end of the h1 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

end of the h1

Well I just heard that there going to stop production of the h1 next month. The whole story on it is at http://www.amgeneral.com/corporate_news.php/nID/22. Just when they got things right with the alpha. It's almost sad . too bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

That's too bad, why the heck do they think they need to change the body style? The ones that are out there should hold their value.

What kind of mileage do they get? Guess it doesn't matter if you've got 150K to plunk down.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Never sold many anyways, I read somewhere else that they only sold around 12,000 in the civilian world total over the whole 14 year run. That's an AVERAGE of less than 1,000 per year, and most of them were probably back toward the beginning when they were in the 60-75k price range. At 150 grand, you're just not going to sell many trucks at all.

I honestly never saw the reasoning behind taking a tactical vehicle with a VERY spartan interior and definitely not the best drivability on the highway, and making it into a luxury vehicle. Sure it looks great and all, but man are they a pain in the ass to drive on the highway, or any place with narrow roads, or anywhere even remotely like a parking lot.

If they had kept the cost low, and done a modular utility design like the original Land Rovers as well as early CJ's had done, it would have sold a lot better. It would have done very well in that role, as that's what it was designed to do.... heavy off-highway work in rough terrain. The chassis and body were never made to spend its whole life in affluant suburbs with wealthy idiots behind the wheel.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

I think my brothers gets around 14-15 mpg at best but so does my defender. I'll take the 90 over the h1 any day driving on the road but there's a few places that my defender can't do as good as the hummer offroad... for now. The prices lately have gotten ridiculous but they are gonna get to be even more now for resale being that there are not any more. I'm not sure they actually turned the h1 into a luxury vehicle the price was high because it took alot of time and money to make them. It is cool to have two vehicles that won't be rolling through the dealerships anymore though.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

prices would plummet if civilians where able to buy the retired military versions, as they would be retro fitted with new interiors and sold for cheaper then a new vehicle.
but from what i understand the army can't sell them to civilians, i'm not sure why though.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

My dad and I looked at them in '96. We picked out a maroon wagon. I think it was around $75K. He called my mother to tell her he was buying it. She said she was glad he picked the wagon because all his sh*t would be waiting for him to pack into it when he got home.

Glad we went with the 90.

A buddy of mine from college had one and he said everything non military on it was unreliable. He dumped it and bought a Land Bruiser.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Military trucks are missing almost all the emissions equipment, no padded dash and a few other DOT mandated items for civilian ownership. So most military ones get their frames chopped in half and sold off for scrap/parts. It wouldn't cost TOO much to make them legal, but I think there are also some liability issues that are attached to them as well. Kinda the same thing with the M151's and why they are almost never seen in the Civilian world, except those are flip-over friendly to boot.

Some are available on the grey market, but be VERY careful with them as a good number of them have had the frames re-welded and there are also some pretty big title issues I've heard about since most of them were never given proper bills of sale either.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Actually there are a ton of guys that have the military ones or HMMV. They are pretty easy to get your hands on if you know the right people. We got one just a few months ago for real cheap and are gonna make it the true off-road truck to where it can drive through lakes and stuff. There are a few things that have to be done and I'm not entirely sure what they are, my brother is the one that knows and he say's it won't be very hard at all. I think ours is an '86 with like 4,000 miles on it. It will take some work to get it back together being that the engine/transmision and all that minor stuff is in the bed. It'll be real tight when we get it running though.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Chris V

GM killed the H1. So much of the info released to the public was skewed. My '97 6.5TD H1 wagon at around 7,800 lbs (with fuel and driver and gear) gets around 12 to 13 mpg. While towing my 101 on the car trailer I get around 11 to 12 mpg. GM bought the name and marketing rights to the name "Hummer" to milk the brand name and create a new high end line of "off road" trucks. After creating the H2 (which all the greenies and eco Nazis have earmarked as the Americas main fuel hog) and the H3, and sold the name to market everything from Cologne to battery chargers, GM decides that the H2 is what Americans see as the image of Hummer and they can now kill production of the only real Hummer (H1) Which is the only Hummer which is not a GM product (except for the engine). I'm not sure what AMG will do with the 2007 and 2008 H1 Alpha's that have been designed and tested (really great advances in geared hubs and the D-max engine and Allison trans so many great things are rumored to be in the mix. So GM looking for a scape goat to get the greenies off their back severs the only real linniage it has to the original Hummer. It was kind of a sad day to see the icon killed off, but as happened with the Defender I'm sure the value of the existing Hummer (H1's) will stop declining or in some case increase. One of the Hummer dealers has already reported to have raised all the price on their current stock of 2006 Alphas by $10,000. each ( when they are gone there will be no replacements) I have the same feeling now I had back in '96 when LRNA announced it was releasing it's most advanced and last Defenders to the US (the '97) I did everything in my powers to manipulated funds to get one of the last ones, Now AMG finally puts a real serious diesel engine in the H1 , Helical cut gears in the hubs, the worlds best auto box, even redesigns the interior with more creature comforts ....and GM kills it off. And where the hell am I going to get $150,000. to get one ;-)

Sad day every time I get a attached to a rig some idiot decides to discontinue it :
My FJ-40
My CJ7
My-D90
and now the H1
(My MGA and the 101 FC stopped production before I owned them ;-)
Dam , don't buy what Chris has, it is sure to be discontinued .
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasDefender
I think my brothers gets around 14-15 mpg at best but so does my defender.
I thought the H1 had the 6.5L diesel in it? Doesn't that get better milage than 14-15 or is at the cost of GVW?

DJ
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:07 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Yea it does have the 6.5 but like you said GVW takes it's toll. We're starting to make bio diesel so mpg won't be that big of a problem any more and it will give me a reason to drop a diesel in the 90.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

It could be worse...they could have "remodled" it and come out with some H2-shaped Suburban and still called it the H1. Just ask G Wagon enthusiasts how it feels when Mercedes introduces a "new" G500 that looks like an M Class' retarded older brother.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat