Electric Heater - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Does adding an aux jacket water heater take away from the warm up period on the truck. I would assume you would not want to engage this when waiting for the truck to warm up.

With the Webasto it uses a flame to heat the water then once the water comes up to temp it turns the fans on inside the vehicle (with the engine off, and keys not in ignition). The idea with Webasto is that the engine gets the heat first then the passenger?

If you are just looking for heat first thing in the morning your best bet is to get a block heater, and a cabin heater that runs off of 110 so when you go out to the truck in the am it is nice and toasty...That is what we did in Alaska.... where it got so cold we had to drive very slowly the first few hundred yards so the tires got round again.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Why would anybody try to make sure something worked correctly first before upgrading it? Who does that?
Cheap people like me.
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Do you think this one would work also?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mojave-heat...lterid=c2448j1
This is the one you want... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102/ Would love to see a proper test and comparison versus a PROPERLY setup and running stock heater.

I will probably do one in the future and I will provide a scientifically based comparison with proper testing of airflow and heat output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'll replace the thermostat just in case. It's a cheap enough part. There is something wrong right, if the needle only goes up to 30-40% as opposed to 50% (dead middle of gauge)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Change the thermostat. It should get right up to normal temperature and not drop below. The intercooler has no affect on engie cooling.
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'll replace the thermostat just in case. It's a cheap enough part. There is something wrong right, if the needle only goes up to 30-40% as opposed to 50% (dead middle of gauge)?
Plenty of Rovers sit right around 40-45% or right under mid point...fairly certain it's absolutely normal (at least I recall reading that it's absolutely normal). I know mine sits right around there about 80% of the time.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is this normal then? I have been driving for about an hour when this pic was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	32964  
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is hard to judge as there are different sendrs and gauges through the years. They are not necessarily very accurate. You need a "real" gauge and sender that tell you an actual temperature to determine anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
heater