Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 13th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Ebay finds that might get the crusher.

The first one has been on a couple months.
Land Rover Defender TD5 4WD | eBay

This one was just listed.
Land Rover Defender 110 | eBay

Seriously, can these just be legal for petes sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2015, 02:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
post the pics and details...
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:47 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
might not be legal but it doesn't mean they are on the radar of CBP. Lots of trucks 'snuck' in this country in the past 5 years. A certain importer got pinched and I think, if anything, CBP is dealing with the red tape and expenses of going through that initial seizure. There may be other rounds of these in the future, most likely we will see another roundup of vehicles like this at some point but until then... drive it like you stole it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2015, 03:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
might not be legal but it doesn't mean they are on the radar of CBP. Lots of trucks 'snuck' in this country in the past 5 years. A certain importer got pinched and I think, if anything, CBP is dealing with the red tape and expenses of going through that initial seizure. There may be other rounds of these in the future, most likely we will see another roundup of vehicles like this at some point but until then... drive it like you stole it!
Should each of your sentences begin with My guess is... or do you have knowledge and/or facts that support your comments?
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:44 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
That's insane.... $60,000... If anyone want's my 2000 TD5 for that kinda cash, give me a call!
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
A certain importer got pinched and I think, if anything, CBP is dealing with the red tape and expenses of going through that initial seizure. There may be other rounds of these in the future, most likely we will see another roundup of vehicles like this at some point but until then... drive it like you stole it!
Which importer got pinched? What exactly are you talking about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:49 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
wait, no one followed the massive seizure that happened last year?

is Aaron like voldermort around here?

Pretty sure I am not connecting dots that are too far spread. If Will is still working on getting vehicles returned and CBP is still processing those trucks it is safe to say this isn't the only round of this we are going to see.

When has the government done a single action like this? You think that was the only mass impound that will happen?
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

edit
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
wait, no one followed the massive seizure that happened last year?

is Aaron like voldermort around here?

Pretty sure I am not connecting dots that are too far spread. If Will is still working on getting vehicles returned and CBP is still processing those trucks it is safe to say this isn't the only round of this we are going to see.

When has the government done a single action like this? You think that was the only mass impound that will happen?
What?

Let's play it safe and stick to the facts. Being "pretty sure" and "safe to say" is adding zero value here.
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Yes, Aaron is the asshole who got pinched
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:06 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Why start a thread throwing others under the bus?
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:11 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
What?

Let's play it safe and stick to the facts. Being "pretty sure" and "safe to say" is adding zero value here.
Pretty sure your comment is adding zero value.

I am just offering up the opinion that trucks like these will get pinched eventually. A vin lookup or some CBP agent throwing an ebay search are likely to turn these up. Once they change hands and that vin ends up in the DMV database they will be pretty easy to find. In some cases second and third owners of trucks got hit in the last roundup.

I haven't seen any questionable vehicles posted on D90 in years. This isn't some fear campaign or in the interested of naming names. I am just calling it like I see it, if you prefer to stick your head in the sand without hard 'facts' in this case that's your prerogative.

If I had a truck that was less than 10 years old at time of import I would be sweating it.
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
So, not being completely up on the US rules, but somewhat familiar, I have a question...

After seeing shows on TV like Gas Monkey Garage, or going back a few years, Boyd Coddington, they are building cars from pieces with no real specifics, like safety regs and so on.

What's to stop someone from bringing in a defender in pieces and putting it together as a "custom build vehicle"? (don't tell me all of the crazy Rat-Rods actually have VIN numbers)

I know here in Canada it's possible to do and register. Not possible in the US?
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:28 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
So, not being completely up on the US rules, but somewhat familiar, I have a question...

After seeing shows on TV like Gas Monkey Garage, or going back a few years, Boyd Coddington, they are building cars from pieces with no real specifics, like safety regs and so on.

What's to stop someone from bringing in a defender in pieces and putting it together as a "custom build vehicle"? (don't tell me all of the crazy Rat-Rods actually have VIN numbers)

I know here in Canada it's possible to do and register. Not possible in the US?
It's possible, some gentleman in Florida was doing it for awhile, several of his vehicles ended up posted here.

The difficulty with that would be registering and titling in different states as all of or great states utilize different rules/regs. You may be able to build a car like that but it may be for show purposes only (i.e. not legal to drive on roads). Its a crap shoot really, if we could all make cars and title them without saftey regs people across this nation would be building cars form boneyards and driving them around play demolition derby. I don't think its that easy
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
]
Seriously, can these just be legal for petes sake.
Bypassing all the conjecture and un-informed comments in this thread, do you know these two trucks to not be here legally or just casting aspersions ? I have seen many trucks that are here with special dispensations like the Doctors without Boundary's etc trucks that have popped up. I'm not saying these two are here legally but as a man in the arena I have seen some things done for VIP's that I cannot affect.

I think your thread title was a poor choice.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 13th, 2015, 05:56 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I'm just always amazed at the issues with Defenders, yet there are so many custom built vehicles all over the media that don't seem to have any problems getting driven on the road.

Watching a video of some Jackass from homeland security complaining that there was no battery under the hood, and "it's just not safe to drive on American roads" as they are taking the wrecking ball to it in the background. (what an idiot). I really feel for you guys down there.

How safe is this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361754505.655420.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	124916  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ebay, ht