Early 110s and 90s vs Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Early 110s and 90s vs Defenders

Hey guys, I was just wondering about the difference between pre-defenders(Land Rover 110/90) and Defenders. Just curious. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Plenty...but not the shape.
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Fact: Land Rover Defenders are chick magnets. I once had two college girls on a highway (in a mustang) honk at me and yell cool car. They were probably drunk but as a highschooler, I never forgot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2014, 11:53 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I don't own one, but I believe the biggest difference is in the suspension. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The 90 and 110 have leaf springs similar to the old Series where as Defenders have coil over.

I'm just a stupid naive Discovery and Range Rover owner. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Pre-Defenders had drum brakes in the back, thicker aluminium bodies and were less prone to electrolytic reaction. The front seats were a bit further out.

And the engines sucked. All of them.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:06 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I don't own one, but I believe the biggest difference is in the suspension. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The 90 and 110 have leaf springs similar to the old Series where as Defenders have coil over. I'm just a stupid naive Discovery and Range Rover owner. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
False.

Old December 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Pre-Defenders had drum brakes in the back, thicker aluminium bodies and were less prone to electrolytic reaction. The front seats were a bit further out. And the engines sucked. All of them.
false. I have the 3.5l engine and it has never given me any issues. Then again, I do drive it every day so that really helps reliability.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Earlier trucks had thicker body panels, galvanized body cappings. The differences between an early 90 and 110 and the 91 and up "defender" is simply the company named that series of trucks because they had introduced the "Discovery" and didn't want product line confusion. A 90 became a Defender 90 and a 110 became a Defender 110. That was the change.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Pre-Defenders had drum brakes in the back, thicker aluminium bodies and were less prone to electrolytic reaction. The front seats were a bit further out.

Took a lot longer for disc rear brakes to arrive than that!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
False.
It actually came with range rover coils for suspension. Coil suspension in land rover 110/90s were the improvements it had over the series land rovers. That's the extent of what I know as a fact.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:33 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
It actually came with range rover coils for suspension. Coil suspension in land rover 110/90s were the improvements it had over the series land rovers. That's the extent of what I know as a fact.
Thanks for that enlightenment.
Don't recall from where I obtained that misinformation.

Where would we exist without these forums. Now if the members on range rover.net would get that. Their response is always "use the search tool". Like they don't want to be bothered.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
actually the 110 springs are considerably larger in diameter in the rear than range rovers and discovery's. All of the pre 1999 coil sprung trucks share the same suspension design and components but the springs and spring rates varied quite a bit. Some were linear some were progressive etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 10th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Landyman1
Landyman

I guess it must be for the County as mine has range rover type springs and they are the originals. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2011262325.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	108358 My buddy's F-150 has a massive lift kit on it. Just gives you an idea of how tall defenders are compared to normal cars
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:43 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
actually the 110 springs are considerably larger in diameter in the rear than range rovers and discovery's. All of the pre 1999 coil sprung trucks share the same suspension design and components but the springs and spring rates varied quite a bit. Some were linear some were progressive etc.
Don't forget the rear inner helper spring typically found on 110 HCPU and 130s...

Old December 10th, 2014, 08:01 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
false. I have the 3.5l engine and it has never given me any issues. Then again, I do drive it every day so that really helps reliability.
Overheat it once (except for Mark's engine), then the sleeves drop and push compression in the cooling system and the engine will be useless. It's a bad design without a lip in the bottom of the bore to hold the sleeve in place.

Quote:
Pretty accurate...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Disagree. Unless low power output isn't an issue?
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:46 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

^ not entirely true statement there. Yeah, the buick/rover block is not the best design but they take a lot more punishment than one overheating. My 96 4.0 Disco overheated multiple times until I figured out all of the problems. I never had to pull the heads. That truck is still in service by the fourth owner with +150k miles on it. The 3.5 low compression engine is less likely to overheat than it's newer stroked higher compression variants too. The engine design is seldom the root cause of a overheating situation. The water pump, fan clutch and radiator are the primary culprits. Most are unwilling to have the cross-flow radiator rodded or replaced due to inconvenience and stupid high cost.
Plus, the discussion of low power is mute. The logic of many is to install a TDi..... talk about low power! If you want reliability and power install a GM transplant. I ran a 4.3 V6 for 12 years until I spun a bearing in a bad mishap at Mountain Lake. I've got a LT1/ZF/LT230 going into my 110 and a LS1/4L60E/Dana300 sitting in my ongoing SIIA 88" coiler project
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I garrentontee you there is an exception to every rule.
You must have gotten the only rover V8 that the factory built to a high standard!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
There's so much misinformation here.... Did Fox News sponsor this thread?
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Hey guys, I was just wondering about the difference between pre-defenders(Land Rover 110/90) and Defenders. Just curious. Thanks!
Far too general. They're very similar in nature, but if we're talking about differences, there were some even within "pre-defenders" - i.e. depending on which range of years you're talking about, early 110s had differences when compared to later 110s (but still pre-defenders).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat