Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 11th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Shop for a used 4.2 Rover engine maybe for around $1500 to $2000, from the years that have the hot wire 14CUX -- '93 to '96 I think. The 4.2 was a higher HP engine than the 4.6. It's pretty much a plug and play into an existing 14CUX truck. Very reliable. Then later, when you need to do the heads or have some cash lying around, put a high performance cam in it. Should be very pleased.
Doug -

I was not aware that the 4.2 was a higher performing engine that the 4.6. All the opinions and information I could find about the relative merits of the Rover engines suggested that the 4.2 had a weaker lower end and still issues with the cross bolted main bearings. I was considering the 4.6 with the idea figuring out the best path to increase engine size or ability to rechip.

My thought process was that if my LWB with the 4.2 needs to be reworked, then I would migrate the 4.2 to the D-90 and put the 4.6 into the LWB. Conversely, if the D-90 3.9 was the first to need an engine replacement, then it would get the new engine and I would rework the 4.2 in the LWB as it is.

Can you provide sources that go into the details about the 4.2 versus 4.6 performance?

Thanks for your $0.02 and suggestion about the high performance cam. I am not looking to set a new land speed record in a Rover, but rather an upgrade path that makes sense while trying to maintain two of these mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

My son has the LWB 4.2 like yours. It is a terrific engine except for that annoying cam walk that can easily be fixed if the engine ever gets opened up.

Back in 2004, before I found my 5-litre, I got this in an email from Mike Green at WCB:

"in Stock form the 4.2L (1994) has more BHP than a 4.6L (1999).
The advertised BHP on 4.2L is 215/220, where as a 4.6L is 200.
The BIG advantage of 4.2 is that we don't have to modify or change anything to use it in your 110"

Doug W.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Many thanks for the information, Doug.

Rob enumerated all the changes that need to be completed from the 4.6 that ECR is selling. It is not a plug and play issue for sure. I have had great luck with the 4.2 in the LWB so far, and I hope that I could get the mileage on both engines in the odometer range he and Jack mentioned.

Too bad we do not have a WCR that offers similar work that ECR does at a monster discount. I would make the Southern California Land Rover experience much more fun.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Actually, have you talked to Eddie at West Coast Rovers in Irvine? He's done some engine upgrades for a few SCLR members with success. He's extremely competent. He might be able to find a used engine for you, or you could price a new short block install with him.

Doug W.
Old February 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

I have not visited WCR since Jim Newmann from The Rover Group helps out with the stuff I do not want to tackle in my home garage. I know that they do extensive engine retrofits and I have always been pleased with their work and customer service.

The trick with engine swaps/upgrades is trying to keep the labor component of the total expense down. I think maybe I should see if we can get Hans to move to San Diego.

Thanks again for the good feedback, and I will keep Eddie in mind going forward.
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LWB 4.2s were 200hp 251ft/lbs
4.6 GEMS were 225hp 284ft/lbs
Bosch were 222hp 300ft/lbs

The numbers are all over the place with the actual numbers for the trucks so these are approximate. The big difference is the torque from the longer stroke. A 4.6 is really a 4.5 and change and the 4.2 is closer to a 4.3. All this being said the 4.6 is a much better block, and there is really no downside to using one whereas a 4.2 is close to the outer edges of its performance in stock form. For my money a crower cam for $150, some new lifters, a 4.2 chip for $60, and a 4.6 short block will do all I need in any of my rovers.

Even if you do not feel like borrowing a cherry picker to swap the motor (easy to do and easy to work on the motors transfering everything over once it is out), as far as labor there is no reason that you cannot pull your own heads, do a valve job yourself and install them on the new motor and then tow it over and have them swap the long block in. Engine swaps are not hard on D90's. A weekend with two people is plenty of time for your first go at it. Even alone a weekend is plenty of time.

Ron
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Me? Move to San Diego? I'm trying to get to Colorado, but that's as far west as I'm willing to go.... though I may also end up in Cheyenne if my lastest job application gets me anywhere.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Me? Move to San Diego? I'm trying to get to Colorado, but that's as far west as I'm willing to go.... though I may also end up in Cheyenne if my lastest job application gets me anywhere.
Well, you certainly have good judgement as where to land then. I love going to Colorado and Wyoming for the trout fishing and outdoor experience. Perfect D-90 country as long as your heater works its butt off in the winter. I have driven through Cheyenne on the way to Saratoga to fish the North Platte and Miracle Mile, but I cannot say that I have spent too much time in Cheyenne.

Best of luck in your job pursuit and relocating with your D-90 in the Rockies.
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have considered many times taking the motor out of my 97 4.6, rebuilding it and dropping it into the 90. Seems like that would be a good move for anyone that was considering upgrading their engine. If you purchased a well maintained RR 4.6 Gems, you would have all the parts, chipset and etc. you would need. And you could part out the rest to the different LR boards and eBay.

Any thoughts?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ecr, v8