Earlier defender value - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Earlier defender value

This may have already been answered on another thread, but I could not find it. Does anyone know of a good source to get a value for an 86 D110? I've tried kbb and nada, and my insurance company (usaa) but no luck. Any options beside getting an appraiser to come look at it? Thanks.
Francois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is so condition dependent that an appraiser is the only way. There is the "black book" for collector cars, but I don't know if it is listed.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:38 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
USAA is retarded. If its not listed in the U.S. blue or black books, they wont do any additional research. They will simply take the value of an RRC or some other LR from that year, and go with that value.

Im insured through American Collectors Insurance. They allowed me to name my own value for my truck, and they gave me a good rate based on that. Too easy.
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Actually USAA told me they would use an private contractor for an appraisal if I file a claim.

So this is what happened... I had quite an experience with American Auto Logistics (AAL, the government contractor) over the past few months, as they moved my 110 from AL to AK. I showed up to pick it up at their Fairbanks location. At first glance, it all looked great, then I noticed one of my antennas dislodged from the roof. After further inspection, I noticed that the top of my roof rack had been hit. I had a sign taped to the dash warning to check overhead clearance, but someone apparently tried to drive it into something that was not tall enough. This caused the roof rack to slide back a foot or so, taking out the antennas and damaging the roof. The worst part is that someone took it to a shop to try and conceal the damage, putting the rack back in place (kinda), and putting 20 miles on it in the process.
So I lucked out and found/documented the damages before leaving the delivery center. I filed a claim with AAL and they denied it, blaming the ocean carrier that took it from Tacoma to Anchorage (they knew of the damage in Anchorage but elected not to inform me about it during delivery). Now I am filing with the government, who in turn will pursue the ocean carrier. The claims lady wants to know the value and I am trying to explain to her that it might be a challenge...
More to follow... I will look into black book and try to find a local appraiser for now...

Francois
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

So you're not looking for an appraisal/valuation for a truck, rather for repair of damage.

New rack
New roof
Paint for New roof
Labor to replace damaged bits with new
Misc parts

What kind of rack was it? Get cash and buy whatever replacement you want.
Talk to RN and SafariHP about $$.
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
So you're not looking for an appraisal/valuation for a truck, rather for repair of damage.

New rack
New roof
Paint for New roof
Labor to replace damaged bits with new
Misc parts

What kind of rack was it? Get cash and buy whatever replacement you want.
Talk to RN and SafariHP about $$.
I already have the repair estimates (thanks to Stephen). The government still needs the overall value of the truck to decide whether they are going to fully pay for the repairs or not, just like an insurance company would.
Francois
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need an appraisal. Age has little to do with it. It is all about condition. Then it is all a crap shoot as the Defender market is whacko.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I already have the repair estimates (thanks to Stephen). The government still needs the overall value of the truck to decide whether they are going to fully pay for the repairs or not, just like an insurance company would.
Francois
I disagree with the Governments stance on this. They need to make it as good if not better than it was when you gave it to them. I am sure the truck is worth more than what the repairs are. Also there should be an appraiser in Fairbanks who can help you out. Luckily you didn't get sent to a remote Alaska unit...

Go to the Salmon Bake at Alaska land (Pioneer Park) and have some crab legs and cobbler and let me know what you think
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I disagree with the Governments stance on this. They need to make it as good if not better than it was when you gave it to them. I am sure the truck is worth more than what the repairs are. Also there should be an appraiser in Fairbanks who can help you out. Luckily you didn't get sent to a remote Alaska unit...

Go to the Salmon Bake at Alaska land (Pioneer Park) and have some crab legs and cobbler and let me know what you think
The Salmon Bake is one of the few places we have not visited. I found a couple of appraisal options in Fairbanks. I`ll give them a call later today.
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Use Copley's website and other sellers on ebay, etc. as a source for comps on 110's values.

Clay
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The same thing happened to me when they trucked mine from NC to Cal. The trucking company hit an overpass and f.ed up the roof. After seeing the estimate for a new roof, headliner and sunroof plus labor they just asked what I payed for it and wrote me a check for the full price of the truck minus 1500 for buyback. They called it a total loss but the truck was not registered yet so there is no record or salvage title.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat