Europe Hotel Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Europe Hotel Suggestions

Since being back in the states I have been asked by many friends, relatives, etc hotels and such I stayed at. I wanted to make known some places I really enjoyed when traveling in Europe this past summer for 5 weeks and pass them on to everyone. I had some great experiences and I'm sure many people travel all over so hopefully this well give some good ideas/suggestions or possibly have others add places they really recommend. Granted I travelled on serious budget and did 5 weeks of travelling including air and train for $3000 so these are definately for the young or young at heart and budget minded

Paris- Hotel Eldorado in Montemarte, right near a metro station and awesome ambience and if you stay in the detached building you have a seat right in the middle of the outdoor Bistro.

Switzerland- Gimmelwald (above Interlaken)- one of my favorite places I've travelled to since it is authentic Switzerland. Try Esther's Guesthouse or for a real adventure sleep in straw in a real barn in the summer.

Zurich- Zic Zac Rock Hotel- right in the middle of the town and very reasonably priced with themed rooms for each band, I wanted the Lynyrd Skynyrd room but alas got ZZ Top.

Vienna- Pension Hargita- This was the cleanest place I have ever stayed period. It was $25 US per person a night and was hardly a 10 minute walk to the ring and all the sights.

Venice- Hotel Caneva- You can't stay in Venice proper for hardly anything under 200 or so but Hotel Caneva has an awesome location and while very basic the owner is very helpful and at night the nearby bars are well worth it for $8 liter and halfs of vino.

Cinque Terre- 1)Vernazza is my favorite town there and has the most character, our room was about $65 a night and was also super clean and the lady who runs it Daria is a sweetheart.
2) Monterosso- we stumbled into this one by luck meeting some guys while drinking and at Hotel Souvenir the family running it is like walking into an Italy families biggest argument, which is very funny.

Florence and Rome- For $10 a night you can sleep in a tent on a raised platform. Its roughing it but the campsite in Florence is 5 minutes from Uffizi and has the best view of the city with a great bar. Rome is a bit farther out requiring a bus ride but for 10 bucks you can't beat it.

Dubrovnik, Croatia- Take the ferry from Bari (sleep on deck and spend the money you save getting drunk so you can sleep on the hard wood deck which is more fun). When you get to the ferry terminal check out the ladies hocking rooms and pick the one thats closest and you like best. For $15 a night you can stay in a great pension/room.

Other experiences I suggest:
Salzburg- Augistiner Brewery- Monk run Austrian Beer Hall which is awesome in the summer at night
Budapest- Gundel Eterem- Some of the best food I've ever had and for $30 the most for sure
Vienna- Eat in the large market that is outdoors near the Opera House and buy standing room only tickets for the opera for 3 euros - its worth it just to see for like an hour and leave
Swiss- Go to Schilthorn which is 2nd highest peak in Europe- Hike down from Birg to Murren/Gimmelwald- we walked 8 miles in knee deep snow for about 5 hours but it was worth every minute. In Bern float the river, its cold as hell (50 degrees in late June). Coop is a great grocery store and beer is .40 a pint which is like half the price of natty light
Venice- hit the wine bars at night full of locals and drink till the old bar woman looks hot and you cant see that sweet mustache and enjoy the cichetta
Cinque Terre- Do the hike between the 5 towns along the water and jump in near Manarola where the trail winds to a small boat ramp/dock
Dubrovnik- Go to Lockrum island for $5 and get off and walk left to the nude beach, lots of old hairy male croatians ofcourse and walk till you can't anymore along the rocks the most gorgeous cove and jump the 30 ft cliff into the water. Also try not to stare at other dudes equipment.

Sorry for taking up so much space, and delete if needed. I just wanted to share some awesome things I experience while over there and hope others might do the same as I am going back in December for at least 2 weeks.

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hillbilly Raider

A not quite over the HILLBilly.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:06 PM
paul girard
check out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat