Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

I guess it depends on what sort of scene you are looking for.
Alcohol, good conversation.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

London: Boat trip up or down the Thames is a good way to see alot from the water. Screw the silly commentary....Take a cab or Bus tour for City streets etc. Must take in a play, Covent Garden, etc etc etc. Pubs/Gastro pubs. You must at least take one tube ride for the experience. Travel to Paris via the Channel Tunnel Train from Central London.

What ever you do PLAN, get international cell phone and data plans, etc

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:22 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I ate at some really great restaurants in Rome. The only one I can remember was called Giggetto. It was good. Apparently it might be touristy? Get artichokes and suppli for sure. It was fairly empty when I was there but that was the middle of winter. I'll try to find the food book I used because there was a cafe/take away joint in the northern part of Rome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
one more thing - in Paris...take a bus tour AT NIGHT....wonderful lighting, great photo ops. Oh and end everyday with a hot crepe with banana and nutella....plus syrup from street vendors.

My wife is in Provence right now...spending a week with my daughter - if you want any literature or anything?
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:32 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
What ever you do PLAN, get international cell phone and data plans, etc
This. Actually I decided that when I go back, I'll get prepaid sim cards with data. A month of card was like 10 pounds or less with plenty of minutes to contact whoever you are traveling with and plenty of data to get around town. I felt crippled not being able to use google maps to find where I was going.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post

This. Actually I decided that when I go back, I'll get prepaid sim cards with data. A month of card was like 10 pounds or less with plenty of minutes to contact whoever you are traveling with and plenty of data to get around town. I felt crippled not being able to use google maps to find where I was going.
I'm going to AT&T tomorrow to check on this. Can I buy a SIM card over there for my iPhone over there?
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I'm going to AT&T tomorrow to check on this. Can I buy a SIM card over there for my iPhone over there?
Depends on the phone, and how much demand there is. I had an iphone 5 on AT&T and the only people I could find that had the card was a mostly incompatible network. I think it was O2, but don't quote me on that.

I'd research which network is most likely to work, and pre-order the card if possible. You aren't likely to get LTE service with an AT&T phone in Europe. I think people say the verizon phones work a little better.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
They make 'sim cutters' for iPhone 5. You need to 'unlock' your iPhone... It's an online process on AT&T.com
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:45 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
They make 'sim cutters' for iPhone 5. You need to 'unlock' your iPhone... It's an online process on AT&T.com
You may have to call them if it's still under contract, but I've heard they have no problem doing it for people going to Europe, but that might just be people moving there.

They'll do it for free, online, no questions asked, for phones out of contract. I did it with my 4 before I sold it.

I've also heard the sim cutters to the super small sim in the 5 doesn't always work. The cutting it down to the just sort of small sim in the 4 usually works fine
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The Verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked, which was awesome. I walked into a Vodafone and bought a prepaid SIM card for about 30€ which was great for using google maps. I bought the SIM card in Ireland and barely used any of my data, but in France, I had roaming charges, so I burned through what I had pretty quickly.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:57 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I'm going to have to call later, my phone is still under contract so my online request was denied
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
All VERIZON Iphone 5 and 5s' (no idea on the 5c) come SIM unlocked out of the box, just an FYI. You'll need a microSIM for them.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:06 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Just landed, saw Windsor and a 90 while landing. Saw Emma Stone right after customs. Good trip so far.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I felt crippled not being able to use google maps to find where I was going.
Y'all realize you don't need cell service for GPS, right? Two separate functions. Just make sure the maps are loaded before leaving wifi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:46 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Y'all realize you don't need cell service for GPS, right? Two separate functions. Just make sure the maps are loaded before leaving wifi.
Not possible with the stuff built into iphone unless they've made a recent change. Even google maps didn't have a way to pre-download the maps. Maybe they do now.
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Not possible with the stuff built into iphone unless they've made a recent change. Even google maps didn't have a way to pre-download the maps. Maybe they do now.
Google maps worked fine for me in Paris without a cell signal. It lets you load a lot of the map, but not all of it. I would still show up on the map without a cell signal. Also, my iPhoto shows pictures on the map that I took in Stockholm when I had an iPhone 4 which wouldn't work on a GSM network.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I spent a year living in Manchester for university 2012/ 2013. I took my ATT (BB Torch at the time) phone over there, grabbed a Vodafone SIM from an airport vendor, plugged it in and was golden. Verizon phones WILL NOT be modifiable and you will roam. Europe uses SIM card style network, not the Verizon style network. Vodafone, Orange, whatever. You can get a cheap pay as you go card.
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I spent a year living in Manchester for university 2012/ 2013. I took my ATT (BB Torch at the time) phone over there, grabbed a Vodafone SIM from an airport vendor, plugged it in and was golden. Verizon phones WILL NOT be modifiable and you will roam. Europe uses SIM card style network, not the Verizon style network. Vodafone, Orange, whatever. You can get a cheap pay as you go card.
Verizon iPhones use a SIM card and will work with a European SIM card.
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Verizon iPhones use a SIM card and will work with a European SIM card.
X2.
You can check phonescoop.com to confirm. But all Verizon phones with LTE 4g have SIM cards and most of those also support European GSM bands (including all Verizon iPhones 5 and above). All you'd need to do is buy a local microSIM upon landing. Inquire about international data within Europe and the ability to top up when outside of your (new SIM'S) home network.
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yes it's possible, or my iPhone miraculously recently guided me all over Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan, and Korea without cell service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat