Registry
ECR on the NEW D-90's

Check this out.... www.eastcoastrover.com/BLOG.html
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I wonder how old that is. Last year a rep from LRNA was saying different things during a presentation about how it was coming back in the next few years.

Oh well, for some reason, the future Defender seems to be the huge global secret that apparently once anyone confirms or denies that it will be coming out again, the Earth will stop spinning or at least thats the way Land Rover acts about it. Meanwhile Toyota shows off a concept truck 3 years ago, saw the amount of interest in it, went to production with it, and now the truck is in the showrooms.

The point is, no one you ask has the same story even from inside the organization. Tons of people know "high level" people working in the inside and not one of them tell the same tale.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:08 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Good thoughts CVC. I was looking on Ebay last night. People are selling the bone stock, fugly FJ for $39-46K.

Retarded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:08 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I wonder how old that is. Last year a rep from LRNA was saying differant things during a presentation about how it was coming back in the next few years.

Oh well, for some reason, the future Defender seems to be the huge global secret that apparently once anyone confirms of denies that it will be coming out again, the Earth will stop spinning or at least thats the way Land Rover acts about it. Meanwhile Toyota shows off a concept truck 3 years ago, saw the amount of interest in it, went to production with it, and now the truck is in the showrooms.

The point is, no one you ask has the same story even from inside the organization. Tons of people know people working in the inside and none of them tell the same tale.
It's a shame toyota decided to put that concept out, i drive by a toyota dealership and see them parked out there every morning and shed a tear... they should have stayed closer to the original fj40 design... throwing on the same grill does not give it the heritage...
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What better way to further your own business than to denounce any hope of a new defender?

I think it's classic.

But I agree, no defender is likely for our shores again. Maybe somone like Santana can make the move...
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM
noee
Michael Noe
'67 Series IIa

LR might very well be purposely throwing FUD out to the market for the obvious reasons: paralysis, keep the public talking and interested, regardless of what they plan on doing. IMO, it would play to their advantage as the enthusiast crowd has given up, what with the LR3 and RRS leading the new direction. I won't even mention the FL.

The one card they have left to play with the enthusiast crowd is the Defender. It epitomizes the LR heritage in the wake of these newer vehicles and they might believe (wrongly so IMO), that the enthusiast will hold out and see what happens with the Defender before moving on. Hell, you might even be persuaded into buying into the "new" LR. Heh?

Just a thought....
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:56 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
What better way to further your own business than to denounce any hope of a new defender?

I think it's classic.

I agree David, this is true no matter what else is said about the "hope" of Defenders comming back.
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Good thoughts CVC. I was looking on Ebay last night. People are selling the bone stock, fugly FJ for $39-46K.

Retarded.
Its just a matter of personal tastes. I always like the FJs but then again, I am sure there are Toyota, Jeep, whatever owners out there that think its insane that D90s go for that much too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
It's a shame toyota decided to put that concept out, i drive by a toyota dealership and see them parked out there every morning and shed a tear... they should have stayed closer to the original fj40 design... throwing on the same grill does not give it the heritage...
I think its kind of cool, and at least Toyota listened to the feedback they got on the truck and then ran with it.

What do we get? A 110 thats already been around for 14+ years, thats still in production in the rest of the world, re-badged as a CKD, 3 years ago. Every LR related enthusiast medium blazed up about it and what came out of it... 4 more versions of a Range Rover so insanely priced, the majority of the enthusiasts that stoke the fires for the brand wont even get near.

No my friends, if another version of the Defender ever comes here, it will be the LR3 with some space age looking thing bolted to the frame that reminds you somewhat of our beloved D90s/110s.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Its just a matter of personal tastes. I always like the FJs but then again, I am sure there are Toyota, Jeep, whatever owners out there that think its insane that D90s go for that much too.

I think its kind of cool, and at least Toyota listened to the feedback they got on the truck and then ran with it.

What do we get? A 110 thats already been around for 14+ years, thats still in production in the rest of the world, re-badged as a CKD, 3 years ago. Every LR related enthusiast medium blazed up about it and what came out of it... 4 more versions of a Range Rover so insanely priced, the majority of the enthusiasts that stoke the fires for the brand wont even get near.

No my friends, if another version of the Defender ever comes here, it will be the LR3 with some space age looking thing bolted to the frame that reminds you somewhat of our beloved D90s/110s.

The more I see from Land Rover, the more I become a fan of NAS Defenders and the less I am a fan of Land Rover, for those reasons above.

I don't want an electronic gizmo for backcountry travel. I want something that I can look at, see if it's broke and see if I can find a way to limp back home if need be.
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

These are the reasons I think my next 4x4 will be something I build in my backyard, and not buy at a dealership.

I want to know how to fix all of it and not need some special tool etc. I'll build it off a Land Rover, and it will probably look a lot like a Defender...
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I like the new FJ. It drives like a dream, you can add a locker for $400, and aftermarket supprot is huge.

It's no D-90 but then again the new defender won't be a D-90 either.
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:45 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The difficulty in finding any coherent message from LR lies in the schizoprenic management over the last decade. Between monumental shifts in ownership strategy, financial woes, and parent company Ford's changing tacts the Premier Automotive Group (PAG) to which LR belongs, it is no wonder. The Defender represents a very difficult product and business case. Ordinarily, this truck would have gone the way of the Disco I, but government contracting concerns, branding debates, and lack of investment gave it a stay. Central planner types would prefer to see all lines share basic platforms, in effect, killing the Defender as we know it. European regs will also resolve much of this debate shortly.

My predicition, Land Rover will wake up in five to ten years with a terrible hangover. The brand will be lost in a sea of crossovers, with little to nothing particularly unique in the offering. Their platforms will share much Ford and Volvo, and little will connect the current vehicles to prior heritage. With nothing to stand on, LR will be forced towards more sharing; the brand simply doesn't sell enough vehicles to merit the development expense needed to compete with Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. A day of reckoning lies ahead.
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

I think that Land Rover is missing a big market by not re-introducing a new Defender that is as hard-core as the one we all know and love. Retro cars and suv's are huge right now as it rugged styling for trucks and suv's. If Ford/Land Rover was smart it seems they would be working on a Defender/Ford Bronco replacement that is rugged and a competitor against the new FJ, the new Jeep Commander, and the Hummer H2 and H3...

But i am not getting my hopes up. I am just glad that I have my D-90 and that there are enough places out there like RDS, Badger, and (although expensive) ECR to keep 90's running for years to come.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I don't know where you guys get your info from but I just put a deposite on a new D90 it should be here in one year. Now that being said all of your Defenders will hit the ground soon as far as pricing goes.
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:04 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
I don't know where you guys get your info from but I just put a deposite on a new D90 it should be here in one year. Now that being said all of your Defenders will hit the ground soon as far as pricing goes.
Quote:
I will there for sure with a new D
I know you're a man of your word. That being said, until your new one arrives, what "D" are you driving at this years Rally?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:22 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I can't believe nobody gave me shit about the new 90 comment

As of now it looks like I'll be in DII unless something changes. Are you up for a rally style racing? You'll be in the front this time
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:

As of now it looks like I'll be in DII unless something changes. Are you up for a rally style racing? You'll be in the front this time
Why don't you buy Jeff's truck? Might make an interesting addition to your "style"
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL I read your post after midnight, figured it was an april fools thing.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:

Been done before. Wasn't there a new TD5 spotted driven by someone from the RN staff?

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90, ecr