defender90/pr...stributor.html

Anyway, ran it all weekend through the rain here in LA, no problems at all.

Robert Deniro
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Yah I just uploaded a resized pic of the coil install, hope that helps. The wires you see below the coil are not the coil wires, they belong to the PIAA driving lights I installed years ago, all the wires from the coil (yellow and grey) are covered in plastic wire protector and zip tied away from any heat sources. I will keep updating the progress of this coil combination, but so far its been a week with no problems and I've been driving it every day AND I have 2 Polk amps just recently installed with a 15" kicker L7 sub vibrating the entire truck, no problems yet. Heres a link to the part number and price on that coil, comes in black as well. http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-30451-...3907894&sr=1-3

Thanks Neil. Looks good and clean. Not sure if I'll swap it right away but I'll keep an eye on mine and if the ballast resistor starts to crack again, I'll definitely go that route.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Who is this fine gentleman (noroads.com)? Is he a member here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 95, coil, d90, distributor