Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:35 AM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
Epoxy Garage Floor or Not

We are finishing our new house next week and have to decide what to do with the garage floor. It is a big 4-car - about 1,800 sqare feet, so it is a bit of a commitment. Everyone seems to recommend a 2-part epoxy floor, but I am wondering how it will hold up to things like brake cleaner, battery acid, and floor jacks. Anyone stained their concrete floors - maybe black - to hide oil spots? I am tempted to just leave it plain concrete, but I am sure the series will end up marking it's territory in there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 HOO
We are finishing our new house next week and have to decide what to do with the garage floor. It is a big 4-car - about 1,800 sqare feet, so it is a bit of a commitment. Everyone seems to recommend a 2-part epoxy floor, but I am wondering how it will hold up to things like brake cleaner, battery acid, and floor jacks. Anyone stained their concrete floors - maybe black - to hide oil spots? I am tempted to just leave it plain concrete, but I am sure the series will end up marking it's territory in there....
We had a little bit of an argument on that subject in an earlier thread about garages. I personally will never epoxy another floor. All three of my attempts using 2-part epoxies ended in my floor looking like shite after a few months. I was not surprised as I weld, plasma cut, drag heavy stuff, park hot tires, etc. The epoxy is good if you just park in your garage.

In future I will try colored concrete, stain, sealer, or just go bare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:36 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
The key is to clean the garage floor super well so the epoxy adheres correctly. There are cdrtain steps to follow for this Being this is a new slab you have the best bet of it working now Epoxy will hold up fine to chemicals. Stained concrete or polished concrete will stil absorb chemicals and have spots and discoloring if you spill stuff on it. Whateve you do dont get that paint from home depot. That crap is so thin. Get a good industrial epoxy andyoul be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Oil spots? Land Rover???
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 HOO View Post
I am tempted to just leave it plain concrete, but I am sure the series will end up marking it's territory in there....
Yes, do that. You'll drop a deuce when you find out how much it will cost to properly epoxy coat your floor. An alternative, if you MUST paint, is Durabak smooth.
I have a plain concrete floor and simply drop kitty litter on oil spots and clean with Simple Green. Not surprising that after a few spills the spots don't get scrubbed out any more.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Just wax-oil it.

Apply a good sealer, lots and lots of it. Nothing paint wise one or two part epoxy or otherwise will hold up to brake cleaner and the like. PROPERLY applied the epoxy will will work very well but you HAVE to clean up solvents as soon as they spill.

Industrial coatings that really work are scary expensive and the home depot stuff really is not worth it.

That all said i used a good one part paint on part of my shop floor and simply touch it up or recoat it every couple years. Good cleaning with a degreaser and coat over it again. Is it ideal, nope. But it always looks decent. The key with ANY coating is initial prep.
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith

Registry
Thanks for all the input. I have decided against the epoxy and am hoping to apply the Ashford formula (http://www.ashfordformula.com/). A few years ago I built a 40,000 square foot shop for International Trucks (big rigs). The owner was very stressed about oil stains on their floor. We applied a metal shake hardener then the Ashford Formula to the whole slab. It significantly increases the strength of the top of the slab and seals it too. A nice side-effect is that the longer the slab wears, the darker/shinier it gets. I went by and visited a few months ago - about five years after we finished the building - the slab was shining and dark with shiny metal flakes from the hardener. Couldn't see an oil stain anywhere. Hopefully the rep will sell direct to me and let me apply it. It works on old slabs and new - I will see how it goes.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I used the PPC floor epoxy. It has been down since July of 2004 and has not peeled, chipped, or come loose in anyway. It's not cheap, about $6.00sqft back then, but it's good stuff. Very easy to clean; I just use a little Purple Power mixed with water and a mop. Grease, oil, etc.. wipe right up.

Another option to look at is acid staining. Check out Increte Systems, you can do some super cool stuff on a floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	44430  
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I am a fan of Race Deck. I have the Free-Flow in my garage and all of the snow/salt/etc. falls through the tile, drains out the front of the garage and keeps my garage dry in the winter.

http://www.racedeck.com/freeflow.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	44431  

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:52 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith

Registry
Those are some good looking floors - Trouble is - with 1800 square feet at $6.00 - I would have a $10k+ floor that is still temporary. From what I have read, even the best epoxy won't hold up to brake fluid and bits of molten metal from welding/cutting. Saw a thing where Jay Leno had the tile floors - looked sharp, just expensive for that much space and I don't know how it would do with hot metal. I ordered the Ashford this morning and will be here on Wed. The ashford floors only get better with age and the cost for all the material delivered to my door was less than $300. I can apply myself and it is ready for trafic within a couple hours. Surface is over 30% harder within something like an hour and keeps hardening/sealing for months. I am sold - we'll see how it goes.
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:19 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Josh, please do let us know how it goes. Was this some kind of special deal for the Ashford formula then? What would it have cost the average person?
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm not sure if anyone's ever seen polished concrete, but it actually looks pretty cool. I had a friend that did it in his slab basement, no reason it couldn't be done in a garage.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
ucoatit
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
ucoatit
Fail, 2x on my shop floors.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Fail, 2x on my shop floors.
did you etch the floors with muriatic first ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
did you etch the floors with muriatic first ?
x2

My old house had it ( 6 years ) with the Urock ant slippery, I have parked, snowmobiles, Motorcycles , dirt bikes ( and you know those ain't clean ) and the Italian version of Rovers ( the ones that always leak ) and my floor always looked NEW
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Ill probably be using VCT on my floor when get the chance next year
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I put Ucoatit down 4 years ago. I am not getting tire lift and it cleans up real nice, but I think it scratches to easily. The floor area where my wife brings in the garbage cans is scratched up. The scratches appear to be only in the clear top coat however.
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I once built a hot tub cover on a ucoatit floor and then stained it with nothing underneath. Fucking stain got everywhere so I mopped it up with paint thinner, had absolutely zero effect on the floor coating. Hot tires, brake fluid, refrigerant oil, grinding/welding sparks, a one time exxon valdez type ATF spill, no matter what I tried it held up... until I did a good old fashion brake stand in the shop one new years I thought it was totally impervious. Even then I was left with a divot in the concrete so I doubt anything would have held up. Check out the instructions if you don't follow them you cant expect the stuff to work.
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM
98 HOO
Josh Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Josh, please do let us know how it goes. Was this some kind of special deal for the Ashford formula then? What would it have cost the average person?
Nice comparison of Ashford versus epoxy - http://www.jbaindia.com/comparison.html

I called our local sales rep and she placed the order - I had two 5 gallon pails delivered to me the next day. I don't think it was any special deal for me because I am a contractor - assuming they sell to anyone. I put it down last night - pressure washed the floor first, then followed the directions. The floor doesn't look much different - the stuff takes about 90 days to complete the reaction - says maybe even up to a year. The more traffic you have on it, the more shine it gets. We'll see.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat