Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:23 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
EBay Motors is a joke

EBay's policies regarding bidder behavior are a joke. I am currently bidding on a rig that shall remain unidentified but would be relevant to readers of this forum. I was outbid by someone with less than 15 feedbacks that has 67 bid retractions over the past six months. How does EBay justify allowing this person to continue to bid? I think if EBay made you post a credit card against the security deposit then one of two things would happen; (i) EBay Motors would collapse as the shills would be run out of the process or (ii) EBay Motors would become a place where people feel that they are not being gamed and gain some degree of legitimacy.

I absolutely refuse to bid against false bidders and I have informed the seller. Will be interesting to see his reaction.
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:33 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Agreed completely! I'm curious to the seller's reaction but I don't think this pattern will change. eBay is a HUGE money making machine and credibility isn't on their short list of concerns.
Dealers almost always use ebay (the auction listing, NOT the classified listing) as a means of advertising, never expecting the auction process to actually work. I suspect private sellers do the same, though I have sold and bought cars that have truly been through the eBay auction process, though I think that is the minority these days.

Bottom line is that in most cases a buyer with cash that is ready to buy should be dictating the market. So reach out to the seller (which you have done), make you intentions known and maybe you'll strike a REAL agreement....or maybe he's got a schill account and is not serious about selling.

I haven't bought a vehicle through eBay is years, but based on what I've seen over the past five or so years probably wouldnt' use eBay for anything other than a lead generator. I'd just reach out to the seller directly, make your offer and take it from there.
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:36 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Yup, agreed. I don't even want to bid because of that nonsense. I won't even mention that the majority of defender "parts" are LEDs, carbon bling, Ford products and Discovery "also fits". It's just another store on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Precisely right - a lead generator is basically all that it has become. I just bought our TDI from a dealer that had it listed on eBay - they had 0 feedback which made me a little cautious, but then once the whole process ran it's course I completely understood why. I saw the auction on eBay, I called the dealer, I set up an appt to go see the car, and I bought it straight from them. When I was completing my transaction I asked about their 0 Feedback and the guy just laughed and said no one actually every buys from eBay motors anymore but that it was cheap and effective advertising for them. Made sense. The auction for my car was still up for about 10 days after I'd bought the car...
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
i have never "sold" my vehicles on eBay....every one (9 of them) ended before the 24hr limit with an email to the high bidder - or with someone offering what I wanted. I use it only for advertising.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
EBay's policies regarding bidder behavior are a joke. I am currently bidding on a rig that shall remain unidentified but would be relevant to readers of this forum. I was outbid by someone with less than 15 feedbacks that has 67 bid retractions over the past six months. How does EBay justify allowing this person to continue to bid? I think if EBay made you post a credit card against the security deposit then one of two things would happen; (i) EBay Motors would collapse as the shills would be run out of the process or (ii) EBay Motors would become a place where people feel that they are not being gamed and gain some degree of legitimacy.

I absolutely refuse to bid against false bidders and I have informed the seller. Will be interesting to see his reaction.
They do that to jack up the price.

That's why I don't use them anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Experienced sellers can set the criteria for bidders whether it's number of successful buys, negative feedback, etc. Jeff called it right. It's ghost bidders jacking up the sell price. I see no real problem with this up to the 'will sell' price or reserve. Some sellers will offer up the vehicle to the closest bidder assuming it isn't their best friend helping to boost the price. Most sellers set that price and are happy to get it. Any bidding beyond is icing on the cake. If a ghost bidder is bumping the price beyond that the seller usually ends up holding the bag or vehicle in this case.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
It's a no reserve bid so shill bidders impact ultimate price. We will see where it goes.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:55 AM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
Same vehicles - over and over

Yes, I agree. It is also interesting that THE SAME vehicles show up again and again. Even after they have "sold" for big money. Clearly, there is an ugly shill game going on. Also, many bidders lack the financial resources to complete the purchase.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton

Quote:
It's a no reserve bid so shill bidders impact ultimate price. We will see where it goes.
Well now, that there's a different kettle of fish.... and it stinks.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:04 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Ebay, not just Ebay Motors, is kind of a joke now. It's no longer your average person selling the junk they find in their basement. 90%+ of search results aren't from your individual sellers. They're from small companies or shit made in China. I've just dealt with it. Craigslist and forums have largely stepped in to take over what Ebay isn't.
As far as the price being run up..... That, in my opinion, is as much fault of the real bidder as well as the shill bidder.
I NEVER place a bid before the end of the auction. What's the point? Some shill bidder or un-experienced Ebayer will just keep outbidding you by $50 until the price is stupid. I figure out the absolute most amount I'm willing to pay for something WITH shipping. The I subtract the shipping price and add some weird dollar amount like $5.81. The result is my Max Bid amount which I'll enter with about 7 seconds left. This usually doesn't leave enough time for amateurs to react. If I get it, great. If not, then at least I didn't pay more than I wanted.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
If you are serious about running an auction site, 67 bid retractions over six months should result in the bidder being banned. Hell, it should be a three strike rule on a lifetime basis for retractions other than for seller changing description. It discourages serious bidders such as myself from using the service and also makes me much more curious about the potential for this type of behavior in all other EBay auctions.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:10 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton

I got my moniker from early days of ebay because sniping other bidders was so ezzzzzzz. I'd use a service like esnipe to set my bid at the last seconds of an auction then walk away. If I won, I won. If not, at least I didn't get caught up in the emotions of actively bidding at auction's end.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:21 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
If you are serious about running an auction site, 67 bid retractions over six months should result in the bidder being banned. Hell, it should be a three strike rule on a lifetime basis for retractions other than for seller changing description. It discourages serious bidders such as myself from using the service and also makes me much more curious about the potential for this type of behavior in all other EBay auctions.
Call eBay and complain.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:37 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
i have never "sold" my vehicles on eBay....every one (9 of them) ended before the 24hr limit with an email to the high bidder - or with someone offering what I wanted. I use it only for advertising.
I've bought almost every car I've owned in the last 10 years on Ebay. Didn't bid on a single one. Just called the seller.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Someone mentioned craigslist... Didn't I hear that eBay bought craigslist also..???.. I know they bought PayPal...

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2014 12:31 PM ------

Looking into it they bought a 28.4% interest in 2004 for 32 million and I heard just recently that they acquired more interest...
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:57 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

It is far worse to be a seller.

I have "sold" several Series trucks on eBay only to find the deals never completed. Always a story as to why I should bring the truck to them.

When I referred to the auction verbiage that stated no delivery, it resulted in complaints to eBay that I didn't really own the vehicle.

If it was ever worth it, it isn't now.
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

eBay is full of harsh rules for sellers, but often lets joy bidders who never pay continue to bid and decline to follow through with no real penalty.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM
StphNieuw
Stephan
Former owner of a 84 D90 RHD 2.5 NA

Always have had crappy experiences. On my last sale the bidder was supposedly a marine researcher that was out at sea but asked if I could ship it at my dime and he would mail a bigger check once he got to shore.

Yeah that was really gonna happen.
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have been outbid by shill bidders in the past, the trick is to not be the guy "on the hook" , but be next in line. Either the shill runs up the high bidder and ends up winning and the seller sends a "second chance" offer to the poor guy who is "on the hook" (2nd chance offers are kinda suspicious looking to most folks and they will not bite) ...OR the hook ends up winning at a price he was not willing to pay at all, and he backs out of the sale and the 2nd chance offer comes to you.

Either way, to say eBay or eBay Motors sucks on the whole when you have experienced difficulty buying a vehicle on a site not designed for auto sales is a bit of a leap. Last year on ebay Motors 250 parts/accessories sold for every one vehicle sale. Craig, Josh, Jason, all get it- if you want the car, just CALL the seller and do the deal. Just make sure you do it in time- they can't end the listing with less than 48 hours on the clock. If you can't get some real person to person communication going, then don't get to emotionally invested in it. I like to send a message and ask if there is a buy it now price, or if it is for sale locally. If they respond quickly it is a good sign. If there is a legit buy it now price, I get contact information and call them directly. If it is for sale "locally" that usually means Craigslist or Autotrader where you can see their asking price and again, direct contact information. Listing it on eBay and then ending the listing and following through with the sale is considered circumventing eBay Fees but if you can contact the seller via phone or even a direct email, then who is to say that you didn't get their number from the For Sale sign in the window or see it on Craigslist/Autotrader and contact them that way? If they end the auction before the 48 hour warning then they are only out whatever they paid to list it in the first place, and considering the massive exposure that these listings get it is well worth that cost.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ebay, motor