Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I hear Stanford has a good program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

I have a MS in mechanical engineering from GT.

My take of their undergrad program is that it is very competitive with some classes designed to "thin the herd" (i.e., very difficult and designed to encourage a few to quit/transfer, etc). I imagine most top tier engineering schools would have something similar (especially larger public schools).

Someone mentioned that GT has few attractive women. This is well known and absolutely true. However, the campus is in the middle of Atlanta with numerous other colleges/universities in the area. I don't think there is a problem there. Atlanta can be a fun town.

Assuming he wants to stay in the US, I would absolutely go to an Ivy league school. Personally, Cornell would be my last choice among the Ivy league schools. I did 7 years in Connecticut - no way in hell I would move to f'ing Ithaca for 4 years.

As others said, an engineering degree from any school is valuable these days, especially if it comes from a top-tier/reputable school (Ivy, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford, GT, etc).

Ultimately, the answer is anywhere but Clemson.
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:30 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002 View Post
This is well know and absolutely true.
Spoken like a true engineer....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002 View Post
Ultimately, the answer is anywhere but Clemson.
Hey now. I see that Gamecock avatar. I will concede that Clemson's engineering program has slipped compared to GT's. Now down to #31 (it was 14-16 back in my day), but overall, Clemson remains a top 20 public university today. Nothing to sneeze at: http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediare...ic-university/
And for the coeds, we have them in SPADES. It was hard to find time to study...
http://www.popcrunch.com/hottest-stu...on-university/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2015, 05:20 PM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

Congrats on two great options. Having spent a great deal of time at Cornell (engineering under grad and post grad) I have no regrets and think it was a wonderful experience. Beautiful campus, good size student population (large than other ivys), and so many options academically, socially, and otherwise. Engineering is one of 7 colleges, so there are ample opportunities to pursue side interests/other disciplines. The engineering school is brutally competitive, so there could be some "I'm now only average" shock. I regularly had exams where the average grade was below 60 (becomes B-). Career services works with kids early and makes sure that they find great jobs. Most classmates had jobs lines up by November, and in all areas: Manufacturing, tech, consulting, finance, etc.

Ithaca can be brutally cold but also tremendously beautiful in the spring summer and fall.
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:25 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Your answer is Cornell. The rest of this is noise.

(emoticon: biased)
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Thanks fellas...he is changing over to Cornell, but has to go waitlist.

As an aside - he is off to serve our country in one way or another. He managed to get a Navy ROTC 4yr scholarship and had listed GT first, with Cornell second. They gave him GT. So now he is applying to be waitlisted to Cornell.

We are waiting to hear from the Naval Academy (April) and truly/dearly hopes he makes the cut for that instead.
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:08 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
We are waiting to hear from the Naval Academy (April) and truly/dearly hopes he makes the cut for that instead.
Just saw this thread and wondered why USNA/USAFA('00) hadn't been mentioned! Interviewing high school seniors for senatorial nominations in December reminded me there are a whole bunch of great kids we don't often hear about in the news these days. Anyways... none of his options are bad- it's just a matter of where he'll thrive. Cheers Jay
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yeah Jay he got a nomination, but as you well know it takes a while to receive the appointment, if you get it at all. Personally, I would love to see him go through the American college experience and enjoy things as much as possible before going off to defend life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The Academy life rather tough, but he did Summer Session and absolutely excels in a disciplined environment.
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:35 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If he is going to do ROTC anyway, a MechEng degree from the Academy is no small thing.

I am biased to UC and CSU schools, UC Berkeley is a more common undergrad degree in the military than you might think.

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:39 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Is he going to apply for the Naval Nuclear Power Program?
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:44 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Colorado School of Mines!! Is no one a grad from there on the forum?? Currently working on my masters here. Not the most fun college, its nerdy to say the least, but you'll come out with a dang good job. My good friend graduate last year from Cornell with an Masters in Structural Eng, he enjoyed it there and spoke well of it.
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Is he going to apply for the Naval Nuclear Power Program?
That was his thought a while ago...funny enough they were excited because most go to Nuke Subs. But Matt said he wanted surface...they seemed excited about that.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:30 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

He'll have his summer cruises to go on both platforms. I've been in submarines for 22 years if he has any questions.

I have a Junior Officer that works for me right now that I talked to this morning about this topic. He has both an undergrad degree and a masters from MIT. He's getting out of the Navy after 8 years. His career so far:

-5 years at MIT (5 year undergrad plus graduate program)
-Signed up for NUPOC at his 29 months from graduation point (Paid E-6 pay, all active duty privileges, no drill)
-Nuclear power school, Prototype, Submarine School, for approx. 18 months
-Stationed on an SSN out of Hawaii for 3 years
-2 years shore duty in Connecticut

Lots of operational experience while on the boat. Lots of DoD experience with contractors while on shore duty. He said that during his interview process during his transition to civilian life he would tell the interviewers about his Navy experience. Then they would say, "You have a degree from MIT?" This did not match my gut feel on whether or not where he got his degree from would matter if he would be coming out of the Naval Nuclear Power Program. Bottom line - get the best schooling available, and if he hasn't been rejected by a school yet, he's not applying to enough schools.
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Most of the engineers I know went to Oregon State University and they all make very good money. But getting rich shouldn't be anyone's motivation when choosing a college. It's a great school located in beautiful wine country. It's seriously paradise. He won't want to leave.

Old February 15th, 2015, 10:03 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Most of the engineers I know went to Oregon State University and they all make very good money. But getting rich shouldn't be anyone's motivation when choosing a college. It's a great school located in beautiful wine country. It's seriously paradise. He won't want to leave.
My dad works at OSU so I wouldn't mind if you spent some coin there either... Go Beavs!

Old February 15th, 2015, 10:33 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
3rd Gen. Beaver myself! HP and CH2MHill in town as well. One of only a few full grant schools in the country with all three; Land, Sea, and Space! Did I mention we have our own nuclear reactor? Make friends with a nuclear engineer, and if you see them running... Try to keep up! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1211754172.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	113854  
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:18 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
3rd Gen. Beaver myself! HP and CH2MHill in town as well. One of only a few full grant schools with all three; Land, Sea, and Space! Did I mention we have our own nuclear reactor?
CH2MHill was a great company to work for while I was there. My aunt worked for them as well.
2000 DII (SOLD)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine