Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
E30 convertible?

So the wife's MINI is becoming a pain in the ass and its time to think about a replacement. I have recently had a fixation on E30 convertibles ('82-'91) 3 series BMWs. They were my dream car in high school when new, and they are cheap now, $2-4K depending on condition for convertibles. I think they will be classics in a few years. I know maintenance will be an issue, but I would rather put $ in a fun "semi-classic" than a dying MINI. It would be my wife's daily commuter, and she is up for it. Either that or she wants a new JK..... I like the 3er and a bundle of $ left over for maintenance myself...

Anyone have experience with them?
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Working on them frequently. It is hard to find a more robust and better built car. More reliable than the newer E36 and E46 due to their simplicity and more robust cooling (no plastic to start with).
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Working on them frequently. It is hard to find a more robust and better built car. More reliable than the newer E36 and E46 due to their simplicity and more robust cooling (no plastic to start with).
Great to hear! I think it would be fun to find a good one, get it perfect, and hold on to it for a long time (I rarely get rid of cars).
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
So the wife's MINI is becoming a pain in the ass and its time to think about a replacement. I have recently had a fixation on E30 convertibles ('82-'91) 3 series BMWs. They were my dream car in high school when new, and they are cheap now, $2-4K depending on condition for convertibles. I think they will be classics in a few years. I know maintenance will be an issue, but I would rather put $ in a fun "semi-classic" than a dying MINI. It would be my wife's daily commuter, and she is up for it. Either that or she wants a new JK..... I like the 3er and a bundle of $ left over for maintenance myself...

Anyone have experience with them?
I have an 84 e30 Baur cabriolet with Alpina susoension, Alpina closed face wheels, alpine- close ratio gear box, mtechnic front and rear spoilers. Hartge gauge pod with additional VDO gauges, Car is Baltic blau metalic with dark blue top.
Power windows, locks, a/c. 140k original miles. If thats something you might be interested in pm me.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
yeah, Uncle Douglas was a BMW nutjob in his past life before he went to the dark side....that was a wild story about that trip to Florida...heh heh

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

oooohhh Baur cab! nice. I always covet a nice E30.. my mother had 3, I had an 87'.. a good clean one is worth buying IMO. Future classic indeed. If it were me I'd pick up a super clean 2002. Bags of fun that car is..
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I've had more e30's than I can remember, great cars, super robust and easy to maintain. Parts are inexpensive and there's a pretty great forum for them (probably several) but I used to be on bmwe30network a lot. There are a lot of guys there that are really into original equipment, tasteful mods and maintenance. They can help you troubleshoot just about anything and if you're looking for stuff, I still have a ton of old e30 parts at my house including a complete black leather sport interior (was actually about to post this on Craigslist this week).
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
It is a great race platform, too. :-). You cannot go wrong with these cars. Be sure to change the timing belt and fluids. Happy with synthetic all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1449682873.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	83365  
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Yes I hear the timing belts are the kicker.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
My current daily driver is a '91 318is. Its a great little car. Simple to work on, very reliable, and a blast to drive. They arent too difficult to find in decent shape. I would recommend joining the forums on www.e30tech.com and www.r3vlimited.com, and then browsing their classified sections. Plenty of great cars out there. Good luck and be sure to post some info and pics of the one you eventually grab.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
10mm. E30s are the tits. I rocked one for a few years that I found via Dweb. It was glorious. Sold it to my brother for $1 because it needed some work when I was TDY at a training base and just left it there since he was coming back to said base for training. It lived for a long time after that until it was rear ended on the streets in Philly. Passed on again to my cousin. Rocked again until by my cousin/uncle until my cousin totaled it. It had roughly 240k on the original engine. It was awesome. Great cars. When I do not have a greyhound as a family member anymore I may get another one. Go for 325s though. The six banger is what you need.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
The other Doug(roving beetle) also has an e30, he wasn't "looking" to sell it though.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The floor prices on these cars have gone up 2-3x that last two years due to their popularity on the two big endurance racing series, ChumpCar and 24 hours of LeMons. In a 110 car Chump field, you have 30 E30s and 10 E36s. As such, it is becoming harder to find a clean chassis car with bad head for sub $500. They are put there and I picked up an (is) for $350 this winter.
The good news is you can land interior parts, window regulators, glass, etc for free as all these parts get scrapped curing the build.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
convertible