EPA/DOT Compliance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
EPA/DOT Compliance?

I saw this over on the LRX board, would this mean that with those releases and compliance you could register each in whatever state you wished or wuold there still be state laws for emissions, safety, etc to deal with?

If so, please call us. Skytop Rover Co. recently became registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as a ''Registered Importer''. As such, we can import and convert any non-DOT complaint vehicle. However, the only type of vehicle we intend to convert are Defender 90's and 110's, fitted with 20 0 and 300 Tdi engines. Why? Because if you have ever driven a Tdi powered Land Rover, you will know just how great an engine it is. Plus, with fuel almost certain to hit $4 a gallon within a year, many of our customers have been inquiring about diesel Rovers, for both the fuel economy, and for the chance to produce their own Bio Diesel to use as fuel. We expect, in the next few months, to have several Defenders at our shop, with prices beginning at $29,500 for a basic D110. These vehicles will be COMPLETELY DOT and EPA compliant, which means they will be fitted with a full internal/external roll cage, rear bumper protection, and all of the various other DOT items required. They will also be certified with EPA, and have all of the proper labeling. Remember, if you are in the market for a Defender, be aware of the benefits of purchasing a vehicle that is 100% compliant. Contact us for full details, we would be happy to discuss converting a Defender for you. Our number is 215-426-2748, you can read more about the process on our website, at www.skytoprover.com Thanks!

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
I believe this just applies with the Federal standards, and not the state. Most likely, by being EPA and DOT compliant, it will also be State compliant, but would still have to go through the state emissions testings and possibly an examination by somebody to verify the non-standard application.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
I thought to have an engine be EPA compliant it had to be tested?
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I thought to have an engine be EPA compliant it had to be tested?
Not the case, they will test anything, but you are the one paying 1500 for each test. They are also testing the standard for the model year, so a truck in good shape seems likely to pass. At least someone is going about it the right way.
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017
What if your state has no emissions testing or inspections?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat