Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 11th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
No opinion on what engine makes the best transplant for someone else.

I would offer that I have never required a replacement tdi cyl head.

The tdi engines run quite cool so cracking the head on one takes quite a bit of effort. But if you managed to cook one without also destroying the bottom end, a complete 300 head bolts right on on to a 200.

200 tdi injectors can be rebuilt as many times as required but all they usually need is tips every 90k or so. Those parts are readily available. The whole injector is still available last I checked, which was December ie 45 days ago.

There seems to be some misinformation out there being perpetuated/commented on here by people who apparently have never even owned these engines or attempted to buy parts for them.

Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old February 11th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Budget dictates. For me, the 14CUX rover V8 set up is about perfect. I prefer manual trans which ups the price, but given rotted out disco I and RRCs are cheap, the cost with an auto is pretty low compared to other options. Just a lot of labor.

Of course, one tends to favor what one knows.

*not legal advice*
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
For all you GM homers out there those motors have their issues as well. Chevy AFM Oil Consumption Issues - ChevyTalk - FREE Restoration and Repair Help for your Chevrolet Good buddy of mine is getting a new motor from GM due to excessive oil consumption in his Suburban with 80K miles on it. The service advisor told him that GM has issues with those motors. As for the om617 125 hp dog, you can turn it into a transmission eating monster if you want to. Come on Dave I know you want too!
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - eBay.uk ad for Freelander.
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:43 AM
86 Defender 110 LS 5.3 In Progress
Originally Posted by kang2222 View Post
please where did you buy your engine and tranny at that price? i need it please
Another forum member Phoenix37 found them both for me. The motor was through Craigslist and the Trans was through Car-part.com. You just need to be patient and keep checking, especially with Car-part.com as the salvage yards update the site daily. Good Luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat