Engineering student - finished product - pet seat - any comments...? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
Bert2098
Jack H
2009/TDCI 90

Engineering student - finished product - pet seat - any comments...?

Last September, I added a post explaining that I needed some ideas for an 'unavailable' accessory, which I could design and develop as part of my studies.
My chosen product was a removable pet seat suitable for a dog around 10kg, which could fit in between the rear seats of a Defender TDCI 90.
Please have a look at the attached photos and video showing the (almost completed) product. I just need to add the foam and vinyl finish.
Please let me know what you think.. if you want one, let me know, and I'll list on eBay!
Many thanks.
Jack (trying to post video without much success)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pet seat.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	114925  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 12:15 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Engineering student - finished product - pet seat - any comments...?

I wish it was only in the passenger area. What really rubs me the wrong way, is when the pet is in the driver's lap!

Please tell me that's not a disaster waiting to happen.
Defenderless, for now!
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
You'd think heading to an engineering degree, you'd have figured out how to make something right side up....

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2015, 12:25 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
You'd think heading to an engineering degree, you'd have figured out how to make something right side up....

lol

But anyway, it's a nice thought, but it presumes the pet will lie in said device. Not sure how many small medium dogs will automatically do that. Does it have safety harness mounts?? And there are pet seat/car harnesses out there that ensure pet safety, and I think that would be key over the comfort you seem to have focussed on.

Let's see the finished product (right side up preferably) and we can chime in with a little more feedback.

Good luck
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:32 PM
Bert2098
Jack H
2009/TDCI 90

Thanks for the comments so far. What I'm going to do is raise the height of the front panel to avoid any possibility of the dog going forward. I'm having real problems adding a video or correctly orientated picture (after 2 hours I gave up - any ideas where I'm going wrong apart from very bad wifi?!
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:56 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Hey Jack

So I must have missed your first post, but I read it now. Just to clarify, you're wanting to be an engineering student right? You haven't yet started your studies, as you're in Form 6 right? Just wanted to clarify as the forum is mostly American and may not realize that you're still in secondary school (equivalent to High School senior or so), which may lower the huge expectations we might have if you were a 20 something kid already in University.
That being said, it's an interesting idea, but you need some real convincing this will work. There are dog cages out there that prevent dogs from going forward and are combined with safety harness on a padded seat. You've just forced the poor mongrel to have to lie down on this small surface. You assume it won't get up and want to sit on the human scented more comfortable looking other 2 seats, near windows and breeze.
I think you need to think through those real dog issues, maybe with a test dog (which I also presume you have). As a former dog trainer, trust me when I say they don't just sit in the middle of seats when you drive, even in the best of hands. Unless there is a tranquilizer port you haven't told us about that shoots up from the bottom when the dog lies down.
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2098 View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. What I'm going to do is raise the height of the front panel to avoid any possibility of the dog going forward. I'm having real problems adding a video or correctly orientated picture (after 2 hours I gave up - any ideas where I'm going wrong apart from very bad wifi?!
There are size limitations (shown on the upload page) for images. For video, put it on you tube or something and paste the link to it here.
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Being an engineering student, can you rotate the picture so its the right way up?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:23 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Being an engineering student, can you rotate the picture so its the right way up?
Lmao
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Love the Starbucks caption Charles... would be so funny if an employee actually read that out loud
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Now I get it. This would make a great drinks cooler.....wifi, computer...platform

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:11 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2098 View Post
I just need to add the foam and vinyl finish.
Please let me know what you think.. if you want one, let me know, and I'll list on eBay!
I genuinely applaud you being innovative, but at the same time I don't think your product is safe. Was safety not a part of your assignments requirements? Adding foam and vinyl will make it look nice but it will still be unsafe. The animal will be sitting unrestrained right in front of the windscreen, there isn't even a seat to block him from being propelled thru. You mention: "What I'm going to do is raise the height of the front panel to avoid any possibility of the dog going forward." Simply raising the height of the front panel will not avoid this.

Did you research any crash testing that has already been done on other types of animal restraints? (google - 'dog crash test') If you list it on ebay, I am curious to see how many of these you sell. In my opinion, your product as is would appeal to people who have a smaller dog, that cannot easily move from the back to the front of the vehicle. Your product gives a dog a platform to step on, reducing the damage of claws on upholstery.

I agree with Chris. You may want to market it as something else and when the person installs it they may come to see their pooch likes using it as a chair/bridge. Just my opinion and good luck.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Bert2098
Jack H
2009/TDCI 90

Hello.
You may remember a few weeks ago I posted my 'almost completed' dog seat. I had quite a bit of feedback from members who thought it was unsafe, and that the dog would be propelled forward in event of sharp braking.
I've made some modifications which included raising the front panel, and bolting a retaining strap (to which a lead can be attached) to the underside.
I've also covered it in foam and vinyl. It still folds up to be stored behind the front seats when not in use.
I've tried to attach some pictures. Again, I would be really grateful for your comments.
Thanks.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	116100  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine