Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:27 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Ash,

It looks awesome. Very well executed. What did you do about the extensive compliment of idiot lights on the standard instrument cluster?
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:58 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Nice job on the dash gauge insert and cluster choice.
I enjoy seeing such innovation.

We had a LHD Puma Dash at one time and thought about doing something similar.
Also compared pictures of the LHD Puma Dash to the RHD Puma Dash and thought that it would be possible to reconfigure or modify a RHD Puma Dash to work in a LHD vehicle if the right work was done.
Anyone explore this first hand?
Thanks. I compared a LHD setup with the RHD one I'm using on my personal truck. The plastic dash itself appears to be universal in construction..it just looks like they throw it on a very rudimentary jig and route out the opening for the steering column on the appropriate side. You could re-use the evaporator and HVAC controls but the ducting and heater is all different, for obvious reasons. I think the biggest hurdle would be the harness, since the fuse panel is under the steering wheel and not centered up on the firewall.

I'm actually planning on stripping my harness down to control nothing but the HVAC and lighting on the truck. There are a lot of 10+ pin plugs that go unused on the fully dressed harness when you aren't tying into the TDCi and it's computers. From what I can see it's actually a surprisingly simple harness once you eliminate all of those components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Ash,

It looks awesome. Very well executed. What did you do about the extensive compliment of idiot lights on the standard instrument cluster?
Thanks! I ditch the entire circuit board from the factory cluster and use my own face plate in what's left of the housing, so all of the dummy lights are removed entirely. The Viewline series of gauges offers a warning light (the little red ! in the middle of the speedo), so I tie that into the feed for the check engine light on the LS harness.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:08 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Interesting point on the CEL. Were you able to preserve the OBDII system from the LS? Would simplify troubleshooting...
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Interesting point on the CEL. Were you able to preserve the OBDII system from the LS? Would simplify troubleshooting...
Absolutely. Most standalone LS harnesses give you an OBDII port, so there's one mounted under the passenger seat with the ECU and relay bank. On the 6.2 NAS 90 I'm currently building we've discussed running two OBD ports -- one for the CANbus gauge system, and another free as a diagnostic port.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:54 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I love that you point out the need for a winch, but then fit a junk winch. I think that alone speaks volumes about the build quality. Does it have a Terra Firma suspension lift as well?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:57 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Well said.

Man what a bunch of haters. Why would they contribute when people shred a build?
Since when is voicing a different opinion considered hate speech? I am not a fan of the LED light bars that are on every JK and chipped out F250 rollin' on 24's and lo profile tires these days. If that makes me a hater then so be it.

As for the 5 Q & A's I just assumed they were written tongue in cheek. Because if they truly think a tire has more grip simply because it is taller then that is sad for a company that specializes in a 4x4 vehicles.

But I think you knew how most enthusiasts on this forum would react to a Defender with all that Khan/Lee Press on Nail flair. Just sayin' brother.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:01 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I love that you point out the need for a winch, but then fit a junk winch. I think that alone speaks volumes about the build quality. Does it have a Terra Firma suspension lift as well?
Holyshit what is up with terra firma? I assumed it was shit based on looks alone. Is it and yes I think ECD uses it.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Holyshit what is up with terra firma? I assumed it was shit. Is it and yes I think they use it.

If it is not shit I would like to know.
I wouldn't ever run their shocks, but honestly I'm a fan of their springs. The rates seem consistent and they offer a pleasant ride.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM
ECDoutlet
East Coast Defender
Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You can do what ever you like. The five part Q&A article was BS and 1/2 truths. After reading it I would say it has the opposite effect from intended, unless you were trying to insult our intelligence. But how are you any different the the rest of the usual suspects (Himilaya, LandRoverSUK/Arkonik, etc), hence the Perlman comment.

-Jeff
We had very little input on the 5 part Q and A. We sent a huge response to the company that contacted us and it was cut and adjusted from what we said about our vehicles. I think the article was tailored towards people with RR Sports who want to off road.

At the end of the day we are mega busy building great trucks that our customers enjoy very much, so I think we will just carry on doing so. You can carry on being personally insulted by builds and PR if you wish, a little dramatic.

If you want to tear us apart, come and see us and say we are shit, at least then your opinion is based on a real experience, not from behind a keyboard. We have 18 people working full time in our shop and we are providing a pretty good living for our team and their family who are also happy with what we do.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:13 PM
ECDoutlet
East Coast Defender
Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Who said I was offended? Tear you apart? Seriously?

You asked for suggestions: If you do good work, on time, and in budget, people will notice and you will be successful. If not, then all of the cartwheels and fancy pictures wont matter.

-Jeff
Thanks for the solid advice, we will try to build a business around that. We have only started PR now we have a bullet proof process and a great team to match.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Holyshit what is up with terra firma? I assumed it was shit based on looks alone. Is it and yes I think ECD uses it.
They make some of the worst shocks on the market as far as I know. Some of their stuff is okay, some might be great. I have sliders and a winch bumper from Terra Firma. I mainly bought them because they look okay and the price was right. I wasn't expecting ARB quality, and they definitely aren't. The powder coating on the sliders is flaking off from when I step on them to get in the truck.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, low budget stuff. Some is okay, but all low budget.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:28 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Now ya'll are hatin' I have Terra Firma stuff on the Bag of Dicks Runner man you really are a bunch of haters.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Now ya'll are hatin' I have Terra Firma stuff on the Bag of Dicks Runner man you really are a bunch of haters.
What exactly do you want people to say? Do you want people to say a product is great if it is not? This is an enthusiast site where we should be free to discuss the good and bad and not be forced to be politically correct.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:50 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
John, I'm being funny.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
John, I'm being funny.
Raub:
Is the Bag of Dicks still for sale.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
John, I'm being funny.
Oops.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:27 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Raub:
Is the Bag of Dicks still for sale.
Yes, I have it up in Virginia as we speak at a shop getting some odds and ends tidied up and when that work is complete the price will go up substantially.
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:44 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Alright I have to ask. What is with this rack? Isn't this a crew cab rack?

It looks absurd on a wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2237658225.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	148725  
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:38 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm done getting upset about these glam builds and the shops that churn them out. The people that buy these trucks are just the typical average Americans and just want something flashier and more "authentic" than the guy down the street. Because of where I live and where I usually work on my truck, I run into these owners from time to time. I do my best to be cordial and to never be rude but I don't go out of my way to befriend or associate with these guys. These more-is-better owners and their clone trucks are completely boring to me.

I've given up getting angry about people trashing beautiful trucks. This era was inevitable with the advent of the 25-year old Defender. For every one of these glam atrocities being sold on some website, there's a beautiful white 110 in some guy's garage somewhere. It has patina and County stickers on the paint, and a 2.5NA under the bonnet. He loves it and uses it for practical things. He doesn't frequent this site and you'll certainly never read about this guy and his truck on Uncrate, but I'm really happy that he's out there and keeping it pure.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat