Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Ebay has become worthless!

I have tried a million ways to search Ebay these days and they all seem to pull up 5,000 things, 4,500 of which have nothing to do with a Defender.
Chrome door handle stickers, injectors for every other car made, HID light kits.
It has become unusable!

Just a Rant, but any ideas would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
I have tried a million ways to search Ebay these days and they all seem to pull up 5,000 things, 4,500 of which have nothing to do with a Defender.
Chrome door handle stickers, injectors for every other car made, HID light kits.
It has become unusable!

Just a Rant, but any ideas would be welcome!
Oh man, I noticed that about a month ago - I think it's 1-2 new vendors who sell chrome parts and mostly unrelated discovery/RR items. And many actually say "fits Defender." Infuriating.

The search that works best for me is 'land rover defender -chrome' and that eliminates much of the crap. But then I still get results like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PARKL...ht_2292wt_1118
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
even s%4t like Ford F150 fuel injectors says "fits Defender 110"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
X3

I noticed too that it's gotten real bad. Unless you are looking for something specific it's pointless to search Defender 90 anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
X3

I noticed too that it's gotten real bad. Unless you are looking for something specific it's pointless to search Defender 90 anymore.
Ayup. I actually mailed the owner of the auction that I referenced above and told him that it's absolutely not a D90 SW part. He said "thanks for telling me" and didn't remove the D90 as a compatible vehicle. Whatever.

I'm sticking to buying from the forum or established vendors who are on the forum in one way or another. Suppose I'll go back to eBay if I want to buy an overpriced used mass air flow sensor.
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
The problem is, it got too commercial.
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

if you want to piss the vendors off, just notify ebay that its not an accurate description of whats being sold.
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

CL has become the same way. They let HTML coding be posted and mostly dealers put every auto make in the 'keyword' so their ads come up for every search if it relates to the search or not.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I remember the days when you would search for "Land Rover Defender" and only get around 80 items. Now you get 8,000, literally!

The beauty of eBay and Craigslist used to be that people used it to get rid of their unwanted items, and buyers usually got a pretty good deal. Now, many people use it as a medium to make a living.

One way to minimize this might be to add an option to search and list items as an "individual" instead of a "dealer" or "vendor".
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Plus one for the parts sections on this and a few other sites in addition to the guys selling new and used parts. I have saved a lot of money using these resources
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
even s%4t like Ford F150 fuel injectors says "fits Defender 110"

Actually those Ford F150 fuel injectors do fit if they are the 19lbs ones. Ford mustang and other injectors work.... but that's not the point!!

I do agree eBay has been cluttered up with crap for car you do not need. its more of a vendors lot than a personal selling site now. I usually search Defender and then on the left side narrow it down with what I am looking for. usually get good results. Or sometimes I will put in Discovery or Range Rover parts if I know they are interchangeable because their are a lot more of those.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ebay