Eastnor Castle Land Rover experience - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Kuma
Aaron
None

Eastnor Castle Land Rover experience

Long time follower of defendersource.com, don't have a defender yet but happened to be in Herefordshire last week so booked half day driving experience in a 110. Thought I would share my experience. Great opportunity to drive a modern 110 with a Land Rover instructor. My instructor was Paul, lead instructor. Great guy. New the ins and outs of the 110. Did a great job showing me some off road driving skills. He even taught my wife to drive a manual for the first time, which I have tried to do but failed. If you get a chance the driving experience at Eastnor was a blast. Lots of Land Rovers in testing phase driving around the estate. Land Rover has been using Eastnor for vehicle development for a long time. For me it was a dream come true to drive one, been looking for the right one to buy and restore, hopefully in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eastnor.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	155077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eastnor Defender.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	155078  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Thanks for sharing! you may be one of the last. I wonder when they will take the Defenders out of that programme.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Kuma
Aaron
None

Paul said probably real soon. They need to keep the ones they have running for 3-4 years for all the training they do with emergency response teams (he wouldn't say specifically who they train) so won't be much if any availability to general public to drive. Bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Long time follower of defendersource.com, don't have a defender yet but happened to be in Herefordshire last week so booked half day driving experience in a 110. Thought I would share my experience. Great opportunity to drive a modern 110 with a Land Rover instructor. My instructor was Paul, lead instructor. Great guy. New the ins and outs of the 110. Did a great job showing me some off road driving skills. He even taught my wife to drive a manual for the first time, which I have tried to do but failed. If you get a chance the driving experience at Eastnor was a blast. Lots of Land Rovers in testing phase driving around the estate. Land Rover has been using Eastnor for vehicle development for a long time. For me it was a dream come true to drive one, been looking for the right one to buy and restore, hopefully in the near future.
Aaron,

Congrats on your visit to Eastnor sir! It is a special place! I've had the pleasure of getting to know the team at LRE Eastnor during the past year and they are a really great group of people! I was fortunate to visit there in February while working on the big seizure case and then again in November when I took a dozen or so of my clients to the UK following our victory in that case. Here is a link to a video of the earlier visit last year, put together by brother, Matt:

And, here's a picture of me and my wife with my clients back in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Thanks for sharing! you may be one of the last. I wonder when they will take the Defenders out of that programme.
Mark,

If I recall correctly, in speaking with the instructors, I was taken to understand that these last Defender 110's will remain permanent fixtures in the LRE Eastnor fleet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8194.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	155083  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Kuma
Aaron
None

Will,

Fantastic video, I recognize the two back to back hills early in the video, called the "American hills", don't remember why he called them that. Your day was much wetter than mine! Good looking group, awesome way to celebrate victory!
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Awesome!

On our recent trip to UK, we had looked to stop there, or at least at the museum. However it was Sunday when we were in the area, and on the day we could go see the center drive SI prototype, there was a drive-in happening with an estimated 2000 show cars coming!

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Great news Will! it'll be a sore point though if the new Defender doesn't meet expectations.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover