EPA forcing 15% Ethanol in Gasoline? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
It does reek havoc, especially as Chris mentioned if stored or used infrequently. Time to buy stock in fuel stabilizer.

Old April 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Originally Posted by HeloBubba View Post
It's not specifically about ethanol, but more about the power of big agra-companies and mass food production, "King Corn" is a good documentary about the corn scam, and the ethanol stuff applies. A great learn, and also very watchable. (If you watch this, especially if you have kids, you'll get sucked into similar documentaries. "Food Inc", "Supersize Me", the "Fast Food Nation" book, etc.) There was one specifically about ethanol and it's hype I saw a few years ago, but I can't remember the name.
I'll have to look for some of these. We saw "Food Inc" and my wife stopped eating meat for a few weeks I think the rest of the family has seen "Supersize Me" as well. let me know if you remember the name of the ethanol one.

Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door
Monsanto is pure evil as far as I'm concerned. If left to their devices they will control our food supply. I wouldn't be surprised if they had something to do with the ethanol requirements as well.
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593
Charles the truth is that the blending mandate would be higher, but the major constraint on production is the lack of infrastructure to transport and blend the ethanol with gasoline. You cannot put ethanol in a pipeline, it has to be shipped by truck. Yes the blending mandate went up, but the other interesting bit of recent news is that the tariff on importation of ethanol from Brazil was also lifted, and I can assure that the Brazilians will be investing in the infrasructure needed to get their (sugar) ethanol to our pumps. Our supply chain currently originates from the center of the country, not coastal ports, so you can imagine the scale of the investment needed. Unlikely to impact domestic production initially, but as more comes online and begins to compete with US produced ethanol the blending mandate will again likey go up. Ethanol in Brazil is a totally different story....
97 D90 SW
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
97 SW
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Where can you find the truth about this stuff?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat