Ecd - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:49 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Opinions of these builds are useless unless you are a potential customer. This type of thread is stale, and most have said the same shit over and over and I've only been here a few years to recognize it really must grind their gears when someone does something different with a truck.
If you are a purist that's great, I bet your truck is the best LR in the world.

Good looking 110. Don't think twice about any of this hating, these guys aren't your customers anyway.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Any pics of the gauges?

I think to Jeff's point, the issue is with the blatant marketing that really is nothing more than PR. That whole five questions about big tires and a winch is marketing speak and shows nothing about the quality of your product.

There is nothing about your methods to create these vehicles:
How you build
How you repair when you restore
Why you pick what you pick
How you warranty
Damn, I'm sure people would like to hear about how you tell a customer no.

I'm glad you are able to make a living out of something you enjoy but I would be shocked if you ever had a customer that had any real land rover knowledge.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:55 PM
ECDoutlet
East Coast Defender
Defender

https://www.facebook.com/Eastcoastde...type=3&theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Opinions of builds are useless. This type of thread is stale, and most have said the same shit over and over and I've only been here a few years to recognize it really must grind their gears when someone does something different with a truck.
If you are a purist that's great, I bet your truck is the best LR in the world.

Good looking 110. Don't think twice about any of this hating, these guys aren't your customers anyway.

Well said.

I have not been here long, but busting a company's balls over a build you don't like and then busting them again when they come on here to "defend" themselves is ridiculous.

Press releases, facebook advertising and all the other stuff is simple marketing. Most successful companies utilize some form of media to advertise.....it's good business sense.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
One of the problems... This is a technical enthusiast site. I don't see ECD coming on here and providing any constructive input to the community. Nothing technical. Not helping anyone. Not providing insight into how they have done something new. You want some slack given to your business, contribute to the community.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
One of the problems... This is a technical enthusiast site. I don't see ECD coming on here and providing any constructive input to the community. Nothing technical. Not helping anyone. Not providing insight into how they have done something new. You want some slack given to your business, contribute to the community.
I think they have sold some take off items which has made customers happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Well said.

I have not been here long, but busting a company's balls over a build you don't like and then busting them again when they come on here to "defend" themselves is ridiculous.

Press releases, facebook advertising and all the other stuff is simple marketing. Most successful companies utilize some form of media to advertise.....it's good business sense.
Most successful restoration shops don't advertise. These shops that keep popping up selling "restored" defenders are more about marketing/selling/doing whatever the customer says than are about the product.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
ECDoutlet
East Coast Defender
Defender

We do try, maybe not enough on the forum, but we have our "ask Glenn" facebook feature. Glenn is our workshop manager and has been at Land Rover Dealerships for over 25 years. He will do his best to answer any questions any of you may have. We use a hashtag feature on facebook, instagram etc... the normal channels, if the question gets to him, he will answer!

I myself try to offer parts to you guys at good prices, old, difficult to get parts! We have a couple of 2.5 diesel turbo full drivetrains up for offer, 2 full right hand drive fully assembled bulk heads and also a NAS 110 assembled bulk head too!
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:26 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Defender View Post
I don't think we will ever build a truck that anybody/everybody on here likes.

At least the customers who design them do, that's all that matters hey?
i like it [mostly].

maybe all the "accessories" people will have their own opinion of.
suspension, wheels, tires, racks, radios, seats.... people will always disagree. let them, thats the fun!
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:26 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Any pics of the gauges?

VDO Viewline is what I've been using -- just gut the factory housing, make a new faceplate and dop the gauges in.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
VDO Viewline is what I've been using -- just gut the factory housing, make a new faceplate and dop the gauges in.

-Ash

Pic?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:33 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Posting these from my phone so not sure how well it'll work...

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Posting these from my phone so not sure how well it'll work...

-Ash

[IMG]www.imgur.com/Fn3bE71[/IMG]
[IMG]www.imgur.com/XIUV5Sx[/IMG]
nope
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:42 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I see them no problem from a browser on my desktop. Looks awesome, Ash. If it had a tach, it would be a tough call between that setup and Dakota.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:47 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Re-hosted. Look again Barry.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Re-hosted. Look again Barry.

-Ash
Fairly simple and well executed. Only reason I ask is I have been a LS/puma dashed truck with the factory gauges and it all worked so it's weird no one else seems to do this.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:05 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Opinions of these builds are useless unless you are a potential customer. This type of thread is stale, and most have said the same shit over and over and I've only been here a few years to recognize it really must grind their gears when someone does something different with a truck. If you are a purist that's great, I bet your truck is the best LR in the world. Good looking 110. Don't think twice about any of this hating, these guys aren't your customers anyway.
Well said.

Man what a bunch of haters. Why would they contribute when people shred a build?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:11 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice job on the dash gauge insert and cluster choice.
I enjoy seeing such innovation.

We had a LHD Puma Dash at one time and thought about doing something similar.
Also compared pictures of the LHD Puma Dash to the RHD Puma Dash and thought that it would be possible to reconfigure or modify a RHD Puma Dash to work in a LHD vehicle if the right work was done.
Anyone explore this first hand?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Fairly simple and well executed. Only reason I ask is I have been a LS/puma dashed truck with the factory gauges and it all worked so it's weird no one else seems to do this.
From all the wiring schematics I've studied I don't know of any reason you can't. The decision for me was based solely on the desire to have a better read on the vitals of the truck. The factory temp gauge leaves you guessing, and it's always nice to know exactly what kind of oil pressure numbers you're posting -- especially on a new build.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Well said.

Man what a bunch of haters. Why would they contribute when people shred a build?
Please you started this thread. Did you honestly expect anything else? You fucking stirred the pot. I'm guessing half the people on here saw the truck on uncrate or are on ECD's email list including me and didn't start a thread on it.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2016 03:23 PM ------

And shred a build? Never did they come on here and talk about all that went into the build. They got shredded for the absurd marketing more than anything.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Very clean instrumentation. Thumbs up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat