E-Z Pass toll problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

E-Z Pass toll problem

This is kind of a stupid question but does anyone have a problem with their E-Z Pass or other highway toll pass in their Defenders? Mine seems to only register about 75% of the time. I was wondering if the steep angle of the windshield had anything to do with this? Because most cars have a nice 10-45 degree angle windshield, while ours is like 80 degrees!

I called E-Z Pass to get a front bumper, or licence plate E-Z Pass sticker and they only give them to "special vehicles" and obviously my truck didn't even show up on the list of cars. So now I have to write them a letter and show them photos of the truck and my problem. Will I be helping out our Defender community with this letter? Or do i just have a busted ass E-Z Pass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've been holding off getting an ezpass because I wasnt sure how it would work. I though mabe just mounting it where the ashtray sits. I'd appreciate it if you figured it out. No, I'm not trying to be the first guy to reply to all your post.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
No, I'm not trying to be the first guy to reply to all your post.
Jim, either you love my posts or don't have too much going on in Russia. haha. Hopefully after writing this letter to E-Z Pass, we will be on the "Special Vehicles" list and can all benifit.

I have slammed that E-Z Pass up against the window in all different angles and ways and still nothing 100%. I've tried it up high and down by the ash tray and still nothing that works 100% right. I've had to get out of my truck and wave it around like a madman to get the gate to lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

weird i thought ezpass worked off radio waves which would mean it could be anywhere in the car
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

who needs an E-Z pass, coming back from mar i went through the E-Z pass by mistake. the trailer plate is low and covered slightly and the 90's plate was covered in mud. no ticket yet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I had a similar problem with my EZPass. I have one mounted in my commuter car so I would take it from that car into the D90 and hold it up against the windshield right under the rear view mirror. It worked about 3 out of every 4 times. Eventually, I got a nastygram from the Maine Turnpike Authority asking for $1.75 in tolls, a $70 fine, and a $30 administrative fee.

I squawked and got off by paying the $1.75 fine but didn't want to go through that hassle again. Now, I basically crawl through the toll booth and it has worked every time since. I hate the way those those license plate things look and want to avoid them at all costs.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, my D90 had issues at times with EZ Pass. Also the Freelander with the front defrosting element. EZ Pass makes an alternative unit for problem vehicles that mounts up front on the bumper or something like that.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i've never had a problem, so i guess i'm no help... i bet this weekend driving up to jersey i'll get tagged now that i've said this...
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

I mounted the plate unit on my grill and no problems. The key to getting the special plate tag is telling them you have a heated windshield, that was all it took for me.

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine 110
I mounted the plate unit on my grill and no problems. The key to getting the special plate tag is telling them you have a heated windshield, that was all it took for me.
yeah, the person on the phone I was dealing with said "range rover? do you have a heated windshield?" and I said "no it's the Defender model and I don't have a heated windshield" so she said "no pass then." so then i said "ok then, I have a heated windshield now" and she if you are lieing they will fine me. haha!

seriously, do they want me to go though the E-Z Pass lane with no problems or do you want me to hold it up? do they want to fine me and then have me bitch them out til they drop the fine? I don't understand the logic. I can't wait for the next time it doesn't work. im going to shut off the truck, walk outside, take my time, kick the tires to make sure they are "ok", find the best angle and wave the pass around, walk back, get inside, start it up, warm it up for a minute and then crawl through.
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
yeah, the person on the phone I was dealing with said "range rover? do you have a heated windshield?" and I said "no it's the Defender model and I don't have a heated windshield" so she said "no pass then." so then i said "ok then, I have a heated windshield now" and she if you are lieing they will fine me. haha!

seriously, do they want me to go though the E-Z Pass lane with no problems or do you want me to hold it up? do they want to fine me and then have me bitch them out til they drop the fine? I don't understand the logic. I can't wait for the next time it doesn't work. im going to shut off the truck, walk outside, take my time, kick the tires to make sure they are "ok", find the best angle and wave the pass around, walk back, get inside, start it up, warm it up for a minute and then crawl through.
Down here in DC that would get you rammed!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Down here in DC that would get you rammed!!
in DC? This is a weekly ritual for me in New York. i've already done this on the George Washington Bridge and Verrazano. 50 cars backed up waiting for me, cops yelling at me as I'm yelling back at them. Then they figure why not pull me over after i get though. The truck is weird enough to be carrying some explosives onboard right? Try explaining to them that the snorkel is not a missile launcher.

im not complaining about the cops at all. i like cops. im just complaining about the E-Z Pass people. I might just carry money on me from now on
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Works fine on my series, have them give you a new tag at a service center.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Only ever had problems through a heated windshield. Maybe hold it on the driver's side window? It's RFID so it shouldn't matter too much.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I know in Maine they will let you come to one of their facilities and test the placement of the EZPass. Maybe they'll do that for you down there. Although it sounds like they're not a real pleasure to deal with.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

In Denver we have Express Toll may or may not be the same thing, Instructions call for it to mounted next to ther rear view mirror.

The Top hoop of the external cage blocks it (my guess) so I mounted it to the sun roof. No issues now.

Hope that helps

MH
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Dan,
I've had one on my D90 for over a year with no problems -
About 4 years back I did have a problem with a transponder in my Expedition - I drove from MA to Ohio and back before I realized it was not working properly. I contacted the service center and they informed me that transponders die after x# of years. They swaped my dead on for a new one and it's been working ever since.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

yeah I may just have a crappy E-Z Pass tag. I'll get a new one and see if it works better.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Mine's been fluky lately, too. Mostly in the RRC (heated windshield issue?). I stopped by to pay the asses for the fines it's collected lately because of not working properly... they "tested" it and said "it's fine, keep it." Suggested I lower it on the windshield...

My old Jeeps (similarly vertical windshield) never - NOT ONCE - had a problem with EZ-Pass in nearly 300k miles and [I-don't-want-to-know-how-many] trips through the Bay Bridge toll. So... I'm not sure it's the orientation of the windshield causing issues.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I think they tell you to put it behind the rear view mirror because they dont want lawsuits saying that you got in an accident because your visibility was restricted.

I used to just take it along in other people's cars too when I lived in NJ and hold it up. NEver had a problem. Sounds like you might have a bad unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat