Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Engineering/Physics question

How is this for nerdy. I usually pack my truck to the hilt with gear for the September Bowhunting season and I recently added a M416 military trailer and I was thinkin. Does it make a difference if I put say 500lbs in a trailer and pull it or put 500lbs in the back of the truck? Will the truck think it is lighter because it is easier to pull rather than carry. Of course the variable is that I also added a 600lb trailer to mix.

My theory is that it feels like a lighter load when I put stuff in a wheelbarrow and push it around than in a back pack and carry it on my person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

It feels lighter in a wheelbarrow because a portion of the weight is taken on the wheel as opposed to all on your back.

The engine and drive train still have to pull an extra 500 pounds. With a trailer it'll have to pull the extra 600 on top of that and it won't make a difference to the truck if it's in it or behind it, aside from the tongue weight pushing down on the rear end. The truck will obviously "feel" lighter with the stuff in a trailer, kind of like the wheelbarrow, but when you start to push that 500 pounds in the wheelbarrow up a steep hill all of the sudden you can feel it.
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What do you mean by "will the truck think its lighter?"

If you mean "get better fuel mileage" then the answer is no, because your motor has to shift 1100 extra pounds instead of 500.

If you mean "handle better" because the weight isn't in the truck itself, then the answer is also no, because the handling of a truck with a trailer is not comparable to the handling of an uncoupled vehicle.

Your wheelbarrow theory does not relate at all. When you use a wheelbarrow, you are saving yourself the energy required to support a load (letting the wheel do it), and using mechanical advantage of the handles (levers) to control the load. You still have to expend calories to move the load around - push your wheelbarrow up a hill if you want to end your experiment faster.

Your truck expends no calories supporting a load and the motor has to pull whatever weight you attach to your truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Anything under about 1200lbs in the back of a land rover is fine. Beyond that, start looking for a trailer. I am not sure how you would get to 1200lbs back there as there is not much space, but ....
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I also think you need to take into consideration that the trailer tounge weight is behind the axle to the amount of pressure can be more than the load that is evenly distributed above the axle. Its up to the driver to decide the point when to shift the load to a trailer. At 500lbs I think you are better off loading the truck. But if you shoot an Elk thats a whole different story.
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The primary differences are

1. You have more room in the truck
2. You can leave the trailer parked with your crap in it and drive around without it if needed

Old September 1st, 2010, 04:07 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

sounds like youre confusing your truck with your legs. engines dont have a sense of fatigue they just have limits.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
sounds like youre confusing your truck with your legs. engines dont have a sense of fatigue they just have limits.
You need to drive my Range Rover
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You'll also have the added rolling resistance the third set of wheels add
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

to the initial post- simple physics says it all makes a difference. Does the difference have an effect? Always. Will it affect milage, handling, wear and tear, etc? Yes. Positive or negative is the question. But the biggie is the Rover doesn't think at all- thank goodness. They behave like they do now, imagine if they could think- THAT would make the biggest incalcuable difference.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
You need to drive my Range Rover

lol....

------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2010 01:21 PM ------

i had a contractor making nice wine racks using terra cotta pipe.

we were talking with the customer and and he went on to say they were better for the wine too because they stayed colder than the air around them...

i smirked...

then he took her hand and put it on the wood table, then the pipe and said "see, its colder"

at about that point i walked out of the room laughing.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
After some real world testing last weekend this is what I found out.

The trailer and gear is light enough that it does not really make any difference as you can not really tell it is even back there. Of course going up hill I can tell a difference as the trailer wants to roll backwards, so going through the Eisenhower Tunnel is an intesting experience. Having the trailer is more convenient as I used to have to take the passenger seat out so the Easy-Up canopy would fit in my truck. Now I don't have to drive around for a month without a passenger seat. And best of all we found out that a quartered elk fits very nicely in the trailer!!
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
After some real world testing last weekend this is what I found out.

The trailer and gear is light enough that it does not really make any difference as you can not really tell it is even back there. Of course going up hill I can tell a difference as the trailer wants to roll backwards, so going through the Eisenhower Tunnel is an intesting experience. Having the trailer is more convenient as I used to have to take the passenger seat out so the Easy-Up canopy would fit in my truck. Now I don't have to drive around for a month without a passenger seat. And best of all we found out that a quartered elk fits very nicely in the trailer!!

ELK? Got Pics....
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
This is the aftermath, the pictures in the field are on my friends camera, I will have to get them soon. It took us 7 years for one of us to get an elk with a bow. Unguided Bowhunts on public land is supposed to be the hardest way to get an Elk. I have two more weekends to get out so hopefully I can get one too. We found a new spot last year that seems to be better for Elk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	30784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	30785  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007 (Small).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	30786  
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Elk tenderloin-the ultimate "its whats for dinner" scenario.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
This is the aftermath, the pictures in the field are on my friends camera, I will have to get them soon. It took us 7 years for one of us to get an elk with a bow. Unguided Bowhunts on public land is supposed to be the hardest way to get an Elk. I have two more weekends to get out so hopefully I can get one too. We found a new spot last year that seems to be better for Elk.

Very nice, I hunted outside of Durango a few years ago, missed a 6x6 with the bow. Will be hunting in Montana this year for elk and Mule deer (defender not going on that trip). Will be taking it on the NJ bear hunt, last time we had the hunt I hauled one out with my rusty Taco....

I can't wait to load a bear up in the back of the Defender this fall....NJ does not allow ATV's but they do allow trucks on state land....
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Funny side story, we were at the meat processor in Kremmling picking up the elk and this guy and his son were dropping off two nice Buck Mule Deer. We were talking to them about hunting and all of a sudden my friend says to the man "I think I know you" He said "you do?' , and it turns out it the guy was Mike Timlin a former pitcher for the Red Sox. Pretty nice guy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine